Daily Report #5023

Old February 1st 10, 05:31 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5023

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5023

PERIOD COVERED: 5am January 29 - 5am February 01, 2010 (DOY 029/10:00z-032/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

ACS/WFC3 11879

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 1)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 352 orbits (22 weeks) from 31 August
2009 to 31 January 2010.

STIS/MA1/MA2 11857

STIS Cycle 17 MAMA Dark Monitor

This proposal monitors the behavior of the dark current in each of the
MAMA detectors.

The basic monitor takes two 1380s ACCUM darks each week with each
detector. However, starting Oct 5, pairs are only included for weeks
that the LRP has external MAMA observations planned. The weekly pairs
of exposures for each detector are linked so that they are taken at
opposite ends of the same SAA free interval. This pairing of exposures
will make it easier to separate long and short term temporal
variability from temperature dependent changes.

For both detectors, additional blocks of exposures are taken once
every six months. These are groups of five 1314s FUV-MAMA Time-Tag
darks or five 3x315s NUV ACCUM darks distributed over a single
SAA-free interval. This will give more information on the brightness
of the FUV MAMA dark current as a function of the amount of time that
the HV has been on, and for the NUV MAMA will give a better measure of
the short term temperature dependence.

STIS/CC 11854

CCD Full-Field Sensitivity Monitor C17

Measure a photometric standard star field in Omega Cen in 50CCD mode
every few months to monitor CCD sensitivity over the whole field of
view. Keep the spacecraft orientation within a suitable range (+/- 5
degrees) to keep the same stars in the same part of the CCD for every
measurement. This test will give a direct transformation of the 50CCD
magnitudes to the Johnson-Cousins system for red sources. These
transformations should be accurate to 1%. The stability of these
transformations will be measured to the sub-percent level. These
observations also provide a check of the astrometric and PSF stability
of the instrument over its full field of view.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

ACS/SBC 11791

The Wavelength Dependence of Accretion Disk Structure

We can now routinely measure the size of quasar accretion disks using
gravitational microlensing of lensed quasars. The next step to testing
accretion disk models is to measure the size of accretion disks as a
function of wavelength, particularly at the UV and X-ray wavelengths
that should probe the inner, strong gravity regime. Here we focus on
two four- image quasar lenses that already have optical (R band) and
X-ray size measurements using microlensing. We will combine the HST
observations with ground-based monitoring to measure the disk size as
a function of wavelength from the near-IR to the UV. We require HST to
measure the image flux ratios in the ultraviolet continuum near the
Lyman limit of the quasars. The selected targets have estimated black
hole masses that differ by an order of magnitude, and we should find
wavelength scalings for the two systems that are very different
because the Blue/UV wavelengths should correspond to parts of the disk
near the inner edge for the high mass system but not in the low mass
system. The results will be modeled using a combination of simple thin
disk models and complete relativistic disk models. While requiring
only 18 orbits, success for one system requires observations in both
Cycles 16 and 17.

WFC3/UVIS 11732

The Temperature Profiles of Quasar Accretion Disks

We can now routinely measure the size of quasar accretion disks using
gravitational microlensing of lensed quasars. At optical wavelengths
we observe a size and scaling with black hole mass roughly consistent
with thin disk theory but the sizes are larger than expected from the
observed optical fluxes. One solution would be to use a flatter
temperature profile, which we can study by measuring the wavelength
dependence of the disk size over the largest possible wavelength
baseline. Thus, to understand the size discrepancy and to probe closer
to the inner edge of the disk we need to extend our measurements to UV
wavelengths, and this can only be done with HST. For example, in the
UV we should see significant changes in the optical/UV size ratio with
black hole mass. We propose monitoring 5 lenses spanning a broad range
of black hole masses with well-sampled ground based light curves,
optical disk size measurements and known GALEX UV fluxes during Cycles
17 and 18 to expand from our current sample of two lenses. We would
obtain 5 observations of each target in each Cycle, similar to our
successful strategy for the first two targets.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11724

