New NASA System Will Help Space Station Crews Breathe Easier

Old July 19th 07, 02:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default New NASA System Will Help Space Station Crews Breathe Easier

A new oxygen generation system tested between July 11 and 14 aboard
the International Space Station will allow the orbiting laboratory's
crew size to increase in 2009

http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/g156.htm

Old July 19th 07, 03:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Herb Schaltegger[_2_]

wrote:
A new oxygen generation system tested between July 11 and 14 aboard
the International Space Station will allow the orbiting laboratory's
crew size to increase in 2009

http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/g156.htm

Nice to see ECLSS hardware I worked on for SSF 15 years ago finally
getting a chance to fly and operating as intended (even if it was only a
test). :-)

--
Fear is the path to the dark side...
Fear leads to anger...
Old July 19th 07, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"John Doe" wrote in message
The arcticle mentions O2 in Quest before the candles as O2 sources. Yet, I
do not recall the uSA every releasing Quest O2 into the cabin, even during
Elektron failures.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006...on_status.html
From above, "Oxygen is being supplied in the station cabin by tanks on the
outside of the U.S. Quest Airlock while an onboard Russian oxygen-generation
system, called the Elektron, is not working."

Still, the preferred source is from the Progress tanks since if you don't
use it, you lose it when the Progress leaves the station and burns up in the
atmosphere. The next preferred source is from the Russian oxygen "candles"
since those do "expire" after a period of time, so again, use them or lose
them.

And I also have not heard of any plans by NASA to refill those tanks
beyond 2010 when the shuttle ceases to fly. Once the ability to refill
those tanks is gone, whatever O2 and N2 will be left in there will be
considered extrememely precious and I am not even sure NASA will want to
conduct EVAs from Quest unless some new way is found to refill those
tanks.

If commercial access/resupply to the station begins, I'd guess this would be
one of the items they'd be delivering to ISS. Failing that, NASA could use
the CEV for station resupply. Worst case, you do more walks from Piers
using Russian suits to conserve the US O2/N2 supply for emergencies.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old July 19th 07, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Jeff Findley wrote:
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006...on_status.html

Thanks. This is the first I heard of this happening. I the past, during
Elektron failures, they USA had never announced that O2 from Quest would
be used. (I would have thought that at one point, they would have at
least wanted to test it out in order to ensure that the automated
systems released the right amount of O2. Of course, since much of that
time happened during a shuttle standdown, it is understandable that NASA
wouldn't want to touch Quest's tanks.

If commercial access/resupply to the station begins, I'd guess this would be
one of the items they'd be delivering to ISS.

Look at how long ATV took and it has yet to fly. Do you seriously
beleive any commercial delivery company might have something that could
dock to the USA side right after the Shuttle is retired ? Has NASA even
begun to THINK about outfitting PMA2 with whatever would be needed to
let something like ATV dock to PMA2 with the right docking collar ?

There are only 2 automated docking systems on the horizon: Kurs and the
ATV one. HTV is still vapourware. 2010 is coming VERY quickly.

Failing that, NASA could use
the CEV for station resupply.

Well, if we start to allow mythical vehicles, why not discuss NX01
docking to the space station to give it O2 ?

Unless NASA scrambles to develop something that can deliver CMGs and
other bulky items in an automated fashion to the station, by the time
that CEV thng might actually fly, it isn't a given that the station will
still be functional.

Worst case, you do more walks from Piers
using Russian suits to conserve the US O2/N2 supply for emergencies.

Yep. Especially since there will be very little capacity to return used
US EVA suits and bring back new repaired ones.

One possibility though would be to fit a Progress with an extra O2 and
N2 tanks inside, and use long flexible hoses to connect the progress
tanks to Quest's pumps so that Quest could then extract the gas from
Progress and pump them into its own tanks.

What is susprising is that we don't hear NASA discuss its options to
keep Quest alive after the shuttle is retired.
Old July 20th 07, 01:13 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

If commercial access/resupply to the station begins,

Pigs will sprout wings and fly first.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 20th 07, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

If commercial access/resupply to the station begins,

Pigs will sprout wings and fly first.

Good thing I live near Cincinnati, home of the Flying Pig Marathon.

http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/