Daily # 4224

Old October 23rd 06, 05:00 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Joe Cooper

Default Daily # 4224

DAILY REPORT # 4224

PERIOD COVERED: UT October 20,21,22, 2006 (DOY 293,294,295)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC1 11063

NICMOS Focus Monitoring

This program is a version of the standard focus sweep used since cycle
7. It has been modified to go deeper and uses more narrow filters for
improved focus determination. For Cycle14 a new source has been added
in order to accomodate 2-gyro mode: the open cluster NGC1850. The old
target, the open cluster NGC3603, will be used whenever available and
the new target used to fill the periods when NGC3603 is not visible.
Steps: a} Use refined target field positions as determined from cycle
7 calibrations b} Use MULTIACCUM sequences of sufficient dynamic range
to account for defocus c} Do a 17-point focus sweep, +/- 8mm about the
PAM mechanical zeropoint for each cameras 1 and 2, in 1.0mm steps. d}
Use PAM X/Y tilt and OTA offset slew compensations refined from
previous focus monitoring/optical alignment activities

WFPC2 11029

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Intflat Linearity Check and Filter Rotation Anomaly
Monitor

Intflat observations will be taken to provide a linearity check: the
linearity test consists of a series of intflats in F555W, in each gain
and each shutter. A combination of intflats, visflats, and earthflats
will be used to check the repeatability of filter wheel motions.
{Intflat sequences tied to decons, visits 1-18 in prop 10363, have
been moved to the cycle 15 decon proposal xxxx for easier scheduling.}
Note: long-exposure WFPC2 intflats must be scheduled during ACS
anneals to prevent stray light from the WFPC2 lamps from contaminating
long ACS external exposures.

FGS 10989

Astrometric Masses of Extrasolar Planets and Brown Dwarfs

We propose observations with HST/FGS to estimate the astrometric
elements {perturbation orbit semi-major axis and inclination} of
extra-solar planets orbiting six stars. These companions were
originally detected by radial velocity techniques. We have
demonstrated that FGS astrometry of even a short segment of reflex
motion, when combined with extensive radial velocity information, can
yield useful inclination information {McArthur et al. 2004}, allowing
us to determine companion masses. Extrasolar planet masses assist in
two ongoing research frontiers. First, they provide useful boundary
conditions for models of planetary formation and evolution of
planetary systems. Second, knowing that a star in fact has a plantary
mass companion, increases the value of that system to future
extrasolar planet observation missions such as SIM PlanetQuest, TPF,
and GAIA.

NIC3/ACS/WFC 10921

Tangential Velocities of Objects in the Orion Nebula and Locating the
Embedded Outflow Sources.

The Orion Nebula is arguably the Rosetta Stone for studying a very
young star cluster and how the radiation and outflowing plasma from
its stars interact with ambient material. It has been the subject of
numerous HST imaging studies, which means that there is good
opportunity for determining tangential velocities by obtaining second
epoch images during Cycle 15, which may be the last cycle for which
the WFPC2 is available. These velocities in the plane-of-the-sky will
allow us to determine the patterns of outflow from micro-jets smaller
than the Solar System to jet driven shocks more than a parsec from
their sources. Combined with radial velocities, we'll obtain spatial
velocities, which are critical to determining where the embedded
sources are located that produce the numerous HH objects coming from
the Orion-S and BN-KL regions. We'll also be able to determine the
physics that is operating in the LL Ori type of outflows {where a
bipolar jet is being distorted by a slow wind coming from the nebula}.
We will also be able to search for runaway stars caused by the
disintegration of young multiple-star systems. All of this is possible
because the long-time base of the WFPC2 and ACS observations allow a
new level of astrometric precision to be obtained and to be done
efficiently by making coordinated parallel observations with all
images.

WFPC2 10914

HST Observations of Astrophysically Important Visual Binaries

This is a continuation of a project begun in Cycle 7 and continued up
through Cycle 14. The program consists of annual FGS or WFPC2
observations of three visual binary stars that will yield fundamental
astrophysical results, once their orbits and masses are determined.
Our targets are the following: {1} Procyon {P = 40.9 yr}, for which
our first WFPC2 images yielded an extremely accurate angular
separation of the bright F star and its much fainter white-dwarf
companion. Combined with ground-based astrometry of the bright star,
our observation significantly revised downward the derived masses, and
brought Procyon A into much better agreement with theoretical
evolutionary masses for the first time. With the continued monitoring
proposed here, we will obtain masses to an accuracy of better than 1%,
providing a testbed for theories of both Sun-like stars and white
dwarfs. {2} G 107-70, a close double white dwarf {P = 18.5 yr} that
promises to add two accurate masses to the tiny handful of white-dwarf
masses that are directly known from dynamical measurements. {3} Mu Cas
{P = 20.8 yr}, a famous nearby metal-deficient G dwarf for which
accurate masses will lead to the stars' helium contents, with
cosmological implications. For all three stars, we will also be
setting increasingly stringent limits on the presence of
planetary-mass bodies in the systems.

