Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 5th 04, 04:05 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

The Babylonians or someone, as I recall.

Yeah, I knew that, I was being rhetorical. :-)

Seriously though, I do find it interesting that the world as far as I
know has standardized on the 7 day week (even if different cultures disagree
on when it starts, what a day is, etc.)

And you know what, we seem to manage for the most part.

You've got to admit that 60 is evenly divisible by a lot of numbers.

However, when I was doing my biweekly time cards, I got tangled up now
and then between hours:minutes and hours.(minutes/60). It's really
hard to get 4.30 and 3.30 to add up to 8 when you actually mean 4.5
and 3.5, as determined from 7:30 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 4:00.

Tell me about it... trying to log my biking time is a pain. Well would be
if I biked as much as I should.

Just let's stay away from Stardates for now.

Mary

Old May 5th 04, 04:06 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Doug..." wrote in message

Pre-Fire, of course, the cabin was pressurized to roughly 17 psia of
pure oxygen. They also overpressurized the cabin at times during post-
Fire operations, but as Henry says, the air was 40% nitrogen.

Are you sure about this? My understanding is that it was pressurized to 17
psia during tests in order to confirm it could hold a ~3.5 psig.
Would they actually launch at 17psia?

Doug

Old May 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Pat Flannery

Mary Shafer wrote:

Think of how much the peanut oil to fill that baby costs! What you
save on the fryer you spend on the oil. What a way to go.l

What you of course do is reuse the oil over and over; your dinner guests
will always remember the taste of fried chicken with the haunting
nuances of shrimp, fish, veal.....

pat

Old May 5th 04, 04:41 AM
Neil Gerace

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Mary Shafer wrote:

Think of how much the peanut oil to fill that baby costs! What you
save on the fryer you spend on the oil. What a way to go.l

What you of course do is reuse the oil over and over; your dinner guests
will always remember the taste of fried chicken with the haunting
nuances of shrimp, fish, veal.....

Strain it out and stick it in a diesel engine.

Old May 5th 04, 04:48 AM
Doug...

In article , "Greg D. Moore
\(Strider\)" says...

"Doug..." wrote in message

Pre-Fire, of course, the cabin was pressurized to roughly 17 psia of
pure oxygen. They also overpressurized the cabin at times during post-
Fire operations, but as Henry says, the air was 40% nitrogen.

Are you sure about this? My understanding is that it was pressurized to 17
psia during tests in order to confirm it could hold a ~3.5 psig.
Would they actually launch at 17psia?

Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Part of the pre-launch check-out
after the spacecraft was buttoned up was the CM pressure integrity
check. During that check, the cabin was pressurized to roughly 3.5 psia
above ambient sea-level pressure, somewhere between 17 and 18 psia, and
the decay rate had to be lower than something like one-tenth of a pound
or less over a 10-minute monitoring period or the CSM was NO-GO for
launch.

That pressure was vented down to sea-level prior to launch, both pre-
Fire and post-Fire. But the pressure integrity check was done both pre-
and post-Fire.

Doug

Old May 5th 04, 07:39 AM
Neil Gerace

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
news
Well, she could if she knew where her Pratt & Whitney Vest Pocket
Aeronautical Handbook, or whatever it's called, is.

snip

In your own time

BTW Who makes/made JP-7?

Old May 5th 04, 08:50 AM
Tomas Lundberg

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Tomas Lundberg" wrote in message

Anders Celsius, professor in astronomy at Uppsala,
Sweden, originally placed the fixed-points of his thermometer scale the
other way around, with 0 C at the boiling point of water, and 100 C at
the freezing point.

So, how would you measure something at twice the boiling point of water? 2x0
C?

Yes, exactly :-) !
(In a recent article in the local newspaper it was stated that this year
April had been "*twice* as warm as usual": the average temperature over
the last 80 years for April was 0.5 C, and this year the average temperature
for April was 1 C... It didn't feel twice as warm, I can tell you...)

Seriously though, I'm not sure. I guess you started using negative degrees
for temperatures higher (lower? Ah, *warmer*) than the boiling point of
water. I think the main reason for having the inverted scale was that
you avoided negative degrees when you measured outdoor temperatures, which
I guess was almost the only usage of a thermometer back then. There were
other thermometer scales that used an inverted scale, for instance Hauksbee
(or Hawksbee?) and de L'Isle, and Celsius used a de L'Isle thermometer when
he calibrated his scale, and took over the "invertedness" from that.

Tomas

--
Tomas Lundberg | It doesn't make any difference how smart you are,
Ericsson AB | you better not ever prostitute physics.
Old May 5th 04, 11:48 AM
Neil Gerace

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Tomas Lundberg" wrote in

message

Anders Celsius, professor in astronomy at Uppsala,
Sweden, originally placed the fixed-points of his thermometer scale the
other way around, with 0 C at the boiling point of water, and 100 C at
the freezing point.

So, how would you measure something at twice the boiling point of water?

2x0
C?

Yes, exactly :-) !
(In a recent article in the local newspaper it was stated that this year
April had been "*twice* as warm as usual": the average temperature over
the last 80 years for April was 0.5 C, and this year the average

temperature
for April was 1 C... It didn't feel twice as warm, I can tell you...)

Twice 0.5C is twice 273.65K or 547.3K or 274.15C or 525.47F

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM