Mars astronaut requirements

Old March 10th 04, 06:48 AM
btrposter

Default Mars astronaut requirements

Where would I find info on the sort of college degrees and skills the
people that are going to be sent to Mars (and the Moon) would need to
have? What should one major in in college if they want to be a
Mars/Moon astronaut?

Old March 12th 04, 10:18 PM
Sporkman

The requirements are much stiffer than you might imagine. If you can
understand the instructions on the following site, though, you could be
a good candidate. Otherwise, zip it.

http://www.underview.com/2001/funbits/zerog.html

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton
WaterMark Design, LLC
www.h2omarkdesign.com
Charlotte, NC

Old March 13th 04, 07:04 AM
Joann Evans

btrposter wrote:

Where would I find info on the sort of college degrees and skills the
people that are going to be sent to Mars (and the Moon) would need to
have? What should one major in in college if they want to be a
Mars/Moon astronaut?

If you can wait until we have a signifigant presence on the Moon, the
usual kinds of astronomy and observational astrophysics will be done
there, at the wavelengths we can obsere down there, and those
wavelengths absorbed by Earth's atmomosphere. This will be espically
true of radioastronomy done on the Lunar farside....

However, geology still looks like your best bet, short and long term,
either world. But be willing to do either basic research, or applied
geology. (the latter meaning doing work that's a precursor to mining or
similar resource utilization)

And there will always be a need for medical doctors out there....

--

You know what to remove, to reply....

Old March 15th 04, 12:15 AM
El Guapo