"Big Rip" has problems with Thermodynamics !

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 8th 03, 11:50 AM
Morenga

Default "Big Rip" has problems with Thermodynamics !

I grew up in Germany where we like for all things to be in their proper
place.
And everything has to play by certain rules eternal.
Thus I learned the laws of Thermodynamics in schools as the "10 commandments"
of
the Universe.

Now one of these laws clearly states that "the sum of all energies in a
closed system
remains constant". With the Universe being the all encompassing ultimate
"closed system",
this leads to one big problem with the current fancy about the "Big Rip".

That story about the ever ongoing acceleration of entire Galaxies, by some
account all
the way up to the speed of light, leads to the question of where all of that
energy for
this acceleration comes from?

Seriously folks. the "Big Rip" theory states that in the end all matter will
be accelerated
to the speed of light, which by itself should make it become infinite in
mass.

Now we all know how much energy it takes to speed up a little rocket booster,
so I have to ask
where all that energy to make entire Galaxies go faster and ever faster is
supposed to come from?

We are talking quadrillions of E here !!!