Direct Age Determination of the Local Group dE Galaxies NGC 147 and
NGC 185

The origin of dwarf elliptical (dE) galaxies remains a mystery and the
dE galaxies of the Local Group provide the best opportunity to study
this galaxy class in detail. We propose to obtain ACS photometry of
main sequence turnoff stars in the M31 dE satellites NGC 147 and NGC
185. Because these galaxies have little to no stars younger than 1
Gyr, resolving the main sequence turnoff is required to directly
quantify their star formation histories. NGC 147 and NGC 185 are the
only two dEs for which a clean measurement is feasible with the HST.
This proposal was accepted in Cycle 15, but little data were taken
before the failure of ACS. The main sequence turnoffs of NGC 147 and
NGC 185 are expected to be at an apparent magnitude of V=29; we
request F606W/F814W imaging one half magnitude fainter than this limit
(three magnitudes fainter than the deepest previous dE observations).
Quantifying the ratio of old to intermediate-age stars will allow us
to discriminate between competing models of dE formation. On-going
Keck/DEIMOS spectroscopy of several hundred red giant stars in each of
these two dE galaxies, coupled with dynamical modeling and spectral
synthesis, will complement the ACS measurement by providing
information on chemical abundance patterns, dark matter content and
internal dynamics. The proposed ACS data will be the first to directly
quantify the onset and duration of star formation episodes in dE
galaxies, and will thereby form the cornerstone in what promises to be
the most comprehensive study of this class of galaxies.

WFC3/UVIS 11657

The Population of Compact Planetary Nebulae in the Galactic Disk

We propose to secure narrow- and broad-band images of compact
planetary nebulae (PNe) in the Galactic Disk to study the missing link
of the early phases of post-AGB evolution. Ejected AGB envelopes
become PNe when the gas is ionized. PNe expand, and, when large
enough, can be studied in detail from the ground. In the interim, only
the HST capabilities can resolve their size, morphology, and central
stars. Our proposed observations will be the basis for a systematic
study of the onset of morphology. Dust properties of the proposed
targets will be available through approved Spitzer/IRS spectra, and so
will the abundances of the alpha- elements. We will be able thus to
explore the interconnection of morphology, dust grains, stellar
evolution, and populations. The target selection is suitable to
explore the nebular and stellar properties across the galactic disk,
and to set constraints on the galactic evolutionary models through the
analysis of metallicity and population gradients.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS/IR/STIS/C 11653 CD SAINTS - Supernova 1987A INTensive
Survey

SAINTS is a program to observe SN 1987A, the brightest supernova since
1604, as it matures into the youngest supernova remnant at age 21. HST
is the essential tool for resolving SN1987A's many physical
components. A violent encounter is underway between the fastest-
moving debris and the circumstellar ring: shocks excite "hotspots."
Radio, optical, infrared and X- ray fluxes have been rising rapidly:
we have organized Australia Telescope, HST, VLT, Spitzer, and Chandra
observations to understand the several emission mechanisms at work.
Photons from the shocked ring will excite previously invisible gas
outside the ring, revealing the true extent of the mass loss that
preceded the explosion of Sanduleak -69 202. This will help test ideas
for the progenitor of SN 1987A. The inner debris, excited by
radioactive isotopes from the explosion, is now resolved and seen to
be aspherical, providing direct evidence on the shape of the explosion
itself. Questions about SN 1987A remain unanswered. A rich and
unbroken data set from SAINTS will help answer these central questions
and will build an archive for the future to help answer questions we
have not yet thought to ask.

STIS/CCD 11606

Dynamical Hypermassive Black Hole Masses

We will use STIS spectra to derive the masses of 5 hypermassive black
holes (HMBHs). From the observed scaling relations defined by less
massive spheroids, these objects are expected to reside at the nuclei
of host galaxies with stellar velocity dispersions greater than 320
km/s. These 5 targets have confirmed regular gas distributions on the
scales of the black hole sphere of influence. It is essential that the
sphere of influence is resolved for accurate determinations of black
hole mass (0.1"). These scales cannot be effectively observed from the
ground. Only two HMBHs have had their masses modeled so far; it is
impossible to draw any general conclusions about the connections
between HMBH mass and their massive host galaxies. With these 5
targets we will determine whether these HMBHs deviate from the scaling
relations defined by less massive spheroids. A larger sample will
allow us to firmly anchor the high mass end of the correlation between
black hole mass and stellar velocity dispersion, and other scaling
relations. Therefore we are also conducting a SNAPshot program with
which we expect to detect a further 24 HMBH candidates for STIS
observation in future cycles. At the completion of this project we
will have populated the high mass end of the scaling relations with
the sample sizes enjoyed by less massive spheroids.

