Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 4th 04, 02:49 PM
Ami Silberman

And a British baker is happy baking cookies in "Gas Marks". Are these
actually calibrated, or correspond to anything? It confuses me when I

watch
Jamie Oliver on the Food Network.

AIUI, yes, they are calibrated.

However, a real cook or baker depends more on what the food is telling
them than on arbitrary time-and-temperature settings.

True, and one reason for that is that most oven thermostats are off. One
thing I hate now is non-peer reviewed recipies. You get them mostly in small
press specialty cook books. We have an herb cookbook that calls for boiling
sugar water for ten minutes and pouring it over nuts. A *real* cookbook
would tell you what temperature, or what candy stage it should be at, or at
least describe what you want as a nougat, a hard shell, a praline or
whatever. The first time we tried the recipie we got volcanic glass and a
ruined bowl.

We also have an Indian cookbook that sometimes lists ingredients that never
are mentioned in the preparation instructions, and whose measurements are
clearly converted directly from metric (7/8 teaspoon ground cummin).

And I just made a recipie for "Reisfliesch" by Wolfgang Puck where he
neglected to mention to "bring the pot to the boil" before saying "add the
rice and cook on low for 20 minutes. If you never get it to the boil, it
takes an hour or more.

Old May 4th 04, 03:32 PM
Neil Gerace

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Oh and you can never have too much garlic.

My wife and I regard garlic as a vegetable, not as a spice or
aromatic.

It's a staple, yes.

Old May 4th 04, 03:33 PM
Neil Gerace

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:54:49 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

I can just imagine some American hippies watching those ads and getting
ENTIRELY the wrong idea...

"Let's move to Canada, man. They got it in the stores!"

...Let'em go. Canada's only good for deporting hippies anyway :-)

[Cue Henry Spencer]

"Henry's not here, man!"

Old May 4th 04, 03:37 PM
Neil Gerace

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Mon, 03 May 2004 23:22:51 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

On Mon, 3 May 2004 22:05:15 -0400, (Peter Stickney)
wrote:

And, of course, the truly important values - 6.0#/U.S. Gal. for
100/130, 6.5 #/USGal for JP-4, and 6.7#/USGal for JP-5.

At what temperature? And what the correction for other temps?

...And what values for my favorite, JP-7?

She could tell you, but then ...

Old May 4th 04, 03:41 PM
Henry Spencer

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
"Let's move to Canada, man. They got it in the stores!"

...Let'em go. Canada's only good for deporting hippies anyway :-)
[Cue Henry Spencer]

Now, now, be nice, or we'll start selling lessons in how to kick the butts
of American invaders. :-)
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old May 4th 04, 03:42 PM
Ami Silberman

With any kind of instrumentation, you have to ask "how good does it have
to be?" Any bread maker knows that flours are different in several ways,
including water content. Eggs vary in size. Some vinegars are more
acidic than others. Some cayenne peppers are hotter than others. Some
basil is more more intensely flavored than other. If the cups and
spoons are more consistent than the raw ingredients, then they are good
enough.

And, barring spoiled ingredients, the most important are the wheat and the
yeast. Wheat varies in protein content by a factor of about two, and also in
fineness of grind. Making pizza dough with cake flour is a bad idea;
likewise making a cake with high-gluten flour. Different yeasts rise at
different rates, and may or may not require blooming in warm water before
mixing in. (I have a friend who is a professional baker.)

Old May 4th 04, 03:45 PM
Neil Gerace

"Nicholas Fitzpatrick" wrote in message

Please though, feel free to point me to scientific papers that use kgf
though .... I'd be interested to know what disciplines think this way!

I've seen kgf-m used as a unit of torque in car specs from Japan, of all
places. And they measure power in something called PS. Anyone know how many
watts in a PS? I think 1 PS = 750W, ie a "metric horsepower".

Old May 4th 04, 03:51 PM
Neil Gerace

"Tomas Lundberg" wrote in message

I agree that in everyday usage some "polluting" units are still used, but
as Henry noted they are used less and less: in Sweden atmospheric pressure
is now given in hPa instead of mm of Hg, nails and lumber is specified in
metric units instead of inches, as is also bicycle tyres (but I'm not
sure about car tyres), etc. On the other hand the "size" of an bicycle
is specified as the size of the rims -- in inches.

Michelin tried millimetric car wheel rims in the early '80s, but other
manufacturers didn't join the movement. You could get sizes like 205/60R380
and such. 380 mm ~ 15 inches.

Our atmospheric pressure is measured by the Bureau in hPa too. 1 hPa = 1
millibar. But that's a real kludge as hecto- is not an SI prefix. I would
much prefer to see kPa. Standard atmosphere = 1013.25 hPa = 1013.25 mb =
101.325 kPa.

Old May 4th 04, 04:05 PM
Ami Silberman

Just as a footnote, this was exactly the case with switching to the Euro
in quite a lot of european contries. Suddenly a few hundred million
people had to deal with new units in a very central part of everyday
living. While this did cause a certain amount of confusion for a while,
it worked amazingly well. You just had no choice. This certainly helps.

It also appears to have paid off big time in forcing companies to
rationalize their financial software. Rather than struggling along with
legacy and non-communicating billing, accounting, payroll etc. systems,
running on a mixed lot of legacy hardware, and trying to patch them to
handle the Euro, the European IT community seems to have gone in for
retooling with more modern integrated solutions, and also modernized their
hardware.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM