There Are No Stupid Questions, Only Stupid People...

Old August 28th 03, 04:29 AM
Ed O'Neill

Default There Are No Stupid Questions, Only Stupid People...

Two years ago I received as a gift a Tasco reflecting telescope. I
have moved since then and have misplaced the meager information that
came with it, so I don't have the model number. I do know it cost
about $300.

My problem is this: I have tried to use it numerous time and run into
a little problem, which is that I have never seen anything -- I mean
anything at all! -- through this thing! All I see is black!

With Mars so close, I've taken it out for another frustrating spin.
After viewing what appeared to be a black bear eating chocolate ice
cream in a blackout, I decided I had to put out a cry for help.

What the h-e-double hockey sticks am I doing wrong!
Old August 28th 03, 02:01 PM
Al Arduengo

"Mick" writes:

"Ed O'Neill" wrote in message
om...
Two years ago I received as a gift a Tasco reflecting telescope. I
have moved since then and have misplaced the meager information that
came with it, so I don't have the model number. I do know it cost
about $300.

My problem is this: I have tried to use it numerous time and run into
a little problem, which is that I have never seen anything -- I mean
anything at all! -- through this thing! All I see is black!

With Mars so close, I've taken it out for another frustrating spin.
After viewing what appeared to be a black bear eating chocolate ice
cream in a blackout, I decided I had to put out a cry for help.

What the h-e-double hockey sticks am I doing wrong!

When people ask why an appliance or computer won't work, the first question
is "Is it plugged in?"

In your case I will ask, did you remove the dust cap? If so, look into the
eyepiece barrel without
an eyepiece. You should see your eye in the center outline of the primary
mirror. This indicates good collimation. If you can't see your eye and/or
it is offcenter, there is an alignment problem. Other wise,
check to see also if there is an eyepiece cap you haven't removed.

Good Luck

I would also suggest that, provided the caps are removed, point the
scope at a daytime sky (AWAY FROM THE SUN!!) and move the focusall the
way in and back out. Does it ever get light? If so, point at te ridge
of a hill or a tree line. Move the focus in out until you see this
ridge clearly. If this works, your scope is fine for initial use. Next
target, the moon....

Best,
-Al