Baader Solar Film Quality - check for quality

Old May 14th 04, 10:53 AM
Robin Leadbeater

Default Baader Solar Film Quality - check for quality

Hi all,

I expect like me, many of you have bought Baader Solar Film recently
intending to make filters for the Venus Transit. If you have not done so
already it could be worth your while inspecting it carefully. I found a
recently purchased A4 sheet had several 1cm bands of light scratching across
one face. Although as far as I can see it does not affect the safety of the
film, it definitely affected the image, producing a band of scattered light
which rotated with the filter . Although the supplier replaced it of course,
it took two goes to find one free of these scratches so my suspicion is
there may be more examples out there.

Robin

Old May 14th 04, 11:17 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:53:07 +0100, "Robin Leadbeater"
wrote:

I expect like me, many of you have bought Baader Solar Film recently
intending to make filters for the Venus Transit. If you have not done so
already it could be worth your while inspecting it carefully. I found a
recently purchased A4 sheet had several 1cm bands of light scratching across
one face. Although as far as I can see it does not affect the safety of the
film, it definitely affected the image, producing a band of scattered light
which rotated with the filter . Although the supplier replaced it of course,
it took two goes to find one free of these scratches so my suspicion is
there may be more examples out there.

Thanks for the heads up Robin - I'd better get around to opening my
recent delivery and checking it out.

I wandered into my local camera store the other day and asked them
whether they had a Canon to T-mount adapter. The woman behind the
counter mentioned that my query was one of many about such adapters
that she'd had in the last few days. I wonder if this has anything to
do with a certain event that's coming up...?
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old May 14th 04, 10:26 PM
gp.skinner

I expect like me, many of you have bought Baader Solar Film recently
intending to make filters for the Venus Transit. If you have not done so
already it could be worth your while inspecting it carefully. I found a
recently purchased A4 sheet had several 1cm bands of light scratching

across
one face. Although as far as I can see it does not affect the safety of

the
film, it definitely affected the image, producing a band of scattered

light
which rotated with the filter . Although the supplier replaced it of

course,
it took two goes to find one free of these scratches so my suspicion is
there may be more examples out there.

I only use Baader film for photographic use, but that said I still give it a
good check over every time I use it. Its good that your supplier replaced
the faulty film rather than expect you to use it.

Graeme

Old May 16th 04, 08:07 AM
Chris.B

"gp.skinner" wrote in message ...

I only use Baader film for photographic use, but that said I still give it a
good check over every time I use it. Its good that your supplier replaced
the faulty film rather than expect you to use it.

Graeme

For what it costs for an A4 sheet the quality control seems to be
crap. Mine had a deep fold 'ironed' permanently across the centre of
the film. I have heard others on newsgroups complaining about pinholes
and lines.

Exchanging for a better example isn't always an easy option in these
days of international online purchasing. Particularly when buying for
a specific one-off event like a transit or eclipse.

Even if a visible fault does not reduce the safety or usefulness of
the product. It always leaves a subconscious fear of self-destruction
and/or possible resulting eye damage. Which I consider intolerable
considering the specific intended purpose of the product (and the
price charged).

Chris.B
Old May 17th 04, 03:51 PM
gp.skinner

Exchanging for a better example isn't always an easy option in these
days of international online purchasing. Particularly when buying for
a specific one-off event like a transit or eclipse.
Even if a visible fault does not reduce the safety or usefulness of
the product. It always leaves a subconscious fear of self-destruction
and/or possible resulting eye damage. Which I consider intolerable
considering the specific intended purpose of the product (and the
price charged).

I'd say if anyone had the slightest doubt about the safety of their solar
film they should not use it. If it arrives marked or folded in any way I'd
again say don't use it. The cost of the A4 sheet is what around 14 GBP these
days, so ordering from abroad is not really essential to save a couple of
quid, if you buy it from a UK supplier they are bound by trading standards
to supply the product in sound condition.

Graeme