Camcorder Astronomy...

Old August 18th 03, 12:31 PM
Andrew

Default Camcorder Astronomy...

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message ...
I borrowed a semi-pro MiniDV cam from work for the weekend with the
intention of dumping some stuff on my PC onto tape... but I got to thinking
about its caperbilites and had some fun

----- SMIPPED ----

As you can see - fun results for just a normal camcorder and 15 minutes of
play time on the PC afterwards

Doug

Hi,

Interesting shots, I particuarly liked the flare.

How did you attach the camera to the scope ? I have thought about
using my camcorder for a few shots of the moon etc., but I cannot find
a way to attach it to the focuser. Any tips ?

Andrew
Old August 18th 03, 12:50 PM
Doug Ellison

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

I borrowed a semi-pro MiniDV cam from work for the weekend with the
intention of dumping some stuff on my PC onto tape... but I got to

thinking
about its caperbilites and had some fun

----- SMIPPED ----

As you can see - fun results for just a normal camcorder and 15 minutes

of
play time on the PC afterwards

Doug

Hi,

Interesting shots, I particuarly liked the flare.

How did you attach the camera to the scope ? I have thought about
using my camcorder for a few shots of the moon etc., but I cannot find
a way to attach it to the focuser. Any tips ?

Andrew

I didnt - it was just sat on a tripod. Thats the lens of the camcorder doing
all the work - and astrovideo compensating for the drift - which was very
noticeable over 10 seconds.

Doug

Old August 18th 03, 04:14 PM
Graham W

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

I borrowed a semi-pro MiniDV cam from work for the weekend with the
intention of dumping some stuff on my PC onto tape... but I got to

thinking
about its caperbilites and had some fun

----- SMIPPED ----

Interesting shots, I particuarly liked the flare.

I did, too!

Doug,

What's that streak which is half way between the top of the scaffolding
and the flare and is at right angles to the flare?

What was the elapsed time of the recording?

Ta.

--
Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial

Old August 18th 03, 04:55 PM
Doug Ellison

"Graham W" wrote in message

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Ellison" wrote in message

I borrowed a semi-pro MiniDV cam from work for the weekend with the
intention of dumping some stuff on my PC onto tape... but I got to

thinking
about its caperbilites and had some fun

----- SMIPPED ----

Interesting shots, I particuarly liked the flare.

I did, too!

Doug,

What's that streak which is half way between the top of the scaffolding
and the flare and is at right angles to the flare?

What was the elapsed time of the recording?

LOL - that streak IS the flare :P

What you think's the flare - is a cable from a telegraph pole.!!!

It was about 20-25s for that one. - Strangely, stacking them doesnt bring
out as much detail as I'd hope.

I think this is because I was recording at an actual 1/3rd fps, but the film
was recording 25fps - and thus so is the AVI that goes into Astrovideo. I
cant get Astrovideo to read an avi after re-rendering out of Premiere at
say, 5fps

Doug

Old August 21st 03, 02:47 PM
Doug Ellison

"Doug Ellison" wrote in message
I borrowed a semi-pro MiniDV cam from work for the weekend with the
intention of dumping some stuff on my PC onto tape... but I got to

thinking
about its caperbilites and had some fun

http://www.djellison.plus.com/iridium54.jpg

Iridum Flare. It was actually a very very bright flare (heavens-above
reported it as -6 ) - but I stacked the whole event using astrovideo to

get
that image.

http://www.djellison.plus.com/M57.jpg

Stop laughing at the back - I wasnt trying to image M57 itself -it just

made
an interesting area and hopefully someone can tell me what Mag I've got

down
to here?

http://www.djellison.plus.com/M31.jpg

Amazingly - this actually appeared in the LCD screen as I was recording

it -
all be it a little feinter. Again - stacked a lot of images to get this
using astrovideo - as with the others. Again - I dont have a program
that'll show me anything more than my star atlas which maxes out at 6 -
6.5 - and theres a LOT more stars in these images than on the atlas!!

Right - using Starcalc and the full Tycho catalogue - I can certainly see
stars that are down to Mag 10 - which is astounding imho!!

More work to be done - and I'm using the quite OUTSTANDING registax now

Doug