Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 5th 04, 12:33 PM
Dale

On Wed, 5 May 2004 18:48:28 +0800, "Neil Gerace" wrote:

(In a recent article in the local newspaper it was stated that this year
April had been "*twice* as warm as usual": the average temperature over
the last 80 years for April was 0.5 C, and this year the average

temperature
for April was 1 C... It didn't feel twice as warm, I can tell you...)

Twice 0.5C is twice 273.65K or 547.3K or 274.15C or 525.47F

Or, in layman's terms- "hotter than a two-peckered goat".

Dale

I didn't really just say that
Old May 5th 04, 01:38 PM
Henry Spencer

dave schneider wrote:
Those of us with older houses know that 2x4s were once two inches by
four inches...

Even a modern 2x4 was once two inches by four inches...the difference
is the trip through the planing machine on all 4 sides...

My understanding is that this is no longer true; modern 2x4s are not even
rough-sawed to 2in x 4in. When the machinery got better and it was no
longer necessary to take so much off to go from rough-sawed to finished,
they left the finished dimensions alone and reduced the rough dimensions.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old May 5th 04, 02:19 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Doug..." wrote in message

Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Part of the pre-launch check-out
after the spacecraft was buttoned up was the CM pressure integrity
check. During that check, the cabin was pressurized to roughly 3.5 psia
above ambient sea-level pressure, somewhere between 17 and 18 psia, and
the decay rate had to be lower than something like one-tenth of a pound
or less over a 10-minute monitoring period or the CSM was NO-GO for
launch.

Gotcha, makes sense. After all, since each CSM is "new" you'd probably want
to make sure right be launch it was air-tight.

That pressure was vented down to sea-level prior to launch, both pre-
Fire and post-Fire. But the pressure integrity check was done both pre-
and post-Fire.

Thanks.

Doug

Old May 5th 04, 02:53 PM
jeff findley

"Neil Gerace" writes:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
What you of course do is reuse the oil over and over; your dinner guests
will always remember the taste of fried chicken with the haunting
nuances of shrimp, fish, veal.....

Strain it out and stick it in a diesel engine.

Just don't do this in the UK. News reports say that the police are
cracking down on people using cooking oil as a replacement for diesel
fuel, because they're avoiding paying the taxes on diesel.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old May 5th 04, 03:10 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"jeff findley" wrote in message

Just don't do this in the UK. News reports say that the police are
cracking down on people using cooking oil as a replacement for diesel
fuel, because they're avoiding paying the taxes on diesel.

Umm, please tell me this is a joke or something.

Let's see if I get this straight... they're NOT using diesel... and then
getting in trouble for NOT paying taxes on something they aren't using?

Wow.

Jeff

Old May 5th 04, 03:30 PM
Paul Blay

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote ...

"jeff findley" wrote in message

Just don't do this in the UK. News reports say that the police are
cracking down on people using cooking oil as a replacement for diesel
fuel, because they're avoiding paying the taxes on diesel.

Umm, please tell me this is a joke or something.

No joke.

Let's see if I get this straight... they're NOT using diesel... and then
getting in trouble for NOT paying taxes on something they aren't using?

No, they're getting in trouble for not paying taxes on something they /are/
using [fuel in car]. Technically I think they /can/ use cooking oil as long
as they pay taxes on it.

It's covered quite well he
http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/eco/biofuel.html
Old May 5th 04, 03:59 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:20:15 +0000, Henry Spencer wrote:

Units conversions work better to the extent that they approximate currency
conversions.

Wall Street Journal, May 5, NYUE Closings for May 4, 2004

The inch closed up slightly against the cm yesterday after sluggish
trading in the metric sector.

On the other hand the Kilogram weighed in to counter the anti-metric trend
closing up 1.5 micrograms against the pound.

Old May 5th 04, 04:47 PM
jeff findley

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" writes:

"jeff findley" wrote in message

Just don't do this in the UK. News reports say that the police are
cracking down on people using cooking oil as a replacement for diesel
fuel, because they're avoiding paying the taxes on diesel.

Umm, please tell me this is a joke or something.

Let's see if I get this straight... they're NOT using diesel... and then
getting in trouble for NOT paying taxes on something they aren't using?

Wow.

Some amount of taxes to build and maintain roads is built into fuel
taxes (gasoline and diesel).

I've heard that in the US, this is one reason why kerosene (for
heating) and diesel (for driving) are different colors. I understand
you can get into trouble in the US if you're caught using kerosene in
your diesel engine of your vehicle.

If you look around the "alternative fuel" web sites, you'll find that
in the US, you're expected to pay fuel taxes when you use alternative
fuels. It's just that in the US, it doesn't seem that the police have
much of a desire to "crack down" on the average consumer. I'd be much
more worried if I were a commercial truck driver. They seem to get
pulled over in many states on a regular basis for "safety checks" and
the like.

Jeff
Old May 5th 04, 05:00 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Paul Blay" wrote in message
No, they're getting in trouble for not paying taxes on something they

/are/
using [fuel in car]. Technically I think they /can/ use cooking oil as

long
as they pay taxes on it.

Aren't they paying VAT or something when they buy it?

Old May 5th 04, 05:02 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
The downside is
that you end up with a lot of used oil at the end of the frying cycle.

It's been 19 years since I worked at the buffet, and the scars from
filtering 15 gallons of hot oil a night have finally faded.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM