Scientists to stop global warming with 100,000 square mile sun shade

Old March 5th 09, 06:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Scientists to stop global warming with 100,000 square mile sun shade

See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...sun-shade.html
Old March 5th 09, 01:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

wrote in message
See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...sun-shade.html

Gaah! Here's one of those links to nowhere by someone too lazy to focus
and write at least an abstract. This links to ...what? A seething mass
of malware that wants in to my machine? *No way* am I going to open
myself to *that*.

A 100,000 square mile sunshade works out to about 357 miles diameter.
Compared to 8000 miles diameter for Terra, it doesn't look like much. I
suppose it could be orbited in the subsolar trojan -- which I don't
think is a very good trojan, so it would need frequent adjustment.

What would this accomplish and from an engineering point of view, is it
doable?

My own thinking is, how about direct application of solar power and
local water to reconstitute our excess carbon dioxide back into
hydrocarbons? Which could then be re-used as fuel again, or serve for
structural applications?

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2009 Mar 05]

Old March 5th 09, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Martha Adams" wrote:
:
:A 100,000 square mile sunshade works out to about 357 miles diameter.
:Compared to 8000 miles diameter for Terra, it doesn't look like much. I
:suppose it could be orbited in the subsolar trojan -- which I don't
:think is a very good trojan, so it would need frequent adjustment.
:
:What would this accomplish and from an engineering point of view, is it
:doable?
:

The idea is presumably to reduce insolation of the Earth by blocking
part of the incoming sunlight, thereby reducing temperatures (it makes
the greenhouse effect a feature keeping us warm in the face of the
shade rather than a bug frying us all). I'm a bit curious what the
reduced energy levels do to plant life, though.

It's probably possible from an engineering standpoint, but it's a huge
undertaking. Imagine the thing as a huge solar sail maintaining
position between the Earth and the Sun. It's not really in an 'orbit'
at all, but is rather under constant acceleration, not orbiting the
Sun quickly enough to maintain an orbit and using solar sail 'thrust'
to keep from falling inward.

:
:My own thinking is, how about direct application of solar power and
:local water to reconstitute our excess carbon dioxide back into
:hydrocarbons? Which could then be re-used as fuel again, or serve for
:structural applications?
:

I'm not sure the sunlight and the water exist in anything like the
same places or that there is sufficient clean water available to make
this work.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old March 5th 09, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 4:26*am, "Martha Adams" wrote:
wrote in message

See:

http://www.rand.org/commentary/2009/02/13/HST.html

Gaah! *Here's one of those links to nowhere by someone too lazy to focus
and write at least an abstract. *This links to ...what? *A seething mass
of malware that wants in to my machine? **No way* am I going to open
myself to *that*.

Titeotwawki -- mha * [sci.space.policy *2009 Mar 05]

A link to nowhere? It worked fine when i clocked on it. If it
doesn't work for
you, then here's the article:

Scientists to stop global warming with 100,000 square mile sun shade
Scientists claim they can fight global warming by firing trillions of
mirrors into space to deflect the sun's rays forming a 100,000 square
mile "sun shade".

Last Updated: 8:12AM GMT 27 Feb 2009

; http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid13335878001
http://www.brightcove.com/channel.js...nel=1139053637
According to astronomer Dr Roger Angel, at the University of Arizona,
the trillions of mirrors would have to be fired one million miles
above the earth using a huge cannon with a barrel of 0.6 miles
across.

The gun would pack 100 times the power of conventional weapons and
need an exclusion zone of several miles before being fired.

Despite the obvious obstacles - including an estimated $350 trillion
(£244trn) price tag for the project - Dr Angel is confident of getting
the project off the ground.

He said: "What we have developed is certainly effective and a method
guaranteed to work.

"Tests are ongoing but we expect to be ready to launch within 20 or 30
years time. Things that take a few decades are not that futuristic."

Dr Angel has already secured NASA funding for a pilot project and
British inventor Tod Todeschini, 38, was commissioned to build a
scaled-down version of the gun.

