CHANGING VIEWS SHUTTLE TO THE MOON IT CAN BE DONE

Old September 23rd 08, 03:34 AM posted to sci.space.history
rapoltalk

Default CHANGING VIEWS SHUTTLE TO THE MOON IT CAN BE DONE

There was a lot of skeptics out there about my theories about how a
shuttle can be sent to the moon and back. I am still convinced it can
be done. I decided tp do a little more research to prove my point. I
was around during the Apollo days and I remember the burn of the
Saturn 5 to get to a speed of 25000 to get out of Earths Orbit TLI.
CONTINUE

http://changingviews1.blogspot.com
Old September 23rd 08, 03:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"rapoltalk" wrote in message
There was a lot of skeptics out there about my theories about how a
shuttle can be sent to the moon and back. I am still convinced it can
be done. I decided tp do a little more research to prove my point. I
was around during the Apollo days and I remember the burn of the
Saturn 5 to get to a speed of 25000 to get out of Earths Orbit TLI.
CONTINUE

http://changingviews1.blogspot.com

Alright; you could get it to the Moon, but how about getting it back again?
The TPS on the shuttle's barely good enough to deal with re-entry from LEO,
let alone 40,000+km/h return speeds from the Moon. Did you factor in the
mass for that too?

Then there's the structural stresses of re-entry at that kind of speed; did
you factor that into the calculations too? Oh, and not just on the wings
and fuselage either; the entire structure - floors, walls, equipment racks,
seats - everything.

Old September 23rd 08, 05:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
rapoltalk

Well I never said anything about how to return the shuttle my basic
premise of the article to prove it can get there. The shuttle will
uncountably will need modification to get to the moon and back. But
let's say for argument sake that aerobraking may be the answer has
Nasa studied this aspect? If mars exploration craft can use it to get
to Mars safely why not the Shuttle?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...=4011.msg31487

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobraking

http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JSR/1974/PVJAPRE62019.pdf

Looks like even Homer Hickam bought in to the idea of the shuttle
heading to the moon with his book Back to the Moon.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Moon-Nove.../dp/0385334222

Old September 23rd 08, 05:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damien Valentine

On Sep 22, 9:01*pm, rapoltalk wrote:
Well I never said anything about how to return the shuttle my basic
premise of the article to prove it can get there.

Um...yes you did, sir. In your original post.

Old September 23rd 08, 05:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Sep 22, 7:34 pm, rapoltalk wrote:
There was a lot of skeptics out there about my theories about how a
shuttle can be sent to the moon and back. I am still convinced it can
be done. I decided tp do a little more research to prove my point. I
was around during the Apollo days and I remember the burn of the
Saturn 5 to get to a speed of 25000 to get out of Earths Orbit TLI.
CONTINUE

http://changingviews1.blogspot.com

You'll need lots of spare fuel for lots of retro-thrusting.

btw, it would be rather nice to pack along for the ride their shuttle
bay configured radar imaging, with a few upgrades and a low orbit it
could obtain those 3D and better than 1 m/pixel resolution images
that'll absolutely knock socks off.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG