Willie Mookie loses it.

Old April 11th 09, 09:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Default Willie Mookie loses it.

On Apr 10, 6:44*pm, kT wrote:
Fred J. McCall wrote:
It looks like Willie Mookie is losing whatever mind he might have had
after all these years.

For daring to note that his pet SPS laser power doesn't work and his
claims about monochromatic photovoltaic cell efficiency are bunk, I'm
now receiving emails from him threatening legal action and spewing
profanity.

Guess I owe OM something of an apology. *At the time I thought Mook
was just a harmless loon, but he's apparently degenerated over the
years.

Could you show us your calculations? How does his pet SPS laser power
not work. I just don't see how lasers in general could *NOT* work.

I suspect Mr. Mook has a good case. Also, did you try not answering his
emails and blocking them as spam? That's easy and almost always works.

SPS energy transfer is technologically doable, though at least ten
fold more spendy per net distributed kw or tonne of green-hydrogen
than suggested, certainly ten fold more R&D worthy than suggested, and
at least at first 100 fold more global polluting than suggested.

I have better down-to-Earth ideas, but never mind, especially never
mind if our resident lord Mook has anything to say about it.

~ BG
Old April 11th 09, 09:58 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Apr 10, 7:53*pm, Marvin the Martian wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:40:48 -0700, Fred J. McCall wrote:
It looks like Willie Mookie is losing whatever mind he might have had
after all these years.

For daring to note that his pet SPS laser power doesn't work and his
claims about monochromatic photovoltaic cell efficiency are bunk, I'm
now receiving emails from him threatening legal action and spewing
profanity.

Guess I owe OM something of an apology. *At the time I thought Mook was
just a harmless loon, but he's apparently degenerated over the years.

Shoot. I thought his ideas has some merit, and defended them.

Now he's sending me hate e-mail.

For once, you appear to be right.

--http://OnToMars.org*For discussions about Mars and Mars colonization

It's merely a Mook brain fart. Give it a rest and he'll be right back
with even better ideas, that perhaps we can afford and see transpire
within our lifetime.

Our DARPA and NASA could easily have established a soft-moderated
public e-think-tank for folks like Mook and the rest of us, but they
didn't and never will.

~ BG
Old April 11th 09, 10:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika[_1_]

"OM" wrote in message

.. Hell, if Elfnazi backs him up, that
should be the smoking gun right there!

yay my fave fast food restaurant

mk5000

"To come through
Sleeping beauty awakes from her dream
With her lover's kiss on her lips
Your kiss was taken from me"--waitin for a miracle, bruce springsteen

Old April 12th 09, 12:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Mellu Loron wrote:

:On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:43:06 -0500, kT wrote:
:
:Why Don't you publish his grandmother's street address and telephone
:number while your at it. That's how you American fascists operate.
:
:Awwww. Are we all butthurt about something, Elfnazi? Better go let
:Nana kiss your ass and make it feel better.
:

I didn't publish his telephone number. I could have.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old April 12th 09, 01:04 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
Martha Adams

"marika" wrote in message
news

"OM" wrote in message

. Hell, if Elfnazi backs him up, that
should be the smoking gun right there!

yay my fave fast food restaurant

mk5000

"To come through
Sleeping beauty awakes from her dream
With her lover's kiss on her lips
Your kiss was taken from me"--waitin for a miracle, bruce springsteen

I see a regrettable topic drift here. As usual, infantile thinking is
its major component, reminding me that so much earlier in my life, I
believed such was put away with maturation. Later, looking at mental
pathologies, I learned better. As I see again here.

Is Mook gone from here now? What's up this thread offers him no
encouragement to return. I thought he was sci.space.policy's best
visionary and I valued what he said. Serious workers in all fields know
today's crazy idea may appear as tomorrow's breakthrough and will watch
for which one it might be. See Thomas Kuhn on The Structure of
Scientific Revolutions.

While I'm on this topic, Korzybski's Science and Sanity is a good mind
stretcher. Freud is a classic demonstration of good thinking out of
difficult data. Shea and Wilson, The Illuminatus! Trilogy, is a good
puzzle work, not to be confused with reality.

All of which, with a little industrial engineering experience thrown in
for seasoning, could remarkably improve the ability of people here to
recognize value. ...I think Mook is gone, and I'm sorry.

