Daily 3765

Old December 29th 04, 03:57 PM

Default Daily 3765

DAILY REPORT # 3765

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 363

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC 10377

ACS Earth Flats

High signal sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth
with the HRC and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the
accuracy of the flats currently used by the pipeline and will provide
a comparison with flats derived via other techniques: L-flats from
stellar observations, sky flats from stacked GO observations, and
internal flats using the calibration lamps. Weekly coronagraphic
monitoring is required to assess the changing position of the spots.

ACS/HRC/NIC1/WFC 10190

The Star Formation History and Metallicity Evolution of M33: A
Comprehensive Study of Disk Evolution

We will obtain deep, panchromatic imaging photometry of stellar
populations in four fields ranging from 0.5 to 4 scale lengths across
the disk of the Local Group spiral M33. The observations are designed
to detect the oldest main-sequence turnoffs in three outer disk
fields, and to reach the crowding limit in the innermost field. We
will combine the photometry data with information we already have
in-hand on abundances from stars and H II regions in M33 to derive the
star formation history and metallicity evolution of the M33 disk. The
information from our four fields will allow us to obtain {1} the ages
of the oldest disk stars and the radial variation of their ages; {2}
the radial variation of the star formation history and its nature
{e.g., constant, declining, or bursting}; and {3} the metallicity
distribution in each field and the time evolution of the metallicity
gradient. Our team, an experienced mix of photometrists,
spectroscopists, and galaxy evolution theorists, will use the results
from this program to construct a comprehensive chemo-dynamical model
for the M33 disk. This detailed study of M33 will be a key in
developing an understanding of the formation and evolution of disks
that can be applied to studies of disks at both low and high redshift,
and will also yield a wealth of information on stellar populations,
chemical evolution, and star clusters that will be of great value to
future investigators.

ACS/WFC 10217

The ACS Fornax Cluster Survey

The two rich clusters nearest to the Milky Way, and the only large
collections of early-type galaxies within ~ 25 Mpc, are the Virgo and
Fornax Clusters. We propose to exploit the exceptional imaging
capabilities of the ACS/WFC to carry out the most comprehensive
imaging survey to date of early-type galaxies in Fornax: the ACS
Fornax Cluster Survey. Deep ACS/WFC images -- in the F475W {g'} and
F850LP {z'} bands -- will be acquired for 44 E, S0, dE, dE, N and dS0
cluster members. In Cycle 11, we initiated a similar program targeting
early-type galaxies in the Virgo Cluster {the ACS Virgo Cluster
Survey; GO-9401}. Our proposed survey of Fornax would yield an
extraordinary dataset which would complement that already in hand for
Virgo, and allow a definitive study of the role played by environment
in the structure, formation and evolution of early-type galaxies and
their globular cluster systems, nuclei, stellar populations, dust
content, nuclear morphologies and merger histories. It would also be a
community resource for years to come and, together with the ACS Virgo
Cluster Survey, constitute one of the lasting legacies of HST.

NIC3 10189

PANS-Probing Acceleration Now with Supernovae

Type Ia supernovae {SNe Ia} provide the most direct evidence for an
accelerating Universe, a result widely attributed to dark energy.
Using HST in Cycle 11 we extended the Hubble diagram with 6 of the 7
highest- redshift SNe Ia known, all at z1.25, providing conclusive
evidence of an earlier epoch of cosmic deceleration. The full sample
of 16 new SNe Ia match the cosmic concordance model and are
inconsistent with a simple model of evolution or dust as alternatives
to dark energy. Understanding dark energy may be the biggest current
challenge to cosmology and particle physics. To understand the nature
of dark energy, we seek to measure its two most fundamental
properties: its evolution {i.e., dw/dz}, and its recent equation of
state {i.e., w{z=0}}. SNe Ia at z1, beyond the reach of the ground
but squarely within the reach of HST are crucial to break the
degeneracy in the measurements of these two basic aspects of dark
energy. The SNe Ia we have discovered and measured with HST in Cycle
11, now double the precision of our knowledge of both properties. Here
we propose to quadruple the sample of SNe Ia at z1 in the next two
cycles, complementing on-going surveys from the ground at z1, and
again doubling the precision of dark energy constraints. Should the
current best fit model prove to be the correct one, the precision
expected from the current proposal will suffice to rule out a
cosmological constant at the 99% confidence level. Whatever the
result, these objects will provide the basis with which to extend our
empirical knowledge of this newly discovered and dominant component of
the Universe, and will remain one of the most significant legacies of
HST. In addition, our survey and follow-up data will greatly enhance
the value of the archival data within the target Treasury fields for
galaxy studies.

