Space calendar etc

Old April 5th 18, 09:21 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Space calendar etc

I would remind those uploading he space calendar to the sci.space.news
group that we are now in April. Also nobody ever puts news up there these
days. I find this most irritating.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old April 5th 18, 09:36 AM posted to sci.space.station
William Elliot[_4_]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Brian Gaff wrote:

I would remind those uploading he space calendar to the
sci.space.news group that we are now in April. Also nobody ever puts
news up there these days. I find this most irritating.

Me too. I wrote the person who posts the news and no reply.
I think it's an end to another usenet group.

Old April 5th 18, 10:57 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Its corporate amnesia. As soon as the previous person goes, moves, dies or
whatever, no record has been made of what they did, so any new person has no
idea what went on.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
.com...

Old April 5th 18, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

But the thing is, web pages from my point of view are far less easy to use
than a news group and there is no reason why one cannot have web addresses
on a news post, but basic details are far easier to navigate on here than on
a web site with like this or more heres all over the bleedin place
apparantly randomly distributed with adverts, pop ups and silly animations.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

Its corporate amnesia. As soon as the previous person goes, moves, dies
or
whatever, no record has been made of what they did, so any new person has
no
idea what went on.

This isn't a corporate job. It's a volunteer job. The fact is that
Usenet News is just a tiny fraction of what it was in the 1980s, due to
web pages replacing it. It took 30 years for this to happen, so I think
it's been a pretty good ride.

Jeff

Old April 6th 18, 03:45 AM posted to sci.space.station
William Elliot[_4_]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:

But the thing is, web pages from my point of view are far less
easy to use than a news group and there is no reason why one
cannot have web addresses on a news post, but basic details are
far easier to navigate on here than on a web site with like this
or more heres all over the bleedin place apparantly randomly
distributed with adverts, pop ups and silly animations.

Agreed, but Usenet News just isn't as popular as it used to be.
The number of active posters in the sci.space groups can be counted
on one person's fingers. :-(

With all that Java Script abuse, the web is becoming unusable.
Add in all that commercial primacy, surveillance and censorship,
it's becoming useless.

Whenever a popup balloon interrupts my reading, I disconnect from the
web site. If every body did that, would the web monsters learn?

Old April 6th 18, 10:56 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:

But the thing is, web pages from my point of view are far less
easy to use than a news group and there is no reason why one
cannot have web addresses on a news post, but basic details are
far easier to navigate on here than on a web site with like this
or more heres all over the bleedin place apparantly randomly
distributed with adverts, pop ups and silly animations.

Agreed, but Usenet News just isn't as popular as it used to be.
The number of active posters in the sci.space groups can be counted
on one person's fingers. :-(

With all that Java Script abuse, the web is becoming unusable.
Add in all that commercial primacy, surveillance and censorship,
it's becoming useless.

Whenever a popup balloon interrupts my reading, I disconnect from the
web site. If every body did that, would the web monsters learn?

Yeah, I think I'm going to take one of my spare Raspberry Pi computers
and install Pihole on it to kill all the abusive ads.

Jeff
Old April 6th 18, 03:58 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Yes some sites now won't let you use them if you kill their adverts. This
includes catch up video sites as well. I have no issue with adverts, its
the ridiculously intrusive way they are used that ****es me off.
I also boycott sites using cap chars to decide if you are a human or not.
they often include an audio version, often called a 'challenge' which
usually means they are completely unintelligible.
Then to add insult to injury if you manage to get in and sign up the
advertise to you.
The joke of this is that most spammers seem to have a solution to these
human detectors, so they just keep out humans who cannot fathom out wobbly
writing or hear rubbish speech.
I do think that the web needs to take a good look at itself again, and to
be honest, if I could be sure of ease of use and no adverts, I'd rather pay
a couple of quid than suffer the crap we do now.
Brian

--
----- -

Old April 7th 18, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.station
William Elliot[_4_]

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes some sites now won't let you use them if you kill their adverts.
This includes catch up video sites as well. I have no issue with
adverts, its the ridiculously intrusive way they are used that
****es me off.
I also boycott sites using cap chars to decide if you are a human or not.
they often include an audio version, often called a 'challenge' which
usually means they are completely unintelligible.

I found an item advertised on the web that I wanted to buy.
There was no link to buy what I wanted, only links to simuliar stuff.
So I try to contact it.

It's the snotty sort without phone number, street address, email
address, nor chat link. Just a form to fill out. But before I sent
it, I have to prove I'm not a bot. So I play their game, and loose;
I cannot get pass the troll even with repeated attempts.

The more complicated stuff is made, the worse it
works. In this case, the smart alex lost a sale.

I do business with a company whose web security is so tight,
that I just call them about my account.

Those places when you're put on hole and have
to listen to abnoxious sounds and/or ads ...