Daily # 4231

Old November 1st 06, 06:26 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Joe Cooper

Default Daily # 4231

DAILY REPORT # 4231

PERIOD COVERED: UT October 31, 2006 (DOY 304)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC 10556

Neutral Gas at Redshift z=0.5

Damped Lyman-alpha systems {DLAs} are used to track the bulk of the
neutral hydrogen gas in the Universe. Prior to HST UV spectroscopy,
they could only be studied from the ground at redshifts z1.65.
However, HST has now permitted us to discover 41 DLAs at z1.65 in our
previous surveys. Followup studies of these systems are providing a
wealth of information about the evolution of the neutral gas phase
component of the Universe. But one problem is that these 41
low-redshift systems are spread over a wide range of redshifts
spanning nearly 70% of the age of the Universe. Consequently, past
surveys for low-redshift DLAs have not been able to offer very good
precision in any small redshift regime. Here we propose an ACS-HRC-
PR200L spectroscopic survey in the redshift interval z=[0.37, 0.7]
which we estimate will permit us to discover another 41 DLAs. This
will not only allow us to double the number of low-redshift DLAs, but
it will also provide a relatively high-precision regime in the
low-redshift Universe that can be used to anchor evolutionary studies.
Fortunately DLAs have high absorption equivalent width, so
ACS-HRC-PR200L has high-enough resoultion to perform this proposed
MgII-selected DLA survey.

ACS/HRC 10860

The largest Kuiper belt object

The past year has seen an explosion in the discoveries of Pluto-sized
objects in the Kuiper belt. With the discoveries of the
methane-covered 2003 UB313 and 2005 FY9, the multiple satellite system
of 2003 EL61, and the Pluto-Charon analog system of Orcus and its
satellite, it is finally apparent that Pluto is not a unique oddball
at the edge of the solar system, but rather one of a family of
similarly large objects in the Kuiper belt and beyond. HST
observations over the past decade have been critical for understanding
the interior, surface, and atmosphere of Pluto and Charon. We propose
here a comprehensive series of observations designed to similarly
expand our knowledge of these recently discovered Pluto-sized and
near-Pluto-sized Kuiper belt objects. These observations will measure
objects' sizes and densities, explore the outcome of collisions in the
outer solar system, and allow the first ever look at the interior
structure of a Kuiper belt object. Our wide field survey that
discovered all of these objects is nearly finished, so after five
years of continuous searching we are finally almost complete in our
tally of these near-Pluto-sized objects. This large HST request is the
culmination of this half-decade search for new planetary-sized
objects. As has been demonstrated repeatedly by the approximately 100
previous orbits devoted to the study of Pluto, only HST has the
resolution and sensitivity for detailed study of these distant
objects. With these new Pluto-sized objects only now being discovered
we have a limited window left to still use HST for these critical
observations.

ACS/HRC 10878

An ACS Prism Snapshot Survey for z~2 Lyman Limit Systems

We propose to conduct a spectroscopic survey of Lyman limit absorbers
at redshifts 1.7 z 2.2, using ACS/HRC and the PR200L prism. We
have selected 100 quasars at 2.3 z 2.6 from the Sloan Digital Sky
Survey Spectroscopic Quasar sample, for which no BAL signature is
found at the QSO redshift and no strong metal absorption lines are
present at z 2.3 along the lines of sight. The survey has three main
observational goals. First, we will determine the redshift frequency
dN/dz of the LLS over the column density range 16.3 log N_HI 20.3
cm^-2. Second, we will measure the column density frequency
distribution f{N} for the partial Lyman limit systems {PLLS} over the
column density range 16.3 log N_HI 17.5 cm^-2. Third, we will
identify new sightlines for measurements of the primordial D/H ratio.
With this survey, we will also constrain two key quantities of
cosmological relevance: First, the measurements of dN/dz for optically
thick LLS and f{N} for the PLLS are critical to estimating the
attenuation of extragalactic ionizing sources {e.g. QSOs}. Currently,
uncertainties in dN/dz and f{N} are the greatest sources of
uncertainty for inferring the shape and intensity of the UV background
radiation field. Second, we will estimate the amount of metals in the
LLS using the f{N} and ground based observations of metal line
transitions. It is possible that a significant fraction of the
"missing metals" at z~2 are associated with these highly ionized
absorbers. Third, analysis of the LLS lends to investigations of the
interface between galaxies {i.e. the damped Lyman alpha systems} and
the intergalactic medium {i.e. the Lyman alpha forest}. This survey is
ideal for a snapshot observing program, because the on-object
integration times are less than 10 minutes, and the targets cover the
majority of the northern sky.

ACS/WFC 10624

Solving the Mystery of the Short-Hard Gamma-Ray Bursts

Eight years after the afterglow detections that revolutionized studies
of the long-soft gamma-ray bursts, not even one afterglow of a
short-hard GRB has been seen, and the nature of these events has
become one of the most important problems in GRB research. The Swift
satellite, expected to be in full operation throughout Cycle 14, will
report few-arcsecond localizations for short-hard bursts in minutes,
enabling prompt, deep optical afterglow searches for the first time.
Discovery and observation of the first short-hard optical afterglows
will answer most of the critical questions about these events: What
are their distances and energies? Do they occur in distant galaxies,
and if so, in which regions of those galaxies? Are they the result of
collimated or quasi-spherical explosions? In combination with an
extensive rapid-response ground-based campaign, we propose to make the
critical high-sensitivity HST TOO observations that will allow us to
answer these questions. If theorists are correct in attributing the
short-hard bursts to binary neutron star coalescence events, then they
will serve as signposts to the primary targeted source population for
ground-based gravitational-wave detectors, and short-hard burst
studies will have a vital role to play in guiding those observations.

