New Falcon 1 now on pad

Old September 21st 08, 07:16 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default New Falcon 1 now on pad

May launch as early a midweek: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
This time for sure? :-)

Pat
Old September 21st 08, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
May launch as early a midweek: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
This time for sure? :-)

Pat

3rd time is.. err 4th time is the charm.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old September 21st 08, 10:31 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

On Sep 21, 2:49*pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

dakotatelephone...

May launch as early a midweek:http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
This time for sure? :-)

Pat

3rd time is.. err 4th time is the charm.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Sure hope that his launch works OK. It would be nice to see the Dragon
spacecraft develop into a safe manned transporter to the ISS, then
NASA can lease them instead of Soyuz rides...
Old September 22nd 08, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

M wrote:
Sure hope that his launch works OK. It would be nice to see the Dragon
spacecraft develop into a safe manned transporter to the ISS, then
NASA can lease them instead of Soyuz rides...

Long way from Falcon 1 flying successfully to Falcon 9 doing the same.

Pat
Old September 22nd 08, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 4:43*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
M wrote:
Sure hope that his launch works OK. It would be nice to see the Dragon
spacecraft develop into a safe manned transporter to the ISS, then
NASA can lease them instead of Soyuz rides...

Long way from Falcon 1 flying successfully to Falcon 9 doing the same.

Pat

About 9x I'd guess,still fingers and legs crossed for Falcon 1 Flt
4.............
Old September 22nd 08, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
May launch as early a midweek: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
This time for sure? :-)

Pat

3rd time is.. err 4th time is the charm.

NOBODY expects the Failed Launch! Our chief launch failure was a
failed nut ...a failed nut and fuel sloshing...fuel sloshing and and a
failed nut .... Our two launch failures were fuel sloshing and and a
failed nut...and residual thrust.... Our *three* launch failures were
fuel sloshing, a failed nut, and residual thrust...and an almost
fanatical devotion to the Design.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our
failed launches.... Amongst our failed launches...are such elements as
fuel sloshing, failed nuts.... I'll come in again.

:-)

rick jones
where do you want to be today?
Old September 22nd 08, 06:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

wrote:
[...]

Well, let's both *hope* and recall the crashes at Canaveral when
people first began firing rockets up from there. Now there are a
lot of experienced hands-on people and a know-how culture. You
only get that the hard way, and I think, I hope, that's where Musk
and SpaceX are now. Those failures *must* be very stimulating
and energizing, ok, that's enough learning. There are going to
be a lot of people walking around all crossed up when that next
launch comes ... My respect for Murphy's Law was always very high
and now it's measurably increased. I'll be one of those hopefully
crossed-up people.

Has anyone heard from Michael Laine recently, who was working on a
space elevator? His Liftport company crashed badly last year.

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Sep 22]

Old September 22nd 08, 07:33 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Martha Adams wrote:
Well, let's both *hope* and recall the crashes at Canaveral when
people first began firing rockets up from there. Now there are a
lot of experienced hands-on people and a know-how culture. You only
get that the hard way, and I think, I hope, that's where Musk and
SpaceX are now. Those failures *must* be very stimulating and
energizing, ok, that's enough learning. There are going to be a lot
of people walking around all crossed up when that next launch comes
... My respect for Murphy's Law was always very high and now it's
measurably increased. I'll be one of those hopefully crossed-up
people.

Agreed. It just seemed like too good a setup to let pass by

rick jones
- Rick Jones
Old September 22nd 08, 09:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Martha Adams wrote:

Well, let's both *hope* and recall the crashes at Canaveral when
people first began firing rockets up from there.

In the immortal words of Virgil "Gus" Grissom who witnessed firsthand
a spectacular Atlas test failure said:

"Do good work."

And yes I know Grissom never rode the Atlas, but I don't think he knew
that would be the case when he made that statement.

Dave
Old September 23rd 08, 08:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:
NOBODY expects the Failed Launch! Our chief launch failure was a
failed nut ...a failed nut and fuel sloshing...fuel sloshing and and a
failed nut .... Our two launch failures were fuel sloshing and and a
failed nut...and residual thrust.... Our *three* launch failures were
fuel sloshing, a failed nut, and residual thrust...and an almost
fanatical devotion to the Design.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our
failed launches.... Amongst our failed launches...are such elements as
fuel sloshing, failed nuts.... I'll come in again.

Five is right out. ;-)

Pat