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2009 Apr 11]

Old April 12th 09, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Apr 10, 9:18*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Marvin the Martian wrote:

:On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:40:48 -0700, Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
: It looks like Willie Mookie is losing whatever mind he might have had
: after all these years.
:
: For daring to note that his pet SPS laser power doesn't work and his
: claims about monochromatic photovoltaic cell efficiency are bunk, I'm
: now receiving emails from him threatening legal action and spewing
: profanity.
:
: Guess I owe OM something of an apology. *At the time I thought Mook was
: just a harmless loon, but he's apparently degenerated over the years.
:
:
:Shoot. I thought his ideas has some merit, and defended them.
:

It's one way to go, certainly, but there are so many obviously better
ideas that it should be eliminated fairly early.

:Now he's sending me hate e-mail.
:
:For once, you appear to be right.
:

I'm usually right in the end. *It's what loons can't stand. *

I guess Mookie has just joined the ranks of The Guthball and
OnTheFritz.

*only stupid."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Heinrich Heine

Thanks a bunch, except there's no way in hell that I'm in the same
rant hall of fame as William Mook.

At least my stuff is affordably doable, and well within a human
lifetime.

Unlike the wild and crazy brown-nosed future of Mook, my stuff
directly benefits the lower 99.9% of humanity, and doing so without
further trashing our frail environment.

~ BG
Old April 12th 09, 01:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Martha Adams" wrote:
:
:I see a regrettable topic drift here. As usual, infantile thinking is
:its major component, reminding me that so much earlier in my life, I
:believed such was put away with maturation. Later, looking at mental
athologies, I learned better. As I see again here.
:

Speaking of 'mental pathologies', would you like to see the email your
'visionary' sent me for pointing out that his claims about current
monochrome photovoltaic efficiencies are simply incorrect?

:
:Is Mook gone from here now?
:

I believe he's in Indonesia, if his claims are to be believed. I
would rather that Ohio authorities had taken him into custody to get
him the help he apparently needs, given the spate of profanity and
threats I recently received from him.

:
:What's up this thread offers him no
:encouragement to return.
:

Given what I've received in email, encouragement is the last thing I
want to offer him.

:
:I thought he was sci.space.policy's best
:visionary and I valued what he said.
:

I thought he was a harmless loon. He's been trying to disabuse me of
that notion via email, which is why I took a few minutes to determine
the parameters of the threat; location, photo, etc.

:
:Serious workers in all fields know
:today's crazy idea may appear as tomorrow's breakthrough and will watch
:for which one it might be. See Thomas Kuhn on The Structure of
:Scientific Revolutions.
:

True, but there are crazy ideas and then there is outright lunacy.

The fact that some ideas may be good does NOT mean that all ideas are
good and equally valuable.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old April 12th 09, 07:48 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

Martha Adams wrote:

I think Mook is gone, and I'm sorry.

He's not gone, he always tries to take personal arguments offline, as it
should be. I remember the very first time I responded to his seven by
one cryogenic launch vehicle design, he took it to email and it got a
little scary, but only because he's passionate about applied physics.

Once I explained to him that I wasn't about to argue details of hydrogen
powered launch vehicles, since any hydrogen powered launch vehicle is
basically ok by me, then he seemed fine with it. I suspect he feels the
same about optical to optical links. It's pretty cutting edge stuff,
it's no wonder Fred is unable or unwilling to discuss it. Anyone that
can pull off coherent optical to optical transmission at chemical energy
power levels is doing a pretty darn good job at whatever they are doing.

I can only presume such a thing works better in a vacuum. A hydrogen
rocket engine is an incoherent mechanical version that has no receiver,
and I know Willie was thinking deeply about microscopic implementations.
Old April 12th 09, 03:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika[_1_]

"Martha Adams" wrote in message

I see a regrettable topic drift here. As usual, infantile thinking is its
major component, reminding me that so much earlier in my life, I believed
such was put away with maturation.

As far as I know barbecuse is not infantile

mk5000

"it is ironic that the producers have filed a grievance against Mr. Piven,
since if anyone has legal claims relating to this matter, it is Mr. Piven.
Among other things, he has been defamed in the media by their false
accusations"--Jeremy Piven's lawyer

Old April 12th 09, 05:42 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
It looks like Willie Mookie is losing whatever mind he might have had
after all these years.

Yea, well, that's why he's in my killfile.

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson