Case Study: Running Chips Out of Specification

Old January 10th 06, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Case Study: Running Chips Out of Specification

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

Not true. Thermal shock of the die itself can cause it to rupture
violently and catch fire. Tom's Hardware did this years ago with an
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird, I believe) and videotaped it.

Would that involve smoke? Their video showed smoke.

You do realize there are usually thermistors under there inside the
socket? One of those could've exploded, too.

Who's designing these things? Al-Queda? :-)

Pat
Old January 10th 06, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...Spout fire, perhaps. But explode as that thing did? Not in my
experience, and I've taken 1GHz procs up to 10x speed *and* voltage to
see what happens,

"Capt'n, the CPU canna' take much more of it!" :-)

Pat
Old January 10th 06, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.history

th wrote:

Agree about the faking, removing the cooler that fast isn't possible
without first untightening the screws/clips or whatever clamps the
cooler to the CPU, this is a process of several seconds!.

Not if the clamp is *already* loose - then it can simply be picked up.
(It's not providing a hell of a lot of cooling in that state however.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old January 11th 06, 01:22 AM posted to sci.space.history

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
k.net...

I was actually going to post a question about cooling CPU chips on
another newsgroup but since your talking about it - I know heat build up

can
cause a computer to crash. But what happens when you take the CPU chip

fan
out of your computer? Does it actually burn up? Isn't a chip made out of
hard material like metal and sand? How hot can a chip get if it's not
cooled? Would it burn your finger if you touched it?

Depends on the, but certainly they can.

My old Compaq had a fan that stopped on Christmas eve. I took it out
and ran the computer for a while an it did not act up. But I did make a
quick trip to the store and picked up another fan and plugged it in

quickly.
I wasn't about to take a chance with it.

As for the video, if explosions like that are typical wouldn't you

hear
about some injury once in a great while?

Old March 12th 06, 03:51 PM posted to sci.space.history

th wrote:

Agree about the faking, removing the cooler that fast isn't possible
without first untightening the screws/clips or whatever clamps the cooler
to the CPU, this is a process of several seconds!.

In a website I visited showing this, the experimenters had done this with
the motherboard horizonal, then tilted it until the cooler fell off.