ACS/WFC 10809

The nature of "dry" mergers in the nearby Universe

Recent studies have shown that "dry" mergers of red, bulge-dominated
galaxies at low redshift play an important role in shaping today's
most massive ellipticals. These mergers have been identified in
extremely deep ground-based images of red sequence galaxies at z ~
0.1. The ground-based images reach surface brightness limits of AB ~
29, but lack the resolution to study the morphologies of the galaxies
inside the effective radius. Here we propose to obtain ACS images of a
representative sample of 40 of these red sequence galaxies: 15 ongoing
dry mergers, 15 remnants, and 10 undisturbed objects. We will measure
the isophote shapes and ellipticities of the galaxies, their dust
content, morphological fine structure {shells and ripples}, AGN
content, and their location on the Fundamental Plane. By comparing
galaxies in different stages of the merging process we can constrain
the amount of gas associated with these red mergers, the effect of
active nuclei, and track structural changes. As two galaxies can be
observed in a single orbit 20 orbits are requested to observe the 40
galaxies.

ACS/WFC 10829

Secular Evolution at the End of the Hubble Sequence

The bulgeless disk galaxies at the end of the Hubble Sequence evolve
at a glacial pace relative to their more violent, earlier-type
cousins. The causes of their internal, or secular evolution are
important because secular evolution represents the future fate of all
galaxies in our accelerating Universe and is a key ingredient to
understanding galaxy evolution in lower-density environments at
present. The rate of secular evolution is largely determined by the
stability of the cold ISM against collapse, star formation, and the
buildup of a central bulge. Key diagnostics of the ISM's stability are
the presence of compact molecular clouds and narrow dust lanes.
Surprisingly, edge-on, pure disk galaxies with circular velocities
below 120 km/s do not appear to contain such dust lanes. We propose to
obtain ACS/WFC F606W images of a well-selected sample of extremely
late-type disk galaxies to measure the characteristic scale size of
the cold ISM and determine if they possess the unstable, cold ISM
necessary to drive secular evolution. Our sample has been carefully
constructed to include disk galaxies above and below the critical
circular velocity of 120 km/s where the dust properties of edge-on
disks change so remarkably. We will then use surface brightness
profiles to search for nuclear star clusters and pseudobulges, which
are early indicators that secular evolution is at work, as well as
measure the pitch angle of the dust lanes as a function of radius to
estimate the central mass concentrations.

ACS/WFC/HRC 10920

High-Resolution Imaging of Nearby Lyman Break Galaxy Analogs in the
GALEX All-Sky Survey

We have used the ultraviolet all-sky imaging survey currently being
conducted by the Galaxy Evolution Explorer {GALEX} to identify for the
first time a rare population of low-redshift starbursts with
properties remarkably similar to high-redshift Lyman Break Galaxies.
These compact UV luminous galaxies {UVLGs} resemble Lyman Break
Galaxies in terms of size, UV luminosity, star-formation rate, surface
brightness, mass, metallicity, kinematics, dust content, and color.
They have characteristic ``ages'' {stellar mass/SFR} of only a few
hundred Myr. This population of galaxies is thus worthy of study in
its own right and as a sample of local analogs of Lyman Break
Galaxies. We propose to image a sample of the 9 nearest and brightest
compact UVLGs in the near-ultraviolet, near-infrared, and H-alpha
using ACS. With these images we will 1} characterize their structure
and morphology, 2} look for signs of interactions and mergers, 3}
investigate the distribution and propogation of star formation over
varying time scales, and 4} quantify the stellar populations and star
formation history, in order to determine whether a previous generation
of stars formed long before the current burst. These data will
perfectly complement our existing Spitzer, GALEX, and SDSS data, and
will provide important information on star-formation in the
present-day universe as well as shed light on the earliest major
episodes of star formation in high-redshift galaxies.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC2, ACS/WFC 10802

SHOES-Supernovae, HO, for the Equation of State of Dark energy

The present uncertainty in the value of the Hubble constant {resulting
in an uncertainty in Omega_M} and the paucity of Type Ia supernovae at
redshifts exceeding 1 are now the leading obstacles to determining the
nature of dark energy. We propose a single, integrated set of
observations for Cycle 15 that will provide a 40% improvement in
constraints on dark energy. This program will observe known Cepheids
in six reliable hosts of Type Ia supernovae with NICMOS, reducing the
uncertainty in H_0 by a factor of two because of the smaller
dispersion along the instability strip, the diminished extinction, and
the weaker metallicity dependence in the infrared. In parallel with
ACS, at the same time the NICMOS observations are underway, we will
discover and follow a sample of Type Ia supernovae at z 1. Together,
these measurements, along with prior constraints from WMAP, will
provide a great improvement in HST's ability to distinguish between a
static, cosmological constant and dynamical dark energy. The Hubble
Space Telescope is the only instrument in the world that can make
these IR measurements of Cepheids beyond the Local Group, and it is
the only telescope in the world that can be used to find and follow
supernovae at z 1. Our program exploits both of these unique
capabilities of HST to learn more about one of the greatest mysteries
in science.

WFPC2 10745

WFPC2 CYCLE 14 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 14 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
{both gain 7 and gain 15 -- to test stability of gains and bias
levels}, a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for
possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows. These also
provide raw data for generating annual super-bias reference files for
the calibration pipeline.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)