Daily # 4229

Old October 30th 06, 01:33 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Joe Cooper

Default Daily # 4229

DAILY REPORT # 4229

PERIOD COVERED: UT October 27,28,29, 2006 (DOY 300.301,302)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

[...]

ACS/WFC 11015

The Proper Motion of Supernova Remnant E0509-67.5

We propose to measure independently the proper motion expansions of
the ejecta and forward shock in E0509-67.5. The metal-enriched
reverse-shock-heated ejecta emits only in X-rays, while the forward
shock is traced to high precision by H alpha emission. The proposed
measurements require the unique high resolution imaging capabilities
of Chandra and Hubble. The optical {forward shock} and X-ray {ejecta}
results will yield important constraints on the remnant's evolutionary
state; we will search in particular for evidence of cosmic-ray
modified dynamics. An important component of this project is an
integrated theoretical investigation using realistic models of SN Ia
explosions evolved to the remnant stage.

ACS/WFC 10911

Calibration of ACS F814W Surface Brightness Fluctuations

The surface brightness fluctuations {SBF} method has emerged as the
primary distance indicator for mapping local large-scale structures
{Virgo, Fornax}, as well as the velocity field out to nearly 15,000
km/s {z 0.05}. This is because other precision distance indicators
either lack the requisite depth {Cepheids, TRGB} or are too rare for
adequate sampling {supernovae}, while more traditional methods
{Tully-Fisher, fundamental plane} lack the necessary precision. The
SBF method is now being used with great success in several major ACS
Wide Field Camera programs. However, whereas the band of choice for
the nearby structure studies has been F850LP, for the distant
large-scale flow studies it is F814W because of its much greater
throughput. As a result, the current calibration for the more distant
studies is inadequate. We propose to establish the first systematic
calibration of the SBF method in the important F814W ACS WFC bandpass.
We will do this by measuring SBF in an optimized sample of galaxies in
the nearby compact Fornax cluster. Given the large amount of effort
and HST time being dedicated to F814W SBF measurements, it is
imperative that we correct this outstanding calibration problem while
time remains. For an extremely modest expenditure of orbits, we will
remove a significant systematic error and vastly improve the overall
accuracy of the ongoing ACS F814W SBF work. These data will also
greatly enhance the legacy value of the HST archive for future SBF
studies.

ACS/WFC 10905

The Dynamic State of the Dwarf Galaxy Rich Canes Venatici I Region

With accurate distances, the nearest groups of galaxies can be
resolved in 3 dimensions and the radial component of the motions of
galaxies due to local density perturbations can be distinguished from
cosmological expansion components. Currently, with the ACS, galaxy
distances within 8 Mpc can be measured effectively and efficiently by
detecting the tip of the red giant branch {TRGB}. Of four principal
groups at high galactic latitude in this domain, the Canes Venatici I
Group {a} is the least studied, {b} is the most populated, though
overwhelmingly by dwarf galaxies, and {c} is likely the least
dynamically evolved. It is speculated that galaxies in low mass groups
may fail to retain baryons as effectively as those in high mass
groups, resulting in significantly higher mass-to-light ratios. The
CVn I Group is suspected to lie in the mass regime where the
speculated astrophysical processes that affect baryon retention are
becoming important.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10896

An Efficient ACS Coronagraphic Survey for Debris Disks around Nearby
Stars

We propose to finish our Cycle 11 optical survey for nearby debris
disks using the ACS/HRC coronagraph. Out of 43 orbits originally
proposed for the survey, 23 orbits were allocated, leading to a survey
of 22 stars, from which two new debris disks were imaged for the first
time. Our analysis of the initial survey gives an empirical estimate
for the detection rate of debris disks relative to heliocentric
distance and dust optical depth. Our target list for Cycle 15 is now
optimized to yield more frequent disk detections. Likewise our
observing strategy is improved to maximize sensitivity per telescope
orbit allocated. Therefore we present the most efficient survey
possible. The scientific motivation is to obtain scattered light
images of previously unresolved debris disks to determine their
viewing geometry and physical architecture, both of which may
characterize the underlying planetary system. We choose 25 debris disk
targets for which we predict a detection rate of 25% ? 5%. Four
targets have extrasolar planets from which the viewing geometry
revealed by a disk detection will resolve the v sin{i} ambiguity in
the planet masses. These targets present the remarkable opportunity of
finally seeing a debris disk in system with known planets.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10758

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period May, 31 2006- Oct, 1-2006. The
first half of the program has a different proposal number: 10729.

ACS/HRC 10738

Earth Flats

Sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth with the HRC
and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the accuracy of the
flats currently in the pipeline and to monitor any changes. Weekly
coronagraphic monitoring is required to assess the changing position
of the spots.

ACS/WFC/NIC3 10632

Searching for galaxies at z6.5 in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field

We propose to obtain deep ACS {F606W, F775W, F850LP} imaging in the
area of the original Hubble Ultra Deep Field NICMOS parallel fields
and - through simultaneous parallel observations - deep NICMOS {F110W,
F160W} imaging of the ACS UDF area. Matching the extreme imaging depth
in the optical and near-IR bands will result in seven fields with
sufficiently sensitive multiband data to detect the expected typical
galaxies at z=7 and 8. Presently no such a field exist. Our combined
optical and near-IR ultradeep fields will be in three areas separated
by about 20 comoving Mpc at z=7. This will allow us to give a first
assessment of the degree of cosmic variance. If reionization is a
process extending over a large redshift interval and the luminosity
function doesn't evolve strongly beyond z=6, these data will allow us
to identify of the order of a dozen galaxies at 6.5z8.5 - using the
Lyman break technique - and to place a first constrain on the
luminosity function at z6.5. Conversely, finding fewer objects would
be an indication that the bulk of reionization is done by galaxies at
z=6. By spending 204 orbits of prime HST time we will capitalize on
the investment of 544 prime orbits already made on the Hubble Ultra
Deep Field {UDF}. We have verified that the program as proposed is
scheduable and that it will remain so even if forced to execute in the
2-gyro mode. The data will be non-proprietary and the reduced images
will be made public within 2 months from the completion of the
observations.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

10489 - GSAcq(1,2,1) scheduled at 301/00:46:22 results in finelock backup (1,0,1)
using FGS-1 due to a stop flag (QF2STOPF) on FGS-2. Pre-acquisition
OBADs had (RSS) attitude error corrections values of 4432.82 and 12.88
arcseconds. Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP had 3-axis (RSS) value of 4.93
arcseonds.

10490 - GSAcq (2,1,2) failed due to search radius limit exceeded on FGS
At 303/04:52:46 GSAcq (2,1,2) scheduled for 303/04:49:33-04:57:00 failed
to RGA control due to search radius limit exceeded on FGS 1.
OBAD #1 RSS = 7082.47
OBAD #2 RSS = 8.71
At 303/06:28:51 REAcq (2,1,2) scheduled for 303/06:25:28-06:32:55 failed
to RGA control due to search radius limit exceeded on FGS 1.
OBAD #1 RSS= 3289.39 a-s
OBAD #2 RSS = 17.54 a-s
OBAD MAP RSS = 2585.32 a-s

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)