He constructed the four-metre long cannon in his workshop in Sandlake,
Oxfordshire, for a TV documentary investigating the sun shield
theory.

He said: "The gun was horrendously dangerous. This was the first gun
I'd ever built.

"I knew I could put it together safely but at the end of it all I
didn't know what I was going to get.

"It was immensely dangerous. I was attempting to build a gun to
produce 1,500G of force but it ended up creating about 10,000G and we
had to turn the power down.

"Most weapons used by the army produce 100Gs of force so our gun was
about 100 times more powerful.

"The main danger was electrocution because it used enough power to
boil 44,000 kettles.

"If you were working with normal levels of electricity you could get a
shock and be fine, but if you got a shock off this you would be dead -
no question.

"We've proved it's possible to build a scaled-down version of the gun
needed to get these lenses into the air so it's just a matter of
scaling up the designs for the real thing."

If Dr Angel's sun shield is successful he says the mirrors will last
50 years before needing to be replaced.

"What you are talking about is a project which will stop global
warming for centuries to come," he said.

"At the moment the sums involved sound huge but in the greater scheme
of things it's a price worth paying.

"Over 50 years the mirrors will become damaged and therefore fresh
lenses will need to be fired into space to ensure the shield is
constant."

Dr Angel, who pioneers solar energy, is developing cheaper methods of
making the lenses to bring the cost of the project down.

In the meantime researchers at the University of Victoria, Canada, are
testing the sun shield theory by using computer simulations of the
project.

Dr Angel's sun shield theory will feature on Ways to Save the Planet
on the Discovery Channel at 7pm on Sunday.

It sounds like quite the boondoggle to me, but what do you guys think?
Old March 6th 09, 01:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Hello All,

More video lectures on a sustainable industrial future.

As always I value your comments and feedback. haha - I'm working on a
book deal. I'll send you all free copies! lol.

Cheers

William Mook, CEO
The Mok Companies
+1-614-403-8912

http://www.mokenergy.com

Sustainable Industrial Future
Restoring US Leadership from 2010-2040

Part 1: Communications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81ogcX3ONY

Part 2: Energy - where to get it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvE-bkc0Uxo

Part3: Energy - how to distribute it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWiXDu64c0g

Part 4: Raw Materials - where to get it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMefZhA7ifI

Part 5: Food and Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP5DX2NSl7c

Part 6: Transport - propulsive systems and energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxV2FCUESh0

Part 7: Transport - advanced vehicles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzG4PEureFg

Part 8: Goals - for US leadership 2010-2040
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcbXSONtBdY

Part 9: Reality - dare to dream of greatness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E2586kx_Uc

APPENDIX A: Where the Money Went - Notes about the Meltdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuK0iJqpNA

APPENDX B: US Defense Budget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJl-ZbHOYc

APPENDIX C: Ultra-low-cost Solar Power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbWNnVsBhOg

Old March 6th 09, 02:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Its a boondoggle if it doesn't work an isn't needed and overpriced.

It will work,
It is probably needed, but should consist of venetian blinds to vary
the amount of sunlight admitted.

Is it worth the cost? Well, if its cheaper than getting off oil, if
we can do it quicker than getting off oil - maybe.

Lets do some engineering calculations...

In the Aug 2008 press release they say a 2% reduction in sunlight is
needed. I'd like to see the heat balance calculation for that, but
let's go with that for now, realizing that if we build a venetian
blind system we can vary the amount of sunlight as sunspots change and
so forth.

First where will be put it? At the point between the sun and Earth
where gravity is equal. Where is that? L! - lagrange point 1 -
between Earth and Sun.

distance to L1 from Earth is calculated by

r= AU*(Mearth/Msol)^(1/3) = 1,500,000 kilometers.

Now the angle subtended by the sun is

arcsin(Dsol/AU) = arcsin(1,392,500/150,000,000) = 0.53 deg

Now, to reduce the solar output by 2% requires that 2% of the solar
disk be obsurced by a reflective film. This means that the disk must
subtend 14.142% of the entire sun. That's 0.0752 degrees.

