Recent S/F novels about commercial space flight?

Old May 2nd 12, 08:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Robert Clark[_2_]

Default Recent S/F novels about commercial space flight?

On May 1, 2:38*pm, (William December Starr) wrote:
In article ,
Robert Clark said:

A propos of that would be Bill White's novel "Platinum Moon":

Platinum Moon [Paperback]
Bill White (Author)
"International intrigue, action, adventure and suspense wrapped around
a moon landing.
"Power abhors a vacuum. After NASA abandons its plans to return to the
Moon,NewHampshire native and global entrepreneur Harold Hewitt steps
in to fill the void. Rejecting the notion that the exploration of
space must be reserved to government, Hewitt establishes Lunar
Materials LLC to prospect for lunar platinum – platinum needed for
fuel cells that will help mitigate global warming. Hewitt sees himself
as an old fashioned Yankee trader, touting his lunar ambitions as an
altruistic endeavor undertaken in harmonious collaboration with global
partners. His opponents view Hewitt as a Yankee traitor selling out
his country in pursuit of profit."
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Moon-.../dp/0984405801

Looks self-published:

* *Linkname: Higher Hill Publishing Inc. - Bibliography
* * * * URL:http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisher.cgi?33140

which suggests that he couldn't even get Baen to print it, despite
the fact that everything about that blurb practically _screams_
"Baen Books!"

-- wds

The key question is whether it is a good book or not. I haven't read
the book yet. Clark Lindsay who operates the HobbySpace.com site is
someone whose opinion I respect. He gives it a good review he

Review: "Platinum Moon" by Bill White.
http://www.hobbyspace.com/nucleus/HS...23634&catid=74

Based on that, I'll give the book a read. I'll post my review here in
about a week.

Bob Clark
Old May 6th 12, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Ala

"DouhetSukd" wrote in message

For the Firestar series he was still learning his craft, IMHO. Wreck
of the River of Stars and Eifelheim are much more sophisticated
books. But as far as the OP's request goes, this is a very good
series.

http://pbfcomics.com/210/

Old May 9th 12, 01:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Michael Stemper

"DouhetSukd" wrote in message ...

For the Firestar series he was still learning his craft, IMHO. Wreck
of the River of Stars and Eifelheim are much more sophisticated
books. But as far as the OP's request goes, this is a very good
series.

Flynn? The first book in the Firestar series came out in 1996, by which
time he'd had quite a lot published. Was it a trunk novel that he wrote
prior to all of that other stuff?

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include Standard_Disclaimer