Terraforming Mars

Old March 5th 04, 01:24 PM
Rob

Default Terraforming Mars

Most of you will proberly have thought about the possibility of making Mars
a world we could live on. It goes something like use a dark plant which
would survive on the poles and melt the dry ice creating oxygen and also the
water ice which would then giveway to an atmosphere (or something like
that). My question is would it be possible to terraform a planet without a
molten core to create a magnetic around the planet. Wouldn't this be needed
to sheild Mars from the solar wind?

Old March 5th 04, 03:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"Rob" . wrote in message ...
Most of you will proberly have thought about the possibility of making

Mars
a world we could live on. It goes something like use a dark plant which
would survive on the poles and melt the dry ice creating oxygen and also

the
water ice which would then giveway to an atmosphere (or something like
that). My question is would it be possible to terraform a planet without a
molten core to create a magnetic around the planet. Wouldn't this be

needed
to sheild Mars from the solar wind?

As I understand it the magnetic field around earth is critical to our
survival. Since Mars has little or no magnetic field, we would need some
other means of protecting earthmartians. I suspect it would be cheaper and
technologically easier, just to build underground and/or use dome
structures.

BV.

Old March 5th 04, 08:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"BenignVanilla" wrote in alt.astronomy:

As I understand it the magnetic field around earth is critical to our
survival. Since Mars has little or no magnetic field, we would need
some other means of protecting earthmartians. I suspect it would be
cheaper and technologically easier, just to build underground and/or
use dome structures.

Genetic manipulation? Create genes that grow a human resistant to
radiation? And make his lungs bigger and his body thinner so he could
breathe easier and needed less oxygen.

And grow two antenna's on his head and give him a green complexion. The
latter just for fun. Because we _can_.

Oh yes, and teach him a new language that consists of bleeps and bloops and
words that have Z's and G's in them only. And only allow names like Zeldar,
and Gormish and maybe a Darla or two.

BV.

Old March 6th 04, 01:40 AM
Cotton Spandey

If you planted any single seed at all on mars, within 20 years, the entire
planet would be a flourishing bisophere, and the temperature would be within
earth-like ranges.

Mark my words.

Old March 6th 04, 01:47 AM
Dat's Me

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:49:55 +0000, CeeBee wrote:

"BenignVanilla" wrote in alt.astronomy:

Genetic manipulation? Create genes that grow a human resistant to
radiation? And make his lungs bigger and his body thinner so he could
breathe easier and needed less oxygen.

Fur (with builtin lead - or some other gamma(?) opaque material): Thermal
& radiation insulation.

And grow two antenna's on his head and give him a green complexion. The
latter just for fun. Because we _can_.

Green skin: Photosynthesis - although, how this'd work with fur I have no
idea. :-)
Old March 6th 04, 05:59 AM
wolfhedd

ya but thats a depressing thought if you know what i mean, to genetically
alter people means not within our lifetime. we need something now, the
earth if beyond its sustainable output right now. what we need is
technology, not to alter people... and on the domes, we just barely are
getting domes to cover stadiums but the gravity will benefit us greatly on
this subject on mars. and we need air, outdoor air or we will go insane
being indoors in artificial, sure that will be a good idea to start off, but
we need plans for the near future that will get the planet sustained with
fresh oxygen, which brings us to this post, magnetic problems. when someone
said about underground, i was thinking about maybe planting electromagnets
underground that may give local shielding? hows that sound?
wolf

--
CeeBee

_Got no wockin' furries_

Old March 6th 04, 11:08 AM
Darla

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

. . . and maybe a Darla or two.

BV.

Darla

Old March 6th 04, 05:09 PM
Rob

wolfhedd wrote:
except for the magnetosphere mark.
wolf

Which in turn would mean the solar wind would blow the newly created
biosphere out into space and iradiate the whole planet putting you back to
square one

Old March 6th 04, 05:44 PM
wolfhedd

you must have missed my idea of placing possibly electromagnets in the soil
with enough power to counter act this, just an idea..... but worth research
it seems..
wolf