Load and Go a Go

Old August 21st 18, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Load and Go a Go

I don't think I mention this before, but it looks like NASA has
approved the SpaceX 'load and go' fueling plan for manned vehicles.
All they'll have to do is complete the handful of flights (in 'manned'
configuration, but presumably without people) required to 'man-rate' a
system.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."
Old August 21st 18, 01:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Aug/20/2018 at 8:14 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
I don't think I mention this before, but it looks like NASA has
approved the SpaceX 'load and go' fueling plan for manned vehicles.
All they'll have to do is complete the handful of flights (in 'manned'
configuration, but presumably without people) required to 'man-rate' a
system.

Is it possible for SpaceX to launch satellites or do something useful
(maybe bring cargo to ISS) while in 'manned configuration', but without
people aboard?

Alain Fournier
Old August 21st 18, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Alain Fournier wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2018
20:19:03 -0400:

On Aug/20/2018 at 8:14 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
I don't think I mention this before, but it looks like NASA has
approved the SpaceX 'load and go' fueling plan for manned vehicles.
All they'll have to do is complete the handful of flights (in 'manned'
configuration, but presumably without people) required to 'man-rate' a
system.

Is it possible for SpaceX to launch satellites or do something useful
(maybe bring cargo to ISS) while in 'manned configuration', but without
people aboard?

I assume so. Dragon V2 is supposed to be able to carry cargo rather
than people and I would think just removing seats and such to switch
to a cargo configuration wouldn't invalidate any 'test' flights for
man rating of Falcon 9/Dragon V2 system configuration.

Old August 21st 18, 04:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 8/20/2018 8:14 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
I don't think I mention this before, but it looks like NASA has
approved the SpaceX 'load and go' fueling plan for manned vehicles.
All they'll have to do is complete the handful of flights (in 'manned'
configuration, but presumably without people) required to 'man-rate' a
system.

By 'load and go' I presume you mean loading people before fueling.
This is good news. The SpaceX plan seemed far less risky to me.
The only people around the rocket after fuel and oxidizer are loaded are
the folks in the Dragon V2, capable of getting away in a hurry. No one
else need be near it.

I presume it was the other way round in the older days because the
complexity of the fueling operation of the three-stage Saturn and the
variety of propellants used just made it to unwieldy to put crew aboard
before fueling and awaiting the requisite multiple hours under risk
while all that fueling took place. Let's see we had, LOX, LH2, RP-1(?),
not to mention the slush O2 tanks in the Service Module, and the
hypergolics and the fuel in the LEM. I can understand wanting to
minimize crew time on that stack.

Dave

Old August 21st 18, 10:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

David Spain wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 23:46:42
-0400:

By 'load and go' I presume you mean loading people before fueling.

Yep.

This is good news. The SpaceX plan seemed far less risky to me.

That's the eventual conclusion NASA came to, after investigating the
crap out of structure, ground procedures, etc.