Mercury Mission Patch Design

Old June 27th 07, 03:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Mercury Mission Patch Design

The center in Philadelphia showing off the Liberty Bell includes
displays of the Bell's appearance in popular culture, including (among
very many things including chairs so tacky I'm surprised my grandmother
didn't have them) Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 mission patch.

The display diorama -- needing to bring the captions in on time --
doesn't explain that the patch was created a couple of years after the
flight when the Gemini V ``Covered Wagon'' patch proved to be a big hit,
but we all know that here anyway.

What I wondered was: do we know who created the 'retcon' patches,
and to what extent the first nine astronauts to fly were involved in the
design? (On the one hand I imagine they'd find it a bit of extra fun --
my sense is the Apollo astronauts generally viewed it as a treat among
the harder work -- but then it would also be yet another thing to do and
over flights that were months and years in the past that didn't improve
the flights' usefulness outside publicity value.)

--
Joseph Nebus
Old June 28th 07, 03:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matthew Ota[_1_]

On Jun 27, 7:19 am, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
[...]

I have been collecting spaceflight patches since 1968.

I never purchased any of the Mercury or the GT-3 or GT-4 patches,
specifically because they were
created by emblem companies as souvenirs. Since they are not official
I have never
considered them to be collectable or displayabe in a museum.

Apparently some logo designer came up with the designs over 35 years
ago.
That is when I started seeing them in AB Emblem company catalogs.
You can tell they are "fakes" due to the poor designs.

Matthew Ota

Old June 29th 07, 12:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

Apparently some logo designer came up with the designs over 35 years
ago.
That is when I started seeing them in AB Emblem company catalogs.
You can tell they are "fakes" due to the poor designs.

Did NASA employ top flight graphic designers for the real patches? It
may just be a case of traditional style that the fakers never seem to
adequately copy well.
Old June 29th 07, 12:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
scott

On Jun 27, 9:19 am, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---

There was no Liberty Bell 7 patch, Gus Grissom did design a Molly
Brown/GT-3 patch.....post flight.

Old July 2nd 07, 12:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jun 27, 7:39 pm, Matthew Ota wrote:
[...]

I saw an ad in a magazine c 1974 and got a complete set of all manned
missions to that date (all 4 Skylabs, but no ASTP), along with a
general NASA (swoosh), Mariner 2 & 4, and a Vostok patch. There may
have been one or two others, but all of them were stolen years ago.

soviet Mercury mission ? Hex History 2 July 19th 04 05:03 PM
Manned Mission to Mercury Martha H Adams Policy 30 October 31st 03 05:47 PM
International Joint Mercury Exploration Mission 'BepiColombo' Moves to Next Stage after Review by SAC Ron Baalke Misc 0 August 20th 03 07:14 PM
SpaceDev to Design Lunar Dish Observatory Mission Ron Baalke Astronomy Misc 0 July 24th 03 04:53 PM
SpaceDev to Design Lunar Dish Observatory Mission Ron Baalke Misc 0 July 24th 03 04:53 PM