That means a disk stationed along the line connecting the sun's center
to the Earth's center located at L1, using sunlight and solar wind
along with solar energy to maintain its position and operate it, must
be

Dmirror = RL1 * sin(0.0752) = 1,969.3 km

in diameter That's 3.045 million sq km.

GBO film - is 99.999% reflective and operates even when 5 microns
thick.

GBO reference
http://www.scienceonline.org/cgi/con.../287/5462/2451

Alright, the plastic that the GBO film is made from masses about 1.4
metric tons per cubic meter. 5 microns is 5/1,000,000th of a meter
thick, so, 200,000 sq meters - or 0.2 sq km - masses 1.4 metric tons.
An inflatable structure using very low pressure gas - has been used to
stabilize structures in space

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/echo.htm

So, the film is the dominant mass. So, 3,045,948 sq km mass
21,321,637 metric tons - around 22 million tons of film.

This is 3x the annual production of ALL plastics. Oil is used
primarily for plastics production. About 0.2% of the world's oil
production is used to make plastics. We could easily increase the
output of the plastics industry by 10% to build this area in 30
years. Assuming a longevity of 30 to 50 years - this would be a
permanent fixture - and would provide revenue to the oil industry, as
we lowered use of oil in other ways. That is, as far as oil is
concerned, we would be diverting from adding it to the atmosphere and
putting into the sunshade.

All we have to do is put the sunshade element in low earth orbit,
inflate it, and use solar sailing techniques to navigate it to L1 and
keep it there. It would be a cool thing to do for a Space Shuttle
flight.

I had mentioned a reusable Heavy Lift Launcher built around Shuttle
hardware that consists of 7 reusable ET tanks with advanced TPS. Put
together in parallel, each ET with 6 RS68 pumpsets 42 in all - feeding
an aerospike engine under each - 7 annular aerospikes in all with fold
away wings and cross-feed.

Looking down from the cluster of ET tanks we number them as follows

(1)(2)
(3)(4)(5)
(6)(7)

1 and 6 feed 3
3 feeds 4

2 and 7 feed 5
5 feeds 4

All fire at lift off, 1,6,2,7 drain - that's the first stage.

When empty, 1,2,6,7 drop away, re-enter downrange, slow to subsonic
speeds, an deploy their wings. There, using GPS they each rendezvous
with recovery planes downrange and are snagged with a towline mid-
flight. Each are then air-towed back to the launch center and
released for landing.

Meanwhile

(3)(4)(5)

continue onward toward space.

3 and 5 feed 4

3 and 5 are drained while all fire.

This is the second stage.

When empty 3 and 5 fall away and are recovered like the first four.

4 continues on to orbit until empty.

It attains orbit, and ejects the inflatable reflector.

Then 4 deorbits and is recovered as the other six are.

The entire system is 100% reusable - and improved checkout and
automation at the launch center reduces the standing army needed for
the Shuttle - to a bare minimum. Launch costs are les than $5 million
per flight - the amount lofted to orbit is 550 metric tons!! This is
110 sq km of solar reflector per launch! At $2,000 per ton, that's a
million per satellite. Lets budget another $$ million per satellite
for other costs associated with it. A total of $10 million per
launch.

So, 27,690 launches are needed for the entire system - and a cost of
$276.9 billion. Over 30 years that's $9.23 billion per year. A
launch every 9.5 hours.

With seven elements per launch vehicle, and 14 day cycle time, 35
vehicles - or 245 launch elements are needed, add 5 spares that's 250
- each capable of 1,000 launches - each costing about $100 million -
that's $25 billion for the launchers - and a $15 billion non-recurring
engineering charge - a total of $40 billion to get started

So, a 5 year program that peaks at $9.23 billion per year - would get
us started, and continue at $9.23 billion per year forever - as the
sheets wore out over 30 to 40 years - slight variation in the
production rate would grow the array as needed until we got things
under control.

We could take older reflectors and use them as solar sails to send
paylods throughout the solar system - at the end of their ueful lives.