NIC1 10889

The Nature of the Halos and Thick Disks of Spiral Galaxies

We propose to resolve the extra-planar stellar populations of the
thick disks and halos of seven nearby, massive, edge-on galaxies using
ACS, NICMOS, and WFPC2 in parallel. These observations will provide
accurate star counts and color-magnitude diagrams 1.5 magnitudes below
the tip of the Red Giant Branch sampled along the two principal axes
and one intermediate axis of each galaxy. We will measure the
metallicity distribution functions and stellar density profiles from
star counts down to very low average surface brightnesses, equivalent
to ~32 V- mag per square arcsec. These observations will provide the
definitive HST study of extra-planar stellar populations of spiral
galaxies. Our targets cover a range in galaxy mass, luminosity, and
morphology and as function of these galaxy properties we will provide:
- The first systematic study of the radial and isophotal shapes of the
diffuse stellar halos of spiral galaxies - The most detailed
comparative study to date of thick disk morphologies and stellar
populations - A comprehensive analysis of halo and thick disk
metallicity distributions as a function of galaxy type and position
within the galaxy. - A sensitive search for tidal streams - The first
opportunity to directly relate globular cluster systems to their field
stellar population We will use these fossil records of the galaxy
assembly process preserved in the old stellar populations to test halo
and thick disk formation models within the hierarchical galaxy
formation scheme. We will test LambdaCDM predictions on sub-galactic
scales, where it is difficult to test using CMB and galaxy redshift
surveys, and where it faces its most serious difficulties.

ACS/WFC 10816

The Formation History of Andromeda's Extended Metal-Poor Halo

We propose deep ACS imaging in the outer spheroid of the Andromeda
galaxy, in order to measure the star formation history of its true
halo. For the past 20 years, nearly all studies of the Andromeda
"halo" were focused on the spheroid within 30 kpc of the galaxy's
center, a region now known to host significant substructure and
populations with high metallicity and intermediate ages. However, two
groups have recently discovered an extended metal-poor halo beyond 30
kpc; this population is distinct in its surface-brightness profile,
abundance distribution, and kinematics. In earlier cycles, we obtained
deep images of the inner spheroid {11 kpc on the minor axis}, outer
disk {25 kpc on the major axis}, and giant tidal stream, yielding the
complete star formation history in each field. We now propose deep ACS
imaging of 4 fields bracketing this 30 kpc transition point in the
spheroid, so that the inner spheroid and the extended halo populations
can be disentangled, enabling a reconstruction of the star formation
history in the halo. A wide age distribution in the halo, as found in
the inner spheroid, would imply the halo was assembled through ongoing
accretion of satellite galaxies, while a uniformly old population
would be a strong indication that the halo was formed during the early
rapid collapse of the Andromeda proto-galaxy.

ACS/WFC 10803

Detecting the progenitors of core-collapse supernovae

Modern supernova searches in the nearby Universe are discovering large
numbers of SNe which have massive star progenitors {Types II, Ib and
Ic}. The extensive HST image archive within ~20Mpc enables the
indvidual bright stellar content of starforming galaxies to be
resolved. As massive, evolved stars are the most luminous single
objects in a galaxy, the progenitors of core-collapse SNe are often
directly detectable on pre-explosion archive images. We have
discovered three progenitors of recent type II-Plateau SNe, showing
them to be red supergiants of 8-12 solar masses. This is the first
direct evidence that red supergiants do indeed produce normal type II
explosions. We have set upper mass limits on a further 7 progenitor
stars and suggest that faint type II supernovae are unlikely to come
from the collapse of very massive stars which form black holes. These
discoveries are providing strong constraints on theoretical models of
pre-supernova evolution, explosion models and the origin of the
supernova types. We request time to continue this successful project
and require ACS observations of future SNe which are discovered in
galaxies closer than 20Mpc and which have pre-explosion HST archive
images available. This will allow the SNe to be precisely positioned
on the pre-explosion images. We have set a final goal for this project
of determining masses and types, or setting restrictive mass-limits,
for 30 supernovae over the remainder of HST's project life.

ACS/WFC 10766

A Deep X-ray Survey of the Small Magellanic Cloud

We request deep observations of 2 representative fields in the Small
Magellanic Cloud with Chandra and HST,with the primary goal of
measuring the luminosity function and space density of X-ray binaries
and other sources down to an unprecedented faint luminosity limit of
2x10E32 erg/s. This will be the faintest XLF ever obtained for any
galaxy, including our own. HST photometry to 24th magnitude in V and I
filters will identify the sources and provide Fx/Fopt, which will be
vital in quantifying the LMXB population and in measuring the
properties of the first coronally active stars ever detected in an
external galaxy.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10758

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period May, 31 2006- Oct, 1-2006. The
first half of the program has a different proposal number: 10729.