ACS/WFC3 11599

Distances of Planetary Nebulae from SNAPshots of Resolved Companions

Reliable distances to individual planetary nebulae (PNe) in the Milky
Way are needed to advance our understanding of their spatial
distribution, birthrates, influence on galactic chemistry, and the
luminosities and evolutionary states of their central stars (CSPN).
Few PNe have good distances, however. One of the best ways to remedy
this problem is to find resolved physical companions to the CSPN and
measure their distances by photometric main-sequence fitting. We have
previously used HST to identify and measure probable companions to 10
CSPN, based on angular separations and statistical arguments only. We
now propose to use HST to re-observe 48 PNe from that program for
which additional companions are possibly present. We then can use the
added criterion of common proper motion to confirm our original
candidate companions and identify new ones in cases that could not
confidently be studied before. We will image the region around each
CSPN in the V and I bands, and in some cases in the B band. Field
stars that appear close to the CSPN by chance will be revealed by
their relative proper motion during the 13+ years since our original
survey, leaving only genuine physical companions in our improved and
enlarged sample. This study will increase the number of Galactic PNe
with reliable distances by 50 percent and improve the distances to PNe
with previously known companions.

WFC3/UVIS 11594

A WFC3 Grism Survey for Lyman Limit Absorption at z=2

We propose to conduct a spectroscopic survey of Lyman limit absorbers
at redshifts 1.8 z 2.5, using WFC3 and the G280 grism. This
proposal intends to complete an approved Cycle 15 SNAP program
(10878), which was cut short due to the ACS failure. We have selected
64 quasars at 2.3 z 2.6 from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
Spectroscopic Quasar Sample, for which no BAL signature is found at
the QSO redshift and no strong metal absorption lines are present at z
2.3 along the lines of sight. The survey has three main

observational goals. First, we will determine the redshift frequency
dn/dz of the LLS over the column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 20.3
cm^-2. Second, we will measure the column density frequency
distribution f(N) for the partial Lyman limit systems (PLLS) over the
column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 17.5 cm^-2. Third, we will
identify those sightlines which could provide a measurement of the
primordial D/H ratio. By carrying out this survey, we can also help
place meaningful constraints on two key quantities of cosmological
relevance. First, we will estimate the amount of metals in the LLS
using the f(N), and ground based observations of metal line
transitions. Second, by determining f(N) of the PLLS, we can constrain
the amplitude of the ionizing UV background at z~2 to a greater
precision. This survey is ideal for a snapshot observing program,
because the on-object integration times are all well below 30 minutes,
and follow-up observations from the ground require minimal telescope
time due to the QSO sample being bright.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS/IR 11570

Narrowing in on the Hubble Constant and Dark Energy

A measurement of the Hubble constant to a precision of a few percent
would be a powerful aid to the investigation of the nature of dark
energy and a potent "end-to end" test of the present cosmological
model. In Cycle 15 we constructed a new streamlined distance ladder
utilizing high- quality type Ia supernova data and observations of
Cepheids with HST in the near-IR to minimize the dominant sources of
systematic uncertainty in past measurements of the Hubble constant and
reduce its total uncertainty to a little under 5%. Here we propose to
exploit this new route to reduce the remaining uncertainty by more
than 30%, translating into an equal reduction in the uncertainty of
the equation of state of dark energy. We propose three sets of
observations to reach this goal: a mosaic of NGC 4258 with WFC3 in
F160W to triple its sample of long period Cepheids, WFC3/F160W
observations of the 6 ideal SN Ia hosts to triple their samples of
Cepheids, and observations of NGC 5584 the host of a new SN Ia, SN
2007af, to discover and measure its Cepheids and begin expanding the
small set of SN Ia luminosity calibrations. These observations would
provide the bulk of a coordinated program aimed at making the
measurement of the Hubble constant one of the leading constraints on
dark energy.

