ASTRO: Potentially four new dark blobs discovered in Dream Machine test shot from Stinger 450

Old December 5th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: Potentially four new dark blobs discovered in Dream Machine test shot from Stinger 450

initially I thoiught the two blobs by the stars were noise or dust
particles, but they are not

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/cri...c1396_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crisp2_crisp3_crisp4_CroftCrispHowell1_candidates_in_ic1396_svga.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	205
Old December 5th 06, 08:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
t...
initially I thoiught the two blobs by the stars were noise or dust
particles, but they are not

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/cri...c1396_page.htm

Great work, Richard. By the way, anytime you get tired of that Stinger...
:-)

George

Old December 5th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

well now that you mention it George: I built two at the same time: one for
me and one for a friend.

The friend is moving to a place where he cannot set up an observatory and he
has discussed possibly selling it

If you are interested I can introduce the two of you

Old December 5th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I can see Crisp-Venter1 and 2 as well as Croft-Crisp-Howell1 in the
POSS1 and 2 red plates. POSS1 shows them the best even if at a lower
scale. Not able to see Crisp4 however but the contrast may be too low.
I'm not even sure I see it in your shot. They do show better in your
shot than either of the POSS plates. If it ever stops snowing I will
see what my darker skies show here. I am normally about mag 6.5 if no
moon or northern lights.

Rick

Old December 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

the funny thing Rick is that these were shot in a suburban backyard under a
near full moon and it still goes deeper than DSS

of course they have a lot of sky to cover so they can't spend 3.5 hours per
aiming probably

using the Dream machine I got it done in 3.5 hours. had I used the Maxcam it
may have been more like 15 hours to get the same depth

Old December 6th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
. ..
well now that you mention it George: I built two at the same time: one
for me and one for a friend.

The friend is moving to a place where he cannot set up an observatory and
he has discussed possibly selling it

If you are interested I can introduce the two of you

Umm, I was thinking more of a charitible donation. :-)

Sorry for the confusion.

George

Old December 7th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

It pays to get a good close view... neat stuff.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old December 8th 06, 12:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
the funny thing Rick is that these were shot in a suburban backyard under
a near full moon and it still goes deeper than DSS

of course they have a lot of sky to cover so they can't spend 3.5 hours
per aiming probably

Rick, Richard, et al:

Don't forget those POSS shots are film. The 48" goes a lot deeper now
with CCD.

Those little dark clouds are so small that they might surround individual
proto-stars! Cool stuff.

George N

Old December 9th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

you'll become the king of the dark blobs if you discover any more ;-)
With the kind of exposure time you put into your images you certainly can go
for the exotic stuff. I'm looking forward to your next findings.

Stefan

t...

Old December 10th 06, 06:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

thanks Stefan

Actually this wasn't too long really: it was only 3.5 hours

the Dream Machine is like a photon vacuum cleaner

using the maxcam I estimate it would have taken nearly 9 times longer to get
to the same saturation level based solely on pixel size and QE
considerations.

of course the Maxcam is sampling at 0.42 arc-sec/pixel versus 1.47 using the
DM

one night when the seeing is good it would be fun to shoot with the Maxcam
binned 2x2 at f/7.1 to get 0.84 ASP and then pop out the focal reducer and
shoot the DM at f/12.6 for 0.86 ASP and see how they stack up