Nearest Star to Earth?

Old February 19th 04, 05:07 PM
Jo

Default Nearest Star to Earth?

Not being into astronomy or knowing anything about it except for Earth,
Moon, Sun and lots of 'twinkling lights', a work colleague came up with an
interesting question.

Whenever a Space Rocket is launched, do they have to avoid any stars and if
so how? Or is there nothing between Earth and the Moon therefore making it a
clear run for any Space Rocket. What distance is the Moon from the Earth,
and what distance is the nearest star to Earth?

Thanx
Jo

Old February 19th 04, 05:19 PM
Starlord

Someone needs to pickup a 4th grade school book. The nearest "Star" is our SUN,
out side our own solar system the nearest star is 4.8 light years away and a
single lightyear has around 6 billion miles in it.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
World of Dahlias Slideshowv1.0 $10.00
for Windows machines. Email:

"Jo" wrote in message newsb5Zb.90$Qp3.11@newsfe1-win...
Not being into astronomy or knowing anything about it except for Earth,
Moon, Sun and lots of 'twinkling lights', a work colleague came up with an
interesting question.

Whenever a Space Rocket is launched, do they have to avoid any stars and if
so how? Or is there nothing between Earth and the Moon therefore making it a
clear run for any Space Rocket. What distance is the Moon from the Earth,
and what distance is the nearest star to Earth?

Thanx
Jo

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 19th 04, 05:58 PM
Gareth Slee

"Jo" wrote in message newsb5Zb.90$Qp3.11@newsfe1-win...

Whenever a Space Rocket is launched, do they have to avoid any stars and

if
so how? Or is there nothing between Earth and the Moon therefore making it

clear run for any Space Rocket. What distance is the Moon from the Earth,
and what distance is the nearest star to Earth?

Thanx
Jo

Hi Jo

While there's lot's of things to worry about when launching a space craft,
bumping into stars isn't one of them.
The nearest star is our Sun, and that's 93,000,000 miles away.
The distance to the Moon is around 250,000 miles.

HTH
Gareth

Old February 19th 04, 08:01 PM
Jo

Thanks Gareth.......you were the only one able to give a knowledgeable and
sensible reply to my question which i very much appreciate.

Pity that others could only resort to such childish and immature responses
which was not what i would expect from this kind of NG.

Thanks again
Jo