ASTRO: Moon 122407

Old December 26th 07, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
[email protected]

Default ASTRO: Moon 122407

Couldn't resist imaging on Christmas eve. Seeing was poor (windy).

The last time I imaged the moon was in 1969 (Tech Pan film) and as I
remember, it wasn't as difficult as this image.

FCL-90 II @ f4.5, ST-2000XM
Exposures were absolute minimums for the camera.
imaged in Ha, O3 and S2.

Aligned in AIP4Win and processed in Phototshop CS3 to enhance the
craters and rays.

Hope everyone had a very good Christmas.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon-LbOHS-2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1559

Old December 26th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

wrote:
Couldn't resist imaging on Christmas eve. Seeing was poor (windy).

The last time I imaged the moon was in 1969 (Tech Pan film) and as I
remember, it wasn't as difficult as this image.

FCL-90 II @ f4.5, ST-2000XM
Exposures were absolute minimums for the camera.
imaged in Ha, O3 and S2.

Aligned in AIP4Win and processed in Phototshop CS3 to enhance the
craters and rays.

Hope everyone had a very good Christmas.

Narrowband imaging of the moon for a color shot. That's different! I
looked at the photo and wondered why the color seemed a bit off, then I
read the text. I need to read first.

But at least it does get the exposure time down to where you can get a
shot. With mine I only have H-alpha so can't do "color". Even then the
shortest my camera will go is 0.001" but that's too much for a full moon
(doesn't fit the frame anyway). I found that if I tell it 0.000 seconds
it will give a darker, though still slightly over exposed, shot at full
moon. That zero time does work well though for half moon. From the ADU
count I would say it is about one forth the exposure of 0.001" but it
isn't consistent like 0.001" is. Only when it is a very thin crescent
can I get that to work with the H-alpha (6nm) filter.

With no moon for weeks it is moot anyway. Light snow nearly every day
this month except for a couple of semi clear nights just before 1st
quarter.

Rick

ASTRO: Moon, Aug 16, 07 Ben Amateur Astronomy 1 August 16th 07 03:13 PM
Astro:Moon Starlord Astro Pictures 0 June 19th 07 02:50 AM
ASTRO: Moon (the one and only) Stefan Lilge Astro Pictures 5 May 8th 07 07:16 PM
ASTRO: 1.3 and 2.4 day old moon TheCroW Astro Pictures 2 April 23rd 07 12:15 AM
ASTRO: moon (again) George Normandin Astro Pictures 7 December 11th 06 03:35 PM