Equatorial mount use!

Old January 1st 04, 12:38 PM
Richard @

Default Equatorial mount use!

Does anyone have any information of how to get the best out of my GEM? I can
use it, point it at objects and even managed to balance the damn thing given
the rubbish instructions that came with the scope but I am still a bit
bamboozled regarding polar alignment etc.

I've searched on google for info but so far my search for something suitable
has been fruitless.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old January 1st 04, 02:23 PM
Stephen Tonkin

"Richard @" wrote:
Does anyone have any information of how to get the best out of my GEM?

There's some pointers to where manuals may be obtained on linein teh
FAQ:
http://www.astunit.com/faq/uksciastrofaq.htm

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old January 1st 04, 02:36 PM
Len Philpot

says...
Does anyone have any information of how to get the best out of my GEM? I can
use it, point it at objects and even managed to balance the damn thing given
the rubbish instructions that came with the scope but I am still a bit
bamboozled regarding polar alignment etc.

I've searched on google for info but so far my search for something suitable
has been fruitless.

Thank you very much in advance.

I may well get dissenting opinions, but I've found that for /visual/
use (only), simply pointing the polar shaft at Polaris is plenty close
enough. The method I use with a Genesis on my old Celestron/Vixen
Polaris mount is :

1. Level the tripod with the polar axis pointing north

2. Set the declination axis to 90 deg north

3. Set the right ascension rotation where the counterweight is straight
down (just for simplicity sake, to avoid imbalance)

4. Using a moderate power ocular (~100x), adjust the mount's azimuth
and altitude axes (NOT the RA and Dec axes) until Polaris is centered
in the ocular.

When I want greater accuracy than this, I use a chart of the north
polar region I printed using Megastar. It has my eyepiece FOV centered
on the pole for a fairly current date. Just align the mount (#4) until
the view matches the chart and you're close enough to track for hours
without losing the object.

Please note that neither of these methods is anywhere good enough for
photography, and they both assume your optical axis is centered on the
mount's mechanical RA axis. For visual use, this is most likely true.

Works for me... :-)

--

-- Len Philpot -
Old January 1st 04, 05:12 PM
Richard @

Thank you. Both replies help me alot. All I have to do now is wait for the
cloud to disperse. Damn you Mother Nature!

Thanks again.

says...

Old January 1st 04, 05:17 PM
Sally

"Len Philpot" wrote in message
1. Level the tripod with the polar axis pointing north
2. Set the declination axis to 90 deg north
3. Set the right ascension rotation where the counterweight is straight
down (just for simplicity sake, to avoid imbalance)
4. Using a moderate power ocular (~100x), adjust the mount's azimuth
and altitude axes (NOT the RA and Dec axes) until Polaris is centered
in the ocular.

That is the method I use with my LXD55 SN but followed by a GOTO two star
alignment. Works every time.
Sally

Old January 1st 04, 05:25 PM
david

Try this...

http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/

Setting of Equatorial Mount Bill Misc 1 January 3rd 04 07:17 PM
Any suitable material to protect my equatorial mount? Chotechai Amateur Astronomy 0 December 30th 03 12:01 PM
Can someone explain how an equatorial mount works please? Malcolm Hewitt UK Astronomy 3 November 11th 03 08:59 PM
Making or Buying a Equatorial Mount Ricardo UK Astronomy 11 September 7th 03 10:55 AM