Neil Cavuto on Global Warming/Climate Change ...

Old June 13th 14, 07:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

Default Neil Cavuto on Global Warming/Climate Change ...

I don't know how you feel about this global warming issue.
But I first became a doubter when they re-branded the issue
and started calling it climate change.

It was brilliant on environmentalists' part because it covered any
contingency. Warming, cooling, raining, misting, everything.

After all, climate's always changing, so try arguing that one.

But let's remember how all this started.

With dire predictions of warmer winters and soon, no winters,
and if we didn't do anything about it, no us either.

So forget about whether they were calling it global warming then
or climate change now, we, mankind had to do something about
it, and fast.

But wait a minute. I think I've heard this dire talk before. Not about
the earth warming, about the earth cooling.

Thirty-something years ago it was all the rage. And I should know,
thirty-something years ago today I graduated high school. (do you
really think I'm going to tell you the exact number) Did any of us
look like the world was about to end? I didn't know it. And look
at my mom and dad? Do they look like they knew it?

Thank god Leonard Nimoy knew it, and in this super scary TV
special back in May 1978, Spock wasn't afraid to say it.

"The next Ice Age is on its way and could come sooner than
anyone had expected. At weather stations in the far north
temperatures have been dropping for 30 years. According to
some climatologists, within a lifetime we might be living in the
next Ice Age"

Is it over?

But it wasn't over, and it didn't stop with Spock. I'm telling you
this was the whole 1970s. I lived through it!

And all this time you thought all I had to worry about was
leisure suits.

Try this not so leisurely warning on May 21,1975, from the
New York Times warning about "a major cooling ahead."

Or this time magazine cover from December. 3, 1973 warning
about "The Big Freeze."

And in case anyone missed it, this other Time Magazine cover.
Different picture. Same warning, January 31, 1977.

And just in case anyone missed those, a cozy Christmas cover,
heralding, "The Cooling of America."

Not to be out-done, rival Newsweek on April 28, 1975 detailed
ominous signs of "The Cooling World," including this uplifting
nugget, "If the climatic change is as profound as some of the
pessimists fear, the resulting famines could be catastrophic."

So now I'm freezing and starving!

No Yodels. No Ring Dings. No anything!

Food gone. Freeze on.

Everyone reported it. Nobody questioned it. The entire scientific
community in lockstep with it. And doubters were idiots if they
denied it.

Governments had better get cracking, or humans would be all
but frozen in their evolutionary tracks.

Well? Not quite.

So maybe that's why me and my parents didn't look so panicked
back then.

Maybe that's why you didn't see one strand of my Lego hair out
of place back then.

We weren't oblivious. We were onto this.

But that was then.

We wouldn't be so stupid now.

Or would we?
Old June 13th 14, 08:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Friday, June 13, 2014 11:59:50 AM UTC-7, Hägar wrote:
[...]

Your ZNR approved mother and all twelve of your fathers must be so proud of their redneck son.

Of course, if Yellowstone blows its mega-volcano lid, it'll become nasty enough for the next decade of making summers even hotter and winters even colder.

Once again Greenland will be one of the best locations when GW+AGW+Yellowstone make most everywhere else kinda nasty and spendy.

Old June 13th 14, 10:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

[...]

The Earth (and other planets) goes through cycles of long term climate change. Man is very prideful to think he has anything to do with it.

Double-A

Old June 13th 14, 10:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"Double-A" wrote in message

SNIPPED TO CONSERVE VIRTUAL PAPER

Or would we?

The Earth (and other planets) goes through cycles of long term climate
change. Man is very prideful to think he has anything to do with it.

Double-A

*** You do possess a smidgen of sanity ....
but instead of 'prideful', the word "pompous"
would be much more appropriate.

Old June 13th 14, 10:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hägar

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

snipped to conserve virtual paper

Or would we?

Your ZNR approved mother and all twelve of your fathers must be so proud
of their redneck son.

Of course, if Yellowstone blows its mega-volcano lid, it'll become nasty
enough for the next decade of making summers even hotter and winters
even colder.

Once again Greenland will be one of the best locations when
GW+AGW+Yellowstone make most everywhere else kinda nasty and spendy.

*** And to think that the world's mean I.Q. would
he higher by several digits, had your daddy gotten
the blowjob he wanted in the first place ....

Old June 14th 14, 02:12 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Friday, June 13, 2014 2:18:44 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

Adding 7+ full time and fairly large scale volcanoes for the environment to deal with probably isn't cooling us off.

A constant 144 TW of artificial heat via us humans probably isn't cooling us off.
Old June 14th 14, 11:07 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default A sudden, supper high CO2 spike.

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:53:46 AM UTC-7, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
Â*
Glaciers have been melting, and sea levels
have been rising for thousands of years now,
ever since the last ice age, due to the rise
of atmospheric carbon·dioxide.

Carbon dioxide is still only a trace component in the atmosphere. The atmosphere is only .039% carbon dioxide. It actually was generally on the decline until the start of the industrial revolution.

It's a fact, proven by our best science.
In the geologic timescale, humans have
produced a sudden, supper high CO2 spike.

eXergy is energy that can do work.

Once exergy is consumed, it's gone forever;
i.e. net net, entropy rachets up.

The battle for the exergy prize is between:

· The carbon dioxide breathers ( Algae and Plants ).

· The oxygen breathers ( Fungi and Animals ).

Algae and Plants are siblings.
Fungi and Animals are siblings of a different parent.

Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide won't stop rising unless·and·until
Algae and Plants beat·back Fungi and Animals.

It will happen, it's just a question of when.

Consume the oil/gas now... or later.
Either way, we -will- consume it, it's our fate.
Our only "choice" is: Live Faster or Live Longer.

Science is <the best religion>
because it gives you the most options.
"God" is nature, nothing more, nothing less.

Einstein's way of life is better, I think;
see <The World As I See It>, 1931.

I see that Einstein quotes Schopenhauer, the most depressing of the philosophers.

Double-A

Old June 21st 14, 08:25 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Jeff-Relf.Me

PRE Style='White-Space: PRE !important; Font-Size: 18px !important;Font-Family: monospace !important;'Â*
You ( Double·A ) told me:
I see that Einstein quotes Schopenhauer,
the most depressing of the philosophers.

You can't, or shouldn't,
go with what feels good,
instead of what's real.

If you're good, you can hear the truth,
embrace it even, and keep a level head.

When atmospheric carbon dioxide rises,
as is has been, the earth warms and the sea rises.
The seas have been rising, a lot.