ACS/HRC 10738

Earth Flats

Sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth with the HRC
and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the accuracy of the
flats currently in the pipeline and to monitor any changes. Weekly
coronagraphic monitoring is required to assess the changing position
of the spots.

NIC2 10716

The Unique Cluster Lens SDSS1004+4112

SDSS1004+4112 is a unique example of a cluster lens because of its
relatively high lens redshift {zlens=0.68}, the existence of multiply
imaged quasars for which time delays are measured, the presence of a
significant number of multiply imaged background galaxies, and a
quasar host galaxy that is so magnified that it can be observed in the
mid?IR. By combining a deep 4?channel IRAC image with a NICMOS mosaic
of the central, multiply?imaged region of the cluster, we will study
the quasar host galaxy, search for low?mass substructure in the
cluster, obtain accurate photometric redshifts for lensed arcs,
discover very red lensed arcs and develop an accurate mass model for
the cluster. Then we will combine all the data to obtain a competitive
constraint on the cosmological model.

NIC2 10540

Imaging Nearby Dusty Disks

Images of circumstellar debris disks around young stars display
complex structures that suggest they harbor forming planets. Disks
around stars of nearly the same age and mass show dramatically
different morphologies including rings with brightness asymmetries and
multiple warps. The reasons for this heterogeneity are not understood,
nor given the small sample of imaged disks, can we be sure we have yet
observed all possible outcomes of the planet formation process. Disk
imaging programs have demonstrated that the Hubble Space Telescope is
the only excellent platform for the high-contrast detection of
scattered light disks in the presence of their bright parent stars.
Therefore, we propose a NICMOS imaging survey of the nearest,
youngest, stars to Earth with substantial disks known from infrared
excess emission.

NIC2 10527

Imaging Scattered Light from Debris Disks Discovered by the Spitzer
Space Telescope Around 20 Sun-like Stars

We propose to use the high contrast capability of the NICMOS
coronagraph to image a sample of newly discovered circumstellar disks
associated with sun-like stars. These systems were identified by their
strong thermal infrared emission with the Spitzer Space Telescope as
part of the Spitzer Legacy Science program titled, "The Formation and
Evolution of Planetary Systems {FEPS}." Modelling of the thermal
excess emission in the form of spectral energy distributions alone
cannot distinguish between narrowly confined high opacity disks and
broadly distributed, low opacity disks. However, our proposed NICMOS
observations can, by imaging the light scattered from this material.
Even non- detections will place severe constraints on the disk
geometry, ruling out models with high optical depth. Unlike previous
disk imaging programs, our program contains a well defined sample of
solar mass stars covering a range of ages from ~10Myrs to a few Gyrs,
allowing us to study the evolution of disks from primordial to debris
for the first time. These results will greatly improve our
understanding of debris disks around Sun- like stars at stellar ages
nearly 10x older than any previous investigation. Thus we will have
fit a crucial piece into the puzzle concerning the formation and
evolution of our own solar system.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

10476 - REacq(2,1,1) failed to RGA Control

Upon acquisition of signal at 293/13:54:00, REacq(2,1,1) scheduled at
293/13:38:16 - 13:46:20 was observed to have failed to RGA Hold due to
search radius limit exceeded on FGS-2. Pre-acquisition OBADs had (RSS)
attitude error corrections values of 10.39 and 133.07 arcseconds.
Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP at 293/14:17:00 had (RSS) value of 119.47
arcseconds.

10479 - GSACQ(1,2,1) Fine Lock Backup on FGS 1

GSACQ(1,2,1) at 294/04:18:11 failed to Fine Lock Backup on FGS 1 at
04:22:06 with QF2STOPF on FGS 2.

10482 - GSAcq(1,3,1) failed to RGA Control

Upon acquisition of signal at 295/11:20:31, GSAcq(1,3,1) scheduled at
295/10:48;06 - 10:56:10 was observed to have failed to RGA Hold due to
search radius limit exceeded on FGS-3. Pre-acquisition OBADs (RSS)
attitude error corrections values not available pending future ETR
Dump. Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP had 3-axis (RSS) value of 21.29
arcseconds. Subsequent REacq(1,3,1) at 295/12:16:15 failed to RGA Hold
due to search radius limit exceeded on FGS-3. Pre-acquisition OBADs
had (RSS) values of 1159.58 and 11.34 a-s. Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP
had (RSS) value of 7.33 a-s.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:
17940-0 - Genslew for proposal 10895 - slot 7
17941-0 - Genslew for proposal 10895 - slot 8
17942-0 - Genslew for proposal 10895 - slot 9

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSacq 24 23
FGS REacq 18 16