News: Nasa moon mission could include UK astronaut

Old May 1st 06, 01:58 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Nasa moon mission could include UK astronaut

Von Fourche wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
ups.com...

James Randerson, science correspondent
Wednesday April 26, 2006
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...761376,00.html

UK scientists are in talks with Nasa about joining the US space
agency's plans to return to the moon. The mission could include a
British crew member who would land on the surface.

I don't think this is a good idea. We know the first thing a Brit would
do once they set food on the Moon is have tea and crumpets...

I don't know **** about British test-pilot culture, but I strongly
suspect that upon safing the vehicle after landing, the first Brit on
the Moon will order up pints for the crew.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old May 1st 06, 05:34 PM posted to sci.space.history

Von Fourche wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
ups.com...
James Randerson, science correspondent
Wednesday April 26, 2006
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...761376,00.html

UK scientists are in talks with Nasa about joining the US space
agency's plans to return to the moon. The mission could include a
British crew member who would land on the surface.

I don't think this is a good idea. We know the first thing a Brit would
do once they set food on the Moon is have tea and crumpets.

What do you think they'd smuggle up there - a croquet set or a cricket
bat? The croquet ball would get stuck in the moondust, so I'm betting on
a cricket bat.
Old May 1st 06, 11:54 PM posted to sci.space.history

user37 wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:

"Rusty" wrote in message
ups.com...

James Randerson, science correspondent
Wednesday April 26, 2006
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/arti...761376,00.html

UK scientists are in talks with Nasa about joining the US space
agency's plans to return to the moon. The mission could include a
British crew member who would land on the surface.

I don't think this is a good idea. We know the first thing a Brit
would
do once they set food on the Moon is have tea and crumpets.

What do you think they'd smuggle up there - a croquet set or a cricket
bat? The croquet ball would get stuck in the moondust, so I'm betting on
a cricket bat.

Hm, maybe, but doesn't the "bowler" usually take a few steps' running
start before letting the ball go? And iirc, your "batsman" takes a
stance over the bat, bent at the hip.

Golf was tough enough in the previous-generation lunar-surface suit; I
would assume by the time humans return to the Moon we'll have developed
a suit allowing enough hip and shoulder mobility to play cricket properly.

I suppose, either way, "football" would be out of the question.

--

..

Old May 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Mon, 01 May 2006 18:54:05 -0400, mike flugennock
wrote:

I suppose, either way, "football" would be out of the question.

....It would bring a new definition to the "Hail Mary!" pass :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 2nd 06, 10:40 AM posted to sci.space.history

"mike flugennock" wrote in message
rvers.com...

Golf was tough enough in the previous-generation lunar-surface suit; I
would assume by the time humans return to the Moon we'll have developed a
suit allowing enough hip and shoulder mobility to play cricket properly.

Looking at some people who play the game on Earth, one wouldn't think we've
done it here either.

The GOSPEL OF JUDAS -- Hmmm! Ed Conrad right again!. Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 April 7th 06 01:00 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ CAPCOM UK Astronomy 17 February 21st 06 01:07 PM
OhOh, Say, Can You See? Ed Conrad Amateur Astronomy 8 January 27th 06 08:41 PM
OhOh, Say, Can You See? Ed Conrad Misc 6 January 27th 06 08:41 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM