Colonizing space?

Old March 15th 09, 10:20 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
G. L. Bradford

Default Colonizing space?

"BURT" wrote in message
Stephen Hawking said the stupidist thing. That in order to survive as
a species we need to live on the Moon as ur population grows. I say
ask how much of Earth's resources it would take to set Stephen Hawking
in a house on the Moon? and what about someplace farther?

No. This is just insane.

=================

A concentration camp world is far more insane as well as far more
volatile. [At large life] prospers, and thus the same [at large life]
survives, through going nova into new space and time frontiers; through
division, birth, expansionism and growth. Writers long ago wrote about the
mind, particularly the mass mind or mass genius, enlarging in a vastness of
"raw, alien and tough frontier (meeting the tests)," enlarging due to
enlarged resources of masses and energies, spaces and times, possibilities
and opportunities. Genius and mass genius enlarging within the enlarged
dimensions of frontier universe and resource.

History has already proved many times that mass genius and dynamic
civilization goes away -- breaks up internally; splinters internally -- in
any environment cut off from vastnesses of spatial frontiers. Increasingly
mindless mobs rule, double edged swords ready at any moment to stampede
bloodily over failing rulers and ruling states as well as over each other
(in and of their own more local constant failures and disorders, closed
systemic constant complications, confusions, and finally mind snapping anger
at all the relentlessly increasing "zero tolerance" tyrannies (both natural
and artificial)). Man is more diverse within its own species than is all the
rest of life on Earth in all its billions to trillions of species.
Ultimately it is as diverse as matter and anti-matter ([apparently] of the
same mind until coming together in a shrinking world, a shrinking box,
expanding, growing, states of tyranny).

No matter how alien the outside world, the infant inside the womb develops
[space age] mass and energy, limbs and organs, structures and
infrastructure, to birth, expand, grow, into it. It develops needs and
wants, particular those needs of more space and mass and energy resource,
the womb can no longer satisfy. But some infants are so stupid as to try to
use all its space age stuff to somehow evolve to perfect itself in the womb
to fit itself to the womb indeterminately regarding time...to make "a better
world" rather than proceed in due time to birth, expand, grow, into the
outside universe (to go nova into the universe).

I'm not talking about the Moon or Mars for the place of such birthing,
expansion and growth. I'm talking about cellular structure and
infrastructure. Vast numbers of space island colonies spreading from the
interior regions of the solar system to the far exterior regions. Vast
numbers of general purpose stations, specialized facilities, and space
ships, boats and work pods. And the vastness of the solar system's mass
resources....as well as the [utterly spread vastness] of its energy resource
making them all possible. Before the [horizontal] expansion into all this
would be well underway, we would already be reaching [vertically] for
interstellar space. It does not take completeness in one space frontier
before the means and reach into the next can be and will be begun.
Interstellar space is always close by, being perpendicular to the majority
plane of interplanetary and outer clouds' space. Taking the route of the
plane of the solar system's disk (interplanetary through outer clouds'
[edge] space) to reach interstellar space is to take by far the longest path
to it (by far the longest path to anywhere in it). It's the route to
interstellar space (by way of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn....) always taken in the
movies, by fools!

Again, it does not take completeness in one space frontier before the
means and reach into the next can be and will be begun.

As for the beginning colonies and other beginning structures and vessels
in space, it would not take more than trace salting of certain resource
elements from Earth to provide L-point orbiting island colonies (with
ultimately far more surface area than Earth has in far, far, far, less
volume) with all their beginning needs that the Moon and nearest Earth /
Moon passing asteroids might not readily provide in quantities needed. Much
of it would be coming back down the shute to Earth from the L-point orbiting
colonies as farm, fishery, forestry, and countless other types of everyday
goods (these the majority of goods; in addition to some new higher tech
types of goods). They will also provide Earth orbital services to Earth from
the higher frontier outside, including orbital cleanup operations.

They will also want the world's developing mountains of garbage. For
awhile in the beginning, all the trash-resource Earth can send out.

And everything, every bit of the above, will pay. Increasingly energetic
returns of expansionist-growth frontier, including in the New Frontier the
Old World, over relentlessly diminishing returns of Earth alone. Money is
nothing more nor less than a [token] of energy. The less energy, the more
worthless the token; worthless money and exchange, more volatility to the
human and the great mass of humanity.

GLB

====================

Old March 15th 09, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Davis

G. L. Bradford wrote:

A concentration camp world is far more insane as well as far more
volatile.

And yet you've decided you're going to continue to live in just such
a world.

Why, Brad?

Jim Davis
Old March 16th 09, 05:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Mar 15, 1:24*pm, Jim Davis wrote:
G. L. Bradford wrote:
A concentration camp world is far more insane as well as far more
volatile.

And yet you've decided you're going to continue to live in just such
a world.

Why, Brad?

Jim Davis

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Anson Heinlein

This is a good book.

All these plans are fantasy unless and until we build up our lift
capacity to match our needs. We have about 2,000 tons of fissile
materials on Earth. This is processed into 2 billion fissile triggers
1 gram each. These triggers, using zeta-pinch techniques, create
micro-fission explosions which are used to detonate lithium-6
deuteride fusor elements, or boron fusor elements ina modified
miniature Teller -Ulam two-stage design. These 2 billion pulse units
are used to power thousands of vehicles each capable of carrying
50,000 tons to 500,000 tons across the solar system in weeks.

A small fleet of a few hundred 50,000 ton ships - carrying millions of
pulse units - set out for the asteroid belt looking for rich
asteroids. When found, the ships shepherd the asteroids or fragments
of the asteroids, back to Earth orbit, using a standoff propulsion
technique - which vaporizes a well defined section of asteroid in a
well defined direction producing a rocket like effect. While each
pulse is small, thousands of them produce a highly controllable delta
vee - and in this way, asteroids are harvested and placed into a sun
synchronous polar orbit.

Very large solar power satellite arrays are placed in GEO using
nuclear pulse ships as well. Power is beamed to Earth and to remotely
controlled factories lofted into orbit along with the rich asteroids.
The factories produce large pressure vessels whch are then populated
with crops and trees to create teleoperated farms and forests to join
the teleoperated factories on orbit. Food, fiber, and every manner of
consumer good is deorbited directly to consumers anywhere on Earth in
minutes, following a satellite telephone call - in unlimited
quantity. In regions where local government does not allow people to
enjoy this abuandance in peace, floating cities are deorbited, and
float overhead to collect anyone who wishes to leave.

Laser propelled spacecraft are ultimately deorbited and give everyone
the capacity to own their own personal space colony on orbit.
Old March 17th 09, 08:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

G. L. Bradford wrote:
[...]

Or we could use that cache of fissile materials in order to greatly
improve the quality of life on Earth, or at least within our Selene/
moon. Much like Earth, our Selene/moon even has a sufficient core of
geothermal energy.

Too bad we still do not have a viable fly-by-rocket lander for getting
ourselves safely to/from our Selene/moon and its nifty L1. I guess we
can only go so far on a given cesspool of mainstream lies.

Since there's most of everything we need on or within our Selene/moon,
what exactly are we waiting for?

~ BG
Old March 17th 09, 09:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 15, 1:20*am, "G. L. Bradford" wrote:
"BURT" wrote in message

[...]

The concentration camp of Eden is getting kind of maxed out, so
perhaps our Selene/moon isn't such a bad idea or insurmountable as for
providing our best off-world option as our ultimate go-between.
However, the Selene/moon L1 would be a whole lot better option,
especially along with the LSE-CM/ISS.

~ BG
Old March 17th 09, 09:13 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
American

"BURT" wrote in message

[...]

*~ BG- Hide quoted text -

A true off-world prison-prison if there ever was such a thing.

How many more greased pigs do we need in American politics?

There's another black-hole budget to seal the deal for the future of
humanity, if there ever was one. How much more of this hospitality do
we need to plant certain people who are really not in need of
transplantation, especially when it comes to free market enterprise?

The Guth answer is framed and marked for implementation just as soon
as B. O.'s teleprompter receives the reply - are Americans really up
to Borg implants this soon?

American
Old March 17th 09, 09:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

"BURT" wrote in message

[...]

Not really a prison, as you can go to/from the Selene/moon L1 rather
efficiently. The underground habitats within Selene certainly are not
prison worthy unless you intended such to be the case.

How many more greased pigs do we need in American politics?

Apparently we one "greased pig" for every 10 of us.

There's another black-hole budget to seal the deal for the future of
humanity, if there ever was one. *How much more of this hospitality do
we need to plant certain people who are really not in need of
transplantation, especially when it comes to free market enterprise?

The Guth answer is framed and marked for implementation just as soon
as B. O.'s teleprompter receives the reply - are Americans really up
to Borg implants this soon?

American

It shouldn't be a choice. Those Borg implants should be mandatory.

~ BG
Old March 18th 09, 08:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

G. L. Bradford wrote:
[...]

Umm... ridding the world of nuclear materials and nuclear weapons
improves life on Earth.

Using nuclear pulse engines built around old weapons materials to
orbit large solar power satellites that beam infrared laser energy to
users anywhere on demand, improves life on Earth, by lowering the cost
of energy, making energy more widely available and more abundant, and
ending the endless pollution of our air b ending the use of
conventional fuels.

Putting in place a large network of multi-point comsats to turn the
world into a global wireless hotspot, that supports billions of
biometric and VR signalling channels, does the same thing. Humanoid
robots like ASIMO work anywhere driven by workers who live anywhere -
this immediately improves life on Earth by providing meaningful and
profitable work for all.

Capturing rich asteroids, using nuclear pulse techniques to bring them
into Earth orbit, and using nuclear pulse lifters to place significant
remotely controlled factories on them to manufacture stuff and deliver
it anwhere its needed on Earth at extremely low cost - dramatically
improves life on Earth.

or at least within our Selene/
moon.

The moon is not particularly rich when compared to some asteroids,
riches on the moon are buried deep within the moon and must be
extracted, the moon sits at the bottom of a substantial gravity well
that without aerobraking adds significant cost to getting materials
out of the moon and back to Earth, the moon is more than 1 light
second away which means we cannot use present telerobotic techniques
as effectively as we can within 1/5th light second of Earth. The moon
will one day be a valuable resource, and one day be a vital inhabited
world, using the moon to resolve our materials issues on Earth quickly
is more problematical than asteroid capture and processing on orbit as
described above.

*Much like Earth, our Selene/moon even has a sufficient core of
geothermal energy.

No it does not.

Too bad we still do not have a viable fly-by-rocket lander for getting
ourselves safely to/from our Selene/moon

Your boneheaded contention that the Apollo flights did not occur as
described marks you as a profoundly troubled personality.

and its nifty L1.

Lagrange point 1 between Earth and Sol is more important. Lunar/Earth
L1 is a good place for a communications satellite - that's about it.

*I guess we
can only go so far on a given cesspool of mainstream lies.

The only cesspool of lies are yours sir. You love projecting your
reality to those outside you. Fortunately, no one is fooled - except
perhaps for you.

Since there's most of everything we need on or within our Selene/moon,
what exactly are we waiting for?

Please explain in detail how you would proceed and why it would be
less expensive speedier and more reliable than what I have described?

To recap;

1) sign an enhanced nonproliferation treaty and put all 2,000 tons
fissile material under international control - Ends the threat of
loose nukes
2) use weapons lobs to convert bombs and materials into micro-fission
pulse triggers - keeps the weaponeers busy
3) develop nuclear pulse engines around fusion elements triggered b
small micro-fission triggers - insipres universal cooperation, unites
world in a positive vision of the future.
4) build a fleet of 200 ships each 50,000 ton capacity as
interplanetary cruisers - provides substantial capacity at less cost
than US Navy.
5) put up a communications satellite network - provide global
wireless broadband - establishes mass produced space hardware achieves
early price point and productivity needed to advance, provides
seamless means to work remotely through telerobotics.
6) put up a power satellite network - provide global wireless power -
ends our pollution of the atmosphere, lowers energy costs, and ends
energy limits to growth
7) survey the small bodies of the solar system - select the richest
of these for retrieval - expands the availability of raw materials
while reducing the impact of human industry on Earth's biosphere.
8) retrieve the richest small bodies to sun synch polar orbit - ideal
location for orbiting factories, they pass over every point on Earth
twice a day.
9) place remotely operated factories on the captured asteroids -
using materials in captured asteroid, processed into useful goods that
are then delivered directly from orbit in minutes to anyone anywhere
10) expand orbital infrastructure - build products for use IN space -
large pressure vessels to house farms, forests and eventually people -
adding food and wood and wood products to the products available from
space.
11) build large pressure vessels that are capable of floating in
Earth's atmosphere - by heating the air within. These are similar to
Buckminster Fuller's Cloud Nine cities proposed in 1962. Tens of
thousands of these cities, each housing up to 100,000 people float
through the skies of Earth- supplied with food and water and fiber and
products from Orbit - communications available to all. People work
telerobotically anywhere on Earth or Earth orbit from these cities -
the cities float to any point on Earth and pick up anyone anywhere on
request - freeing the poor and powerless from tyranny. Large pressure
vessels are also built on orbit to house people who arrive there from
Earth.
12) homes powered and supplied and connected to space based
infrastructure are landed and self-erect anywhere desired. Many have
automated well stocked green houses providing minature farms - all
have teleoperated robots that allow people to recieve all manner of
personal services in their home telerobotically. All have a
teleoperation suite that allow homeowners to work anywhere and recieve
compensation to buy goods and services from the orbiting
infrastructure. MEMs based laser powered rocket arrays - forming
propulsive skins on the surface of personal spacecraft - make the home
spaceship possible - these too are delivered to people on demand -
anywhere - allowing them to travel anywere in minutes, or travel to
orbit and back at ease.

All these things improve the quality of life on Earth - and it starts
with converting nuclear weapons into nuclear triggers for nuclear
pulse rockets of tremendous capacity.

*~ BG

Old March 20th 09, 03:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 18, 11:56*am, wrote:

Umm... ridding the world of nuclear materials and nuclear weapons
improves life on Earth.

For the most part that true, although it would be a shame not to use
our fair share of thorium for the clean energy that it can deliver.

Using nuclear pulse engines built around old weapons materials to
orbit large solar power satellites that beam infrared laser energy to
users anywhere on demand, improves life on Earth, by lowering the cost
of energy, making energy more widely available and more abundant, and
ending the endless pollution of our air b ending the use of
conventional fuels.

Can't argue against that, except we don't have another century to
wait.

Putting in place a large network of multi-point comsats to turn the
world into a global wireless hotspot, that supports billions of
biometric and VR signalling channels, does the same thing. *Humanoid
robots like ASIMO work anywhere driven by workers who live anywhere -
this immediately improves life on Earth by providing meaningful and
profitable work for all.

Again, if we manage to survive the next century and you manage to pull
everything off without a hitch.

Capturing rich asteroids, using nuclear pulse techniques to bring them
into Earth orbit, and using nuclear pulse lifters to place significant
remotely controlled factories on them to manufacture stuff and deliver
it anwhere its needed on Earth at extremely low cost - dramatically
improves life on Earth.

Now you're talking of multiple centuries from now, unless of course
you decide to include our Selene/moon as a viable asteroid to plunder,
as after all it is rather big and nearby as is, even it it were
relocated to Earth L1.

*or at least within our Selene/
moon.

The moon is not particularly rich when compared to some asteroids,
riches on the moon are buried deep within the moon and must be
extracted, the moon sits at the bottom of a substantial gravity well
that without aerobraking adds significant cost to getting materials
out of the moon and back to Earth, the moon is more than 1 light
second away which means we cannot use present telerobotic techniques
as effectively as we can within 1/5th light second of Earth. *The moon
will one day be a valuable resource, and one day be a vital inhabited
world, using the moon to resolve our materials issues on Earth quickly
is more problematical than asteroid capture and processing on orbit as
described above.

If you say so, because the physics and science we have thus far
doesn't agree with your interpretation.

*Much like Earth, our Selene/moon even has a sufficient core of
geothermal energy.

No it does not.

Again, your science is certainly all alone, as here you don't even
agree with NASA or a dozen other interpretations.

Too bad we still do not have a viable fly-by-rocket lander for getting
ourselves safely to/from our Selene/moon

Your boneheaded contention that the Apollo flights did not occur as
described marks you as a profoundly troubled personality.

Are you saying that we can use the William Mook fly-by-rocket lander?
(because the R&D related to our NASA/Apollo one doesn't seem to exist)

and its nifty L1.

Lagrange point 1 between Earth and Sol is more important. *Lunar/Earth
L1 is a good place for a communications satellite - that's about it.

Where's that Mook imagination? (is Mook going brain-dead on us)

You do realize that Clarke Station and the Boeing OASIS are each
engineered to work just perfectly fine and dandy, not to mention my
LSE-CM/ISS.

*I guess we
can only go so far on a given cesspool of mainstream lies.

The only cesspool of lies are yours sir. *You love projecting your
reality to those outside you. *Fortunately, no one is fooled - except
perhaps for you.

The cold hard truths of physics and the best available science differs
with your negative and often bipolar mindset.

Since there's most of everything we need on or within our Selene/moon,
what exactly are we waiting for?

Please explain in detail how you would proceed and why it would be
less expensive speedier and more reliable than what I have described?

I've already done that, and you cared less because you're stuck in
naysay mode. My terrestrial wind energy alone puts your solar PV
farms to shame, not to mention my battery of thorium reactors.

[...]

Your nifty stuff at best is decades away and going to cost us
trillions. Our Selene/moon is right here and now, although so is the
rather easy access to the planet Venus.

Your terrestrial solutions are certainly going against Big Energy, so
much so that they'll never happen until long after you're dead.
However, one or two out of the above 12 should work, and that's still
better than most. Your original green hydrogen economy is certainly a
win-win-win, even if you refuse to make any h2o2 (seems you'd just as
soon outlaw the makings of h2o2).

~ BG

Old March 22nd 09, 07:42 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
American

On Mar 17, 4:27*pm, BradGuth wrote:

How many more greased pigs do we need in American politics?

Apparently we one "greased pig" for every 10 of us.

and so 1/10th of the workforce gets represented by 100%
republican/democrat spin which won't represent 99%
of the truth, even at least 50% of the time.

(Seems like it's time for a makeover).

Lies upon Lies upon Lies
-------------------------------------

Lie: Bailed-out AIG executives are the only reason that angry
mobs should be directed at the entire AIG fallout (700 Billion) ,
while only 1/10th of 1% of bonuses paid to executives are in the
process of being "accused".

Lie: Barrack Obama never said that there would be a limiting of
"earmarks" on any of pending or enacted legislation.

Lie: Sec'ty of Treasury Gytner didn't know about AIG
bailouts more than three weeks ago, when the offer to
"punish" those who took advantage of bonus money that was
the result of the stimulus recommended by socialist democrats.

Lie: Preventing abortions is less important than supporting illegal
aliens, who would represent larger voting blocs of welfare
recipients in a society of anti-capitalists.

Lie: Government must enlarge itself in order to create markets
for windmills, "green" cars, and more environmental regulation in
order to expand the welfare state, anti-capitalism, and isolationism.

Lie: The Constitution does not deny legislative authority by
Congress. Any act of Congress is constitutional as long as it
is made in the interests of the State.

Lie: All Acts of Congress are legally enforcable representations
of the president's desires. It is hypocritical to claim allegiance
and
be unwilling to accept presidential wishes enacted by Congress.
Submission and allegiance are synonymous.

Lie: Refusal to accept Congressional legislation is in itself open
rebellion. Intimidations of the IRS justify military occupation.

Lie: The purpose of taxation is not political control but, rather,
economic security for the bureaucracy.

We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident

Truth: Right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Truth: It is unconstitutional for either the president or congress
to make laws (other than trade regulations) for us. When
congressional legislation threatens our ability to make an
honest living, we will protest and resist.

Truth: The president has only executive authority. He can
exercise executive powers and executive influence but cannot
originate legislation.

Truth: If local authority can become counteracted by congres-
sionally enforced taxation, the bureaucracy intends to make
us all slaves.

Truth: It's high time that the perception of all bureaucratic,
big-government centralists who operate out of their so-
called "transparent" Washington, D.C. glass houses, should
be recognized for the stench of compost that they've inherited
by their own actions in misrepresenting revolutionary, free
market technology.

Truth: When the political factor overrides the intelligence factor
throughout the land, then the mob mentality encompasses more
large groups of curious but uninformed status quo, who, because
of 1/10th of all the workforce throughout America (bureaucrats)
being represented by 100% of the political republican/democrat
media spin - spin that can never represent the other 99.9% of the
truth, and who assume by their own misled ignorance (or arrogance),
that certain scapegoats, who become framed by this "one trick
pony" administration, must become targeted as the preferred
focal point - scapegoats who represent only 0.1% of all bonuses
paid throughout the AGI complex of all bonuses paid to receivers
of bailout funds, yet wrongfully creating the accusation on a single
(or group of single) executives - executives that are being made as
the culprits for the hidden and self-perpetuating reason of
administrative anarchy-gone-populist - this being done through-
out the listening and viewing "prime time" malframed land of
fawning presidential media, especially as it becomes impossible
for an administration of this kind to potentate some witch-hunt on
accusation of snobbery on every single bundle of aristocratic
"wheat" in assuming that there exists only a single "tare"
amongst them.

Truth: In Communist and Socialist nations, individuals are guilty
until proven innocent. In free societies, there can be no such thing
as guilt without burden of proof. Such laws are rooted in positive
law.

Idealistically, there would be no clear distinction between classes of
people, because all people would live their lives under positive law,
and would have the ability to transform themselves with the renewing
of their minds - AS THE KNOWLEDGE BECOMES AVAILABLE
TO THEM.

All everyone has to do is to believe that "... the one who is in you,
is
greater than the one who is in the world". (1 John 4:4) - and a way
is
made to access that knowledge, so that one may bear much (spiritual)
fruit according to the spiritual knowledge that God has blessed
them with.

In such an idealistic nation, the social structure takes care of
itself.
THERE IS NO NEED TO POLICE HUMAN BEHAVIOR because
all actions by groups of believers are made for the enhancement
of the entire group.

IMO these kinds of groups that can think for themselves are not
being influenced by popular mass media, and they can exercise
their own personal freedom and personal privacy by freedom from
interference of intrusive government, overtaxation, and urban
sprawl. They are, and will always be, the most important part of
an America that believes in themselves - rather than having those
in the bureaucracy do it for them.

American