Baader Solar film

Old October 4th 03, 01:47 AM
Joe

Default Baader Solar film

Has anyone used and made a solar filter using Baader solar film from AGENA
AstroProducts? I am looking into solar observing and and quit crafty, so I
was going to make my own filter for my scopes. Also, I have a 80mm ST
refractor and a 130mm Newt, what one would you suggest I use, if not both?
I have provided a like below.

http://www.agenaastro.com/Pages/Prod...baaderfilm.htm

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old October 4th 03, 02:06 AM
JeffPo

I've use the Baader material to make a solar filter for my 80mm refractor.
I've been very please with the performance. In comparing it to an Orion
glass filter on an 90mm ETX during the Mercury transit of 1999, I thought
the Baader material gave more contrast.

Use both!

Jeff
http://www.mindspring.com/~jeffpo

Joe wrote in message .. .
Has anyone used and made a solar filter using Baader solar film from AGENA
AstroProducts? I am looking into solar observing and and quit crafty, so I
was going to make my own filter for my scopes. Also, I have a 80mm ST
refractor and a 130mm Newt, what one would you suggest I use, if not both?
I have provided a like below.

http://www.agenaastro.com/Pages/Prod...s_solarfilters

_baaderfilm.htm

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old October 4th 03, 03:13 AM
OG

"Joe" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone used and made a solar filter using Baader solar film from AGENA
AstroProducts? I am looking into solar observing and and quit crafty, so

was going to make my own filter for my scopes. Also, I have a 80mm ST
refractor and a 130mm Newt, what one would you suggest I use, if not both?
I have provided a like below.

I've made a Baader filter for a 114mm newtonian scope
see
www.gwynnefamily.org.uk/astro

I've found results with a filter don't match what you can get with eyepiece
projection onto card, but EP projection risks extreme heat effects on
secondary, focus assembly and EP elements.

Old October 4th 03, 03:53 AM
Joe

Thanks Everyone. I think I'll buy enough to use it on both my scopes.
Jeff, did you use the directions from the site to make the housing?
"OG" wrote in message

t...

Old October 4th 03, 01:19 PM
Jb2269

Joe,
I dont know where in the world you live but Baader film is also available
from Astro Physics in the USA. The filter is easy to fabricate and the
performance is awesome. Just be careful that the filter assembly is firmly
attached to your telescope. The beauty of the projection method is the high
degree of eye safety and the group viewing feature.
Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL
Old October 4th 03, 02:45 PM
JeffPo

Pretty much. The "tube" portion is extra long, so there's no way for it to
blow off my scope. I also used duct tape.

Old October 4th 03, 03:43 PM
RKroeppler

I purchased the film from Draco Productions and used it to make filters for my
20 x 80 binos. Great product, excellent price, and the service from Draco was
way above par.

Scott

Old October 6th 03, 09:26 PM
Alexander Avtanski

RKroeppler wrote:

I purchased the film from Draco Productions and used it to make filters for my
20 x 80 binos. Great product, excellent price, and the service from Draco was
way above par.

Scott

I also ordered my Baader material from Draco Productions (www.dracoproductions.net)
and was very pleased both by the filter performance, and by the outstanding
customer service.

- Alex