Interesting photograph.

Old March 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Default Interesting photograph.

March 13, 2004

I am crossposting this because it is so darn cool.

jacob navia wrote:

At the Mars Path Finder site, you can see
a rock covered with small blue round stuff.

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...atsuperres.jpg

They didn't carry a microscope that time. Sejourner was
just too small.

Now *that* is pretty darn interesting.

Meet 'Barnacle Bill' :

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...nsPanglyph.jpg

Here is the available spectroscopy.

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/ops/apxs-bb1.html
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...x-res2-ox.html

Looks like there are a lot of 'spherule' producing 'rocks' in the area.

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...rnacleBill.jpg

And finally, we have 'Chimp' :

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/ops/Sol72_Chimp.gif

Remember, we now think this is on the top layer of sediment of a flood
plain leading into a former ocean.

http://mars.sgi.com/science/mineralogy.html

"If they are fully crystalline igneous rocks,"

"We do not presently know whether these are igneous (crystallized from a melt),
sedimentary (grains/fragments deposited by wind or water or precipitates),
or metamorphic rocks (deformed)."

Andesite my ass. Yet another Hap McSween screwup.

Welcome to the new Mars.

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Old March 14th 04, 04:27 PM
Carsten Troelsgaard

"Thomas Lee Elifritz" skrev i en meddelelse
March 13, 2004

snip

Looks like there are a lot of 'spherule' producing 'rocks' in the area.

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/...rnacleBill.jpg

Yes, in particular given your strong desire to see so.

snip

Andesite my ass. Yet another Hap McSween screwup.

Another Elifrits-style contribution to the debate.

Old March 15th 04, 07:27 AM
Pedro Rosa

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote in message ...
March 13, 2004

Remember, we now think this is on the top layer of sediment of a flood
plain leading into a former ocean.

http://mars.sgi.com/science/mineralogy.html

"If they are fully crystalline igneous rocks,"

"We do not presently know whether these are igneous (crystallized from a melt),
sedimentary (grains/fragments deposited by wind or water or precipitates),
or metamorphic rocks (deformed)."

Andesite my ass. Yet another Hap McSween screwup.

Well back then several people and me included pointed to the fact that
the Pathfinder's place is full of rocks with features that could not
be easily explained in NASA's "official" theory. The main problem was
the vast quantity of features that seemed to cover the existent rocks
and seemed to outgrow from the ground. There was also patches that
Soujorner showed to be more weird when observed at short range. One of
them was the "dish" covering one rock at the center. The "dish" grew a
little bit over the rock and had also suggested a segmentation going
into the ground. So, many started talking about liquens, Martian
"plants", "algaes" (even in dried form!) and several other things. I
joined the trend as there was a lot of evidence for biological
footprints there.

Unfortunately the main trend took to the circus played by Hoagland and
some, that seemed to find pyramids and faces in every corner of the
surface (this seemed contagious as we see now about Spirit's place).
Besides, NASA made a lot of fuss about "Martian Humour" pointing to
Elvis leaving the stage and BigFoot entering it. In fact all looked as
a strong desmise of independent and subscientific research. Meanwhile,
several questions remained. NASA never gave a clear explanation for
the outgrowths but the most important question was the level of carbon
found at Pathfinder. Back then, they said their instruments could not
measure directly carbon but an estimate could be done and they would
publish soon. An year ago I decided to find if they published it. I
came into an old fragment of old Pathfinder's site where the promess
still remained...

Welcome to the new Mars.

I think it's more Rekall, Rekall, Rekall...