Prton Failure

Old July 2nd 13, 11:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Prton Failure

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course and
range safety destroyed it".

Old July 2nd 13, 02:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:42:24 AM UTC-4, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course and

range safety destroyed it".

reports are russian boosters have no self destruct, if thats true it cant be range safety.

with russias contiuning troubles it concerns me ISS may be endangered in some way.

Like 2 booster failures in a row ground soyuz, the capsules expire, so the crews are brought back and ISS which requires constant human repairs has a glitch and starts tumbling unmanned.....

imagine a out of control ISS sheding modules and dropping them randomly on their ground track.....
Old July 2nd 13, 07:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course and
range safety destroyed it".

I was looking at an embedded video on theatlantic.com - looked like if
range safety did terminate the rocket with extreme prejudice they
seemed to wait quite a while. I suppose some of that was "wait till
the damn thing clears the launch complex" but even then it looked like
they might have waited

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
Old July 2nd 13, 07:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
me[_5_]

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 18:06:06 +0000 (UTC), Rick Jones
wrote:

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course and
range safety destroyed it".

I was looking at an embedded video on theatlantic.com - looked like if
range safety did terminate the rocket with extreme prejudice they
seemed to wait quite a while. I suppose some of that was "wait till
the damn thing clears the launch complex" but even then it looked like
they might have waited

"Russian rockets do not carry self-destruct explosives like Western
boosters, which prevented any attempt to destroy the wayward Proton
before impact. "

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1307.../#.UdMhr5yDn-A

Old July 2nd 13, 08:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Wayne Throop

: bob haller
: imagine a out of control ISS sheding modules and dropping them
: randomly on their ground track.....

Ha! Oh my. Bob prolly thinks if you drop something while on a spacewalk
it'll also fall randomly on the ground track. Probably one of those
who think an orbit is like a little train track in the sky.

Most amusing. The things people like Bob can get to worrying about.
Must amusing indeed.

I mean, not that it wouldn't be a problem if control of ISS were lost.
But the projected scenario... most amusing.
Old July 2nd 13, 08:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Proton Failure

On 7/2/2013 6:42 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course
and range safety destroyed it".

This really looked like an out of control booster. Before whisking off
to arocket I'm going to speculate that it was an engine gimbal hydraulic
failure due to a catastrophic leak, perhaps a seal failure, which caused
an engine to gimbal wildly off-axis which sent the booster off course.
Notice the reddish colored gas coming from the rear at 0:09 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogUkEpBRNUg

which is not undergoing combustion.

Now that I've placed my bet its off to A-rocket to check....

Dave

Old July 2nd 13, 09:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Guess I should not read too much into that reddish gas...

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=427616

/quote

Well, there is one important detail: The Proton rocket has only single
gimbal TVC for its first stage engines. A missing or malfunctioning
engine could easily result in an uncontrollable rocket.

Some German reading about the Proton:

http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/proton.shtml

Interesting is also his own explanation of the brown smoke during normal
launch: One engine is throttled down by a mixture ratio shift resulting
in unburned N2O4 getting released, maybe for a faster initial pitch
over. It is ALWAYS the same engine involved in all launches.

/end-quote

Old July 2nd 13, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Rick Jones wrote:

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...sion/index.htm
l?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course
and
range safety destroyed it".

I was looking at an embedded video on theatlantic.com - looked like if
range safety did terminate the rocket with extreme prejudice they
seemed to wait quite a while. I suppose some of that was "wait till
the damn thing clears the launch complex" but even then it looked like
they might have waited

rick jones

It looks like either platform failure or control system failure.
Old July 3rd 13, 02:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

: bob haller

: imagine a out of control ISS sheding modules and dropping them
: randomly on their ground track.....

Ha! Oh my. Bob prolly thinks if you drop something while on a spacewalk
it'll also fall randomly on the ground track. Probably one of those
who think an orbit is like a little train track in the sky.

Most amusing. The things people like Bob can get to worrying about.
Must amusing indeed.

I mean, not that it wouldn't be a problem if control of ISS were lost.
But the projected scenario... most amusing.

When skylab deorbited everyone was told it would fall somewhere on its ground track and what percentage was over ocean........

a ISS with no astronauts.... control could be lost....
Old July 3rd 13, 03:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks like Russia lost another Proton rocket.

I suspect the flew off course and exploded really means "flew off course
and
range safety destroyed it".

I was looking at an embedded video on theatlantic.com - looked like if
range safety did terminate the rocket with extreme prejudice they
seemed to wait quite a while. I suppose some of that was "wait till
the damn thing clears the launch complex" but even then it looked like
they might have waited

"Russian rockets do not carry self-destruct explosives like Western
boosters, which prevented any attempt to destroy the wayward Proton
before impact. "

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1307.../#.UdMhr5yDn-A

Yeah, my bad on the assumption. I had not seen the video (and in fact the
picture I saw showed a Soyuz rocket :-)

Interesting they don't have flight have flight termination charges. I can
sort of see the argument, but....

OT - F-22 failure Pat Flannery Policy 32 March 13th 07 11:49 PM
OT - F-22 failure Pat Flannery History 42 March 13th 07 11:49 PM
Foam Failure Causes? Ed Kyle Policy 5 August 1st 05 11:55 PM
Failure ... Jon Berndt Space Shuttle 19 September 16th 03 06:10 AM
Another Failure bwhiting Amateur Astronomy 28 September 7th 03 09:58 PM