isospeed graph of galaxy ?

Old April 16th 05, 06:42 PM
Thierry

Default isospeed graph of galaxy ?

Hi,

I am off-subject but I can't find a better newsgroup to post my request.

For professional purposes, I am searching graphs showing "isospeed maps" of
galaxies (those graphs showing galaxies like an electrical "spider" which
extensions represent fields of same speed) in the framework of a study of
dark matter.

I am searching for 2-3 of such graphs showing an important differential
movement in periphery (where curves are tilted).

Google can't help...any URL to suggest ?

Another solution, to scan me some graphs published you found in a book and
send them to me in PNG with references.
If this solution suit you, please contact me via :
ttp://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/post.htm

Thanks in advance

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Old April 21st 05, 05:37 AM
canopus56

I am searching graphs showing "isospeed maps" of galaxies
[in the form of spider diagrams] in the framework of a study of
dark matter. I am searching for 2-3 of such graphs showing
an important differential movement in periphery (where curves
are tilted).

For an overview of studies on how the warp of neutral hydrogen outside
the optically visible part of galactic disks supports the theory that
there is a significant dark matter component to galaxies, see -

Binney, James, Merrifield, Michael. 1998. "Velocity fields of disks".
Section 8.2.4 In _Galactic Astronomy_. Princeton Univ. Press. ISBN
0-691-02565-7.

Binney's overview includes reproductions of figures from and citations
to key kinematic studies of galaxies containing the spider diagrams of
the velocity of neutral hydrogen superimposed on optical photographs of
galaxies, including -

Figure 4 in
Sancisi, R.; Allen, R. J.; Sullivan, W. T., III. Sep. 1979. Neutral
hydrogen observations of the barred spiral galaxy NGC 5383, A&A
78(2):217-225
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...A%26A....78..=
217S
Citations to article: 56

Figures 1 and 3 in
Sancisi, R. Dec. 1976. Warped HI Disks in Galaxies. A&A 53:159
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...A%26A....53..=
159S
Citations to article: 151

Figures 8 and 9 in
Rogstad, D. H.; Lockart, I. A.; Wright, M. C. H. Oct. 1974.
Aperture-synthesis observations of H I in the galaxy M 83. Astrophys.
J=2E, 193:309-319.
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...ApJ...193..30=
9R
Citations to article: 169

NASA/ADS links to citations to these articles may lead to other more
recent H I warp isobar or position velocity diagrams that would be
useful for your purposes. A couple that looked promising we

For 4 galaxies not edge-on (nearly face on) where the position velocity
diagram does look like a spider, Figures 5-8 in
Christodoulou, Dimitris M.; Tohline, Joel E.; Steiman-Cameron, Thomas
Y=2E Oct. 1993. Kinematical Modeling of WARPS in the H i Disks of
Galaxies. Astrophysical J. 416:74.
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...ApJ...416...7=
4C

For 31 edge-on galaxies, where the position velocity diagram does not
look like a spider, Figure 13 in
Garc=EDa-Ruiz, I.; Sancisi, R.; Kuijken, K. Nov. 2002. Neutral hydrogen
and optical observations of edge-on galaxies: Hunting for warps. Nov.
2002. A&A 394:769-789.
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...A%26A...394..=
769G
arXiv e-print Link:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0207112

Enjoy - Canopus56

P=2ES. - For lurkers, galaxies in the spring sky for which the
velocity rotation diagrams are shown in the above articles, by
descending magnitude, include:

M83 - Subject of Rogstad (1974), a face-on galaxy at slight angle;
Figure 8 in Christodoulou (1993). In Hydra. RA13h 37m Dec. -29d 52m.
Mag. 7.6. Dia. 11.2'.

NGC4565 - Figure 3 in Sancisi (1976), an edge-on galaxy; In Coma Ber.
RA12h 36.3m. Dec. 25d 59m. Mag. 9.6. Dia. 16.2'.

NGC 5383 - in Sancisi (1979), a face on barred spiral galaxy. In Virgo.
RA13 57.1 Dec. +41 51. Mag 11.4. Dia. 3.5'

NGC 2770 - Figure 13 in Garcia-Ruiz (2002), an edge-on galaxy. In Lynx.
RA 9 09.6 Dec. +33 07. Mag. 12. Dia. 3.7'

neutral hydrogen warp and galaxy "dark matter", generally see:

Kent, Stephen M. Apr. 1987. Dark matter in spiral galaxies. II -
Galaxies with H I rotation curves. Astronomical J. 93:816-832.
NASA/ADS Link:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...AJ.....93..81=
6K