NIC3 10195

Probing the Surroundings of a Highly Luminous Redshift 6.5 Galaxy

We propose deep images of a recently discovered galaxy at z=6.535,
which is among the most luminous Lyman-alpha emitting galaxies known
at high redshift. The brightness and rarity of this source imply that
it is associated with a high peak in the matter density distribution.
{It is the brightest Lyman alpha source in 2e5 comoving Mpc3, with a
luminosity of 6 L*.} Further objects in this peak are expected to be
visible with HST's sensitivity. The Lyman alpha line has a large rest
frame equivalent width, with a lower bound 100 Angstroms. Such a
large equivalent width would be impossible for objects embedded in
neutral gas, and instead requires either that {a} the universe was
reionized before z=6.5 or {b} the galaxy resides in a local ionized
bubble, in which case an additional contribution to the ionizing
photon budget from presently undetected neighbors is required. With 19
orbits of ACS and NICMOS imaging, we will measure this object's
morphology and spectral energy distribution, thus searching for either
active nuclei or old stellar populations. We will also search for
possible neighbors, which could establish the first known galaxy group
at z6, and may provide sufficient ionizing flux to allow the escape
of the observed Lyman alpha photons in a neutral universe. If
neighbors are not found, it will lead to an upper bound on the neutral
fraction in the general IGM at z=6.5.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9735

ACS And NICMOS Observations of Three Ongoing Mergers

We propose to make ACS {U, B, V, I, H_alpha}, NICMOS {J, H, K}, and
STIS {long-slit H_alpha} observations of NGC 520, NGC 2623, and NGC
3256, three merging galaxies in the middle of the Toomre Sequence and
currently in the throes of violent relaxation. Two of these {NGC 2623
and NGC 3256} are the most IR luminous galaxies in the sequence.
Hence, these ongoing mergers are ideal candidates for studying the
triggering mechanism responsible for the formation of stars and star
clusters. The ACS observations will allow us to age date the star
clusters, and reliably distinguish clusters from stars based on their
apparent sizes. They will also be used in conjunction with
ground-based measurements of the stellar velocity dispersion to
determine dynamical masses of the clusters and hence address the
question of whether the IMF is truncated. The NICMOS observations will
allow us to penetrate the dust and answer several fundamental
questions such as: What fraction of the young clusters are hidden by
dust? How do these clusters form and evolve? A better understanding of
how mergers form tremendous numbers of clusters and stars in the local
universe will help shed light on processes that were crucial during
galaxy assembly in the high-z universe.

NICMOS 8790

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 1.

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark.

WFPC2 10132

UV Confirmation of New Quasar Sightlines Suitable for the Study of
Intergalactic Helium

The reionization of intergalactic helium is thought to have occurred
between redshifts of about 3 and 4. The study of HeII Lyman-alpha
absorption towards a half-dozen quasars at 2.7z3.5 demonstrates the
great potential of such probes of the IGM, but the current
critically-small sample limits confidence in resulting cosmological
inferences. The requisite unobscured quasar sightlines to
high-redshift are extremely rare, especially due to severe absorption
in random intervening Lyman-limit systems, but SDSS provides hundreds
of bright, new quasars at such redshifts potentially suitable for HeII
studies. Our cycle 13 SNAP program proposes to verify the UV
detectability of 40 new, bright, z2.9 SDSS quasars, but with special
emphasis on extending helium studies to the highest redshift
sightlines. Our proposed approach has already proven successful, and
additional sightlines will enable follow-up spectal observations to
measure the spectrum and evolution of the ionizing background
radiation, the density of intergalactic baryons, and the epoch of
reionization of the IGM.

WFPC2 10360

WFPC2 CYCLE 13 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 13 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
{gain 7 and gain 15}, a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a
monitor for possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows.

WFPC2 10363

WFPC2 CYCLE 13 Intflat and Visflat Sweeps and Filter Rotation Anomaly
Monitor

Using intflat observations, this WFPC2 proposal is designed to monitor
the pixel-to-pixel flatfield response and provide a linearity check.
The intflat sequences, to be done once during the year, are similar to
those from the Cycle 12 program 10075. The images will provide a
backup database in the event of complete failure of the visflat lamp
as well as allow monitoring of the gain ratios. The sweep is a
complete set of internal flats, cycling through both shutter blades
and both gains. The linearity test consists of a series of intflats in
F555W, in each gain and each shutter. As in Cycle 12, we plan to
continue to take extra visflat, intflat, and earthflat exposures to
test the repeatability of filter wheel motions.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTAR 9636: ACS suspended @ 363/09:39:21Z, Control Section (CSCOMM)
detected a Control Section reset of the Main Electronics Box (MEB)
with Status Buffer message ACS 104, Parameter = 418, Time = 22813
received. At the time ACS was in WFC/HRC Operate mode. Under
investigation.

COMPLETED OPS REQs:
17354-0 - Dump ACS memory after Suspend @ 363/1249z
17355-0 - Redump ACS EDAC memory @ 363/2327z