Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

Old October 24th 14, 04:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain[_4_]

Default Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

On Friday, October 24, 2014 5:14:07 AM UTC-4, snidely wrote:
David Spain is guilty of

Guilt by association? ;-)

as of
10/16/2014 9:48:36 AM
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:27:32 PM UTC-4, Rick Jones wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n9dbofr

As usual, Aviation Week includes more technical details than the
"mainstream media".

And it seems they give rather different dimensions than the Reuters
article. Almost looksl ike a meters versus feet thing

The picture of a test chamber with people around suggests that they are
currently at about 6 *foot* by 4 *foot*, a cylinder with conical caps.

I believe however that is a test article called the T4, not a chamber of an actual reactor itself. It is being used to test ion and plasma confinement techniques not actually performing any fusion per say, at least as I read the article.

This group (once funding has been established, natch) wants to proceed in a "generation" per year step, with a working fusion prototype to be available in 5 years from start. However, even then it would not be a practical power generator. That was projected to occur 5 years *after* the working prototype was built or 10 years from today if started today. Actual power generation capacity is not clearly stated however the 100MW figure was mentioned.

(I'm assuming
that tinyurl URL is to the article I think it is, I have a slightly
irrational unwillingness to follow tinyurl-esque links).

Me too.

If it doesn't come with preview in the URL, you can go to tinyurl.com
and turn on preview mode.

Or edit the URL
as in http://preview.tinyurl.com/n9dbofr

Paranoia can be a tool, not just a handicap.

And if I don't trust my tools? I'm convinced my circular saw wants to send me to the ER... ;-)

David
Old November 21st 14, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:00:34 AM UTC+13, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

In article ,
says...
WIth self-replicating machine systems, and robot swarms, we don't need to wait 50 years, and we're not limited to 28x today's industrial level. We can have anything we like TODAY!

No, we can't have "anything we like TODAY!" because you're a nutter who
doesn't understand that your imagination is running away with you. That
is, unless someone, somewhere, has actually figured out how to make a
completely self replicating machine. But I'm guessing you don't have a
cite for that, do you?

Of course he does, Jeff. He probably has plans for just such a thing,
but you have to send him $5 million before he'll talk to you about it.

snicker

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine

Jeff clearly isn't aware of my current financial situation.

http://www.naturalgasasia.com/exxon-...s-in-indonesia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6pBS6uptE
Old December 1st 14, 02:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Opinion: Many Reasons To Be Skeptical Of Skunk Works' Fusion Project:

"There has been a lot of excitement recently about the prospect of producing
power from a cotrolled thermonuclear fusion reaction, including in this magazine
(AW&ST Oct. 20). The online version was headlined "Skunk Works Reveals Compact
Fusion Reactor Details." Unfortunately, fusion as an energy source in the next 50
years is about as likely as Star Trek transporters in the same time frame."

See:

http://aviationweek.com/technology/o...fusion-project