50 ton Payloads would be carried with new reflectors to L1, an then
old reflectors replaced, while the payloads transferred to them.

Or old reflectors would sail back to LEO to hook up with payloads left
there as the new reflector pass through.

So, this is a quite doable program - well within our capacity to
achieve.

The world burns about 28 billion barrels of oil each year. A $0.50
per barrel reflector tax would generate $14 billion per year - and pay
$4.4 billion in overhead and administration, and $9.6 billion in
program costs. $2 billion might go to space research to build
research payloads and other applications of the boosters - for mars
missions and so forth.

This adds to the value of the program in my view.

Old March 7th 09, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 4, 9:36*pm, wrote:
See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...ing/4839985/Sc...

They'll need William Mook on their team, as he knows everything. Mook
is also connected with the Rothschild dynasty, thus he needs no public
funding for any amount of cost.

~ BG
Old March 7th 09, 09:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Mook is Mongolian for 'eternal leader' - transliterated to 'monk' - it
was a term used by Mongol warriors who led the great Mongolian armies
of the 13th and 14th centuries.

You can read more at;

http://www.mokenergy.com/index.php?cID=44

Old March 7th 09, 07:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 7, 12:42*am, wrote:
Mook is Mongolian for 'eternal leader' - transliterated to 'monk' - it
was a term used by Mongol warriors who led the great Mongolian armies
of the 13th and 14th centuries.

You can read more at;

http://www.mokenergy.com/index.php?cID=44

That's what this screwed up nation of village idiots and morons needs,
a 'eternal leader' that's rich and powerful like yourself and your
Rothschild partners.

Go to BHO and his Steven Chu, telling them exactly how it has to be.
In other words, take charge, and make good Mook **** happen.

Start off with the following:

Thorium Reactors, 1 GW per million
300 units (all identical)

Plus loads of geothermal, wind and solar 1 TW

Start beefing up and expanding our national power grid, roughly
doubling its current capacity.

~ BG
Old March 9th 09, 10:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Mar 7, 2:40*pm, BradGuth wrote:
On Mar 7, 12:42*am, wrote:

Mook is Mongolian for 'eternal leader' - transliterated to 'monk' - it
was a term used by Mongol warriors who led the great Mongolian armies
of the 13th and 14th centuries.

You can read more at;

http://www.mokenergy.com/index.php?cID=44

That's what this screwed up nation of village idiots and morons needs,

This nation is not screwed up, nor are we village idiotrs or morons.
Please re-read what you just wrote and now realize that the great
pleasure and satisfaction that you derive from that statement derives
from the momentary feeling of superiority you get when you say it.
Bottom line Brad, you have a problem.

a 'eternal leader' that's rich and powerful like yourself and your
Rothschild partners.

If you look at the history of the house of Rothschild you'll see they
have no dealings whatever with Mook.

Go to BHO and his Steven Chu, telling them exactly how it has to be.

I have no need to tell anyone anything - I am not doing so now. That
you think I am commanding you and others somehow is again a reflection
of the mental disorder you suffer from. Get professional help Brad,
that's the only way this can end positively.

In other words, take charge, and make good Mook **** happen.

I am - in fact - haha - I may get a t-shirt for my family - emblazoned
with - make good Mook **** happen - haha -

thanks for that.

Start off with the following:

Thorium Reactors, 1 GW per million
300 units (all identical)

Thoriun and all other fissiles will be gathered together, enriched
into harmless pulse unit triggers, and used to power deep space
nuclear pulse propulsion, where the primary energy source is lithium-6
deuteride or boron.

Plus loads of geothermal, wind and solar 1 TW

Not so much. The real factor is cost The best way to achieve that is
through concentrated photovoltaics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvE-b...eature=related

Start beefing up and expanding our national power grid, roughly
doubling its current capacity.

Why? The problem is the coal fired power plants not the wires that
connect them to the loads. Those coal fired power plants are easily
converted to hydrogen. As described here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWiXD...eature=related

*~ BG

The real issue is transport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxV2F...eature=related