STIS/CCD 11567

Boron Abundances in Rapidly Rotating Early-B Stars

Models of rotation in early-B stars predict that rotationally driven
mixing should deplete surface boron abundances during the
main-sequence lifetime of many stars. However, recent work has shown
that many boron depleted stars are intrinsically slow rotators for
which models predict no depletion should have occurred, while
observations of nitrogen in some more rapidly rotating stars show less
mixing than the models predict. Boron can provide unique information
on the earliest stages of mixing in B stars, but previous surveys have
been biased towards narrow- lined stars because of the difficulty in
measuring boron abundances in rapidly rotating stars. The two targets
observed as part of our Cycle 13 SNAP program 10175, just before STIS
failed, demonstrate that it is possible to make useful boron abundance
measurements for early-B stars with Vsin(i) above 100 km/s. We propose
to extend that survey to a large enough sample of stars to allow
statistically significant tests of models of rotational mixing in
early-B stars.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11563

Galaxies at z~7-10 in the Reionization Epoch: Luminosity Functions to
0.2L* from Deep IR Imaging of the HUDF and HUDF05 Fields

The first generations of galaxies were assembled around redshifts
z~7-10+, just 500-800 Myr after recombination, in the heart of the
reionization of the universe. We know very little about galaxies in
this period. Despite great effort with HST and other telescopes, less
than ~15 galaxies have been reliably detected so far at z7,
contrasting with the ~1000 galaxies detected to date at z~6, just
200-400 Myr later, near the end of the reionization epoch. WFC3 IR can
dramatically change this situation, enabling derivation of the galaxy
luminosity function and its shape at z~7-8 to well below L*,
measurement of the UV luminosity density at z~7-8 and z~8-9, and
estimates of the contribution of galaxies to reionization at these
epochs, as well as characterization of their properties (sizes,
structure, colors). A quantitative leap in our understanding of early
galaxies, and the timescales of their buildup, requires a total sample
of ~100 galaxies at z~7-8 to ~29 AB mag. We can achieve this with 192
WFC3 IR orbits on three disjoint fields (minimizing cosmic variance):
the HUDF and the two nearby deep fields of the HUDF05. Our program
uses three WFC3 IR filters, and leverages over 600 orbits of existing
ACS data, to identify, with low contamination, a large sample of over
100 objects at z~7-8, a very useful sample of ~23 at z~8-9, and limits
at z~10. By careful placement of the WFC3 IR and parallel ACS
pointings, we also enhance the optical ACS imaging on the HUDF and a
HUDF05 field. We stress (1) the need to go deep, which is paramount to
define L*, the shape, and the slope alpha of the luminosity function
(LF) at these high redshifts; and (2) the far superior performance of
our strategy, compared with the use of strong lensing clusters, in
detecting significant samples of faint z~7-8 galaxies to derive their
luminosity function and UV ionizing flux. Our recent z~7.4 NICMOS
results show that wide-area IR surveys, even of GOODS-like depth,
simply do not reach faint enough at z~7-9 to meet the LF and UV flux
objectives. In the spirit of the HDF and the HUDF, we will waive any
proprietary period, and will also deliver the reduced data to STScI.
The proposed data will provide a Legacy resource of great value for a
wide range of archival science investigations of galaxies at redshifts
z~2-9. The data are likely to remain the deepest IR/optical images
until JWST is launched, and will provide sources for spectroscopic
followup by JWST, ALMA and EVLA.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

12177 - The GSAcq(2,1,1) scheduled at 031/17:43:10z failed on its
first attempt due to scan step limit exceeded on FGS 1 at 17:46:46z.
The second attempt resulted in fine lock backup (2,0,2).

Observations possibly affected: WFC3 165 - 166 Proposal #ID11905; ACS
140 Proposal #ID11599

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 24 24
FGS REAcq 25 25
OBAD with Maneuver 14 14

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report #4834 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 16th 09 03:24 PM
Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report #4479 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 October 31st 07 01:30 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM