SLOW! seti@home is SO slow on my P4

Old March 24th 04, 01:59 PM
S?ren

Default SLOW! seti@home is SO slow on my P4

i have a P4 northwood 2,4 ghz and 512 mb. ram, and even though i do
not run any other programs, seti@home takes about 20 hrs to complete a
file!!! i think that is a VERY long time... Isnt it optimized for SSE,
SSE2, MMX or anything? Is it posible to speed the process up? Do
anyone know why it is so slow?

please help me!
Old March 25th 04, 03:42 AM
Gary Heston

In article ,
S?ren wrote:
i have a P4 northwood 2,4 ghz and 512 mb. ram, and even though i do
not run any other programs, seti@home takes about 20 hrs to complete a
file!!! i think that is a VERY long time... Isnt it optimized for SSE,
SSE2, MMX or anything? Is it posible to speed the process up? Do
anyone know why it is so slow?

please help me!

It's not optimized for any special features of CPUs.

Are you running the graphical client or the command line client? The
graphical client burns a lot of CPU time drawing the pictures when
the screensaver kicks in.

My P3/600 systems do a WU in about nine hours; your system should be
doing four hours or less with the CLI.

Gary

--
Gary Heston

Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.
Old March 25th 04, 01:31 PM
S?ren

I use the GUI. How do you use the CLI? is it just when the program is
minimized? My cpu temp is only 41 degree celcius. In taskmanager i
tried to set the program to 'real time', but that just froze the
program. Now it runs in 'normal' priority mode.
can it have something to do with the WU i have? (are some WUs 'harder'
to figure than others?)
I tried to run setispy, and i placed the performancelevel of my cpu
equal to a 386! I realy hate to wait so long for a WU to finish....

have someone had the same problem, and found a solution? I have never
experienced a problem like this with other cpu demanding programs on
my comp. I can compress a divx movie faster than realtime.
Old March 26th 04, 02:22 AM
Michael D. Ober

Download SETI Driver from www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver. Download the CLI
Client from Berkeley. Put both in the same folder and start SETI Driver.
Click Transmit. When the client asks, log in to your current account and
let it finish downloading a WU. It will start crunching as soon as the WU
is downloaded. Set the Desired Cache Size to one or two days - I think 10
will be good - and click Transmit. Minimize SETI Driver, right click it's
icon and select Save Configuration. Now put a shortcut to SETI Driver in
your startup group.

In the GUI folder, create a file named "stop_after_send.txt" and let the GUI
continue crunching until it's done. If, in the GUI, you had to set a proxy
server, use these same settings in SETI Driver before clicking transmit the
first time.

Take time to read the SETI Driver web-site - it describes the various icons
and features.

Mike Ober.

om...

Old March 26th 04, 12:34 PM
Rich Turner

could someone send me a link for some more info on this seti program, what
does it do? thanks Rich
om...

Old March 26th 04, 04:51 PM
baskitcaise

Rich Turner wrote:

could someone send me a link for some more info on this seti program, what
does it do? thanks Rich

Umm how about here :-

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

HTH

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

Old April 9th 04, 12:32 PM
Bewildered

I was using a P3 1.7 Celeron averaging 15 hours unit but with the odd unit
which would take 100 hours!

Got a new PC P4 3GHx 512MB Set @ Home average 4hours

Switched to SETI STASH using CLI, (and SETI WATCH AND SETI LOG to see if
there is anything interesting) now processing units at about 2 hours 15 mins
each.

om...

Old April 9th 04, 07:36 PM
Clyde C. Phillips, III

"Bewildered" wrote in message ...
I was using a P3 1.7 Celeron averaging 15 hours unit but with the odd unit
which would take 100 hours!

Got a new PC P4 3GHx 512MB Set @ Home average 4hours

Switched to SETI STASH using CLI, (and SETI WATCH AND SETI LOG to see if
there is anything interesting) now processing units at about 2 hours 15 mins
each.

STAsH"S?ren" wrote in message
om...
i have a P4 northwood 2,4 ghz and 512 mb. ram, and even though i do
not run any other programs, seti@home takes about 20 hrs to complete a
file!!! i think that is a VERY long time... Isnt it optimized for SSE,
SSE2, MMX or anything? Is it posible to speed the process up? Do
anyone know why it is so slow?

please help me!

I think you can set up your P4 3.0 to hyperthread. If so it is
probable that you can increase your throughput by about 25 percent.
Two units will be processing simultaneously but require about 60
percent more time each to process. You may need Xp and may need to
reload it and reset the bios to hyperthread if not already set. Some
caches may assist in setting up to hyperthread.