Light inside a black hole?

Old January 5th 07, 10:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default Light inside a black hole?

If you move to the centre of a black hole, where gravitational forces sort
of cancel, can light and normal matter exist in some area there?

Or does the black hole simply get denser when you move towards it center,
as opposed to haveing a center with a dense shell around it (black egg)?

As a follow up question: Is what we see of the universe perhaps the inside of
a black hole?

Sorry, early morning question :-)
Old January 5th 07, 03:31 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...
If you move to the centre of a black hole, where gravitational forces sort
of cancel, can light and normal matter exist in some area there?

Gravitational forces don't cancel because the mass of a
black hole (except for the infalling matter from its
"feeding") is located at a singlularity at the center.
Gravitational acceleration and tidal forces increase
without limit as you approach the center.

Or does the black hole simply get denser when you move towards it center,
as opposed to haveing a center with a dense shell around it (black egg)?

There's no shell. The event horizon is about as substantial
as a property line; it just demarkates the boundary beyond
which there's no escape.

As a follow up question: Is what we see of the universe perhaps the inside of
a black hole?

No, the physics isn't right. Inside the event horizon of
a black hole theory indicates that spacial coordinates
take on a timelike property. That is to say, all
trajectories (paths of particles) lead inexorably towards
the central singularity, much like time inexorably leads to
the future outside of the event horizon. In our space
environment we have freedom to move freely in all directions,
and we don't see any evidence of a single point of
convergence.

Sorry, early morning question :-)

Old January 5th 07, 03:36 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Jan Panteltje:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
If you move to the centre of a black hole, where gravitational
forces sort of cancel,

.... the central singularity ...

can light and normal matter exist in some area there?

"normal matter" requires c-moderated forces to behave like we "outside
the black hole" beings expect. Light propagates "less than 0 distance"
towards an outside observer, since the "0 distance" propagation occurs
at the event horizon. So...

Any object infalling can have non-zero "radial" extension (radial to
external observer). Any object "at rest" to the external observer can
have *at most* indeterminate size, and expected (by anyone that really
studies) to have 0 size.

Or does the black hole simply get denser when you move
towards it center, as opposed to haveing a center with a
dense shell around it (black egg)?

There is nothing we know of that would impress "outer meaning" to the
contents of a BH. What we expect, based on what we know and can model,
is that all contents end up in a singular "point", where "quantum
phenomenon" will have sway.

As a follow up question: Is what we see of the universe
perhaps the inside of a black hole?

I personally expect that the CMBR is a distorted image of the Universe
that contains the BH(s) that open into our Universe. George Dishman
has valiantly tried to dissuade me from my (wacky) opinion. It would
allow complete, fully-developed structures to exist right up to the
CMBR. It has the difficulties:
* having the amount of hydrogen the amount of iron,
* internal GR solutions have information from the past and future of
non-local objects available (assuming *now* for you and the remote
object starts at EH crossing),
* probably more.

Since "coordinate rotation" at the EH is only by 90 deg, then our
container Universe cannot be located at the bottom of our BHs. To
fully reverse handedness, there would need to be four or more (never
was good at more than 3D) Universe's in series, connected via BHs, to
obtain closure. This allows Dark Matter to be "+/- 90 degrees" from
normal matter, and antimatter to be in another Universe "two steps
removed".

Most likely not.

Sorry, early morning question :-)

Have some coffee. Just finished mine. ;)

David A. Smith

Old January 5th 07, 04:12 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:31:03 -0500) it happened "Greg Neill"
wrote in
:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...
If you move to the centre of a black hole, where gravitational forces sort
of cancel, can light and normal matter exist in some area there?

Gravitational forces don't cancel because the mass of a
black hole (except for the infalling matter from its
"feeding") is located at a singlularity at the center.

But why? image for a moment matter falling into a body.
As its mass increases, the escape speed from it will increase.
At some point the escape speed will be greater then C, so light cannot escape,
we no longer see any EM waves coming from it, we call it a black hole
(is this correct?).

There is nothing that says that the thing could not be a bit hollow, its being
black only depends on the escape speed.

(I could imagine somebody compressing an object, to comprss it all the
way to the center may be prevented by the outer layers becoming too strong).

Gravitational acceleration and tidal forces increase
without limit as you approach the center.

Nobody has been or even measured anything there via remote methods.
So that would be a postulate, creating nasty infinities.
Nature does not accommodate infinities :-)

Or does the black hole simply get denser when you move towards it center,
as opposed to haveing a center with a dense shell around it (black egg)?

There's no shell. The event horizon is about as substantial
as a property line; it just demarkates the boundary beyond
which there's no escape.

I agree with that (except for 'evaporation' of particles).

Old January 5th 07, 04:15 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (5 Jan 2007 06:36:47 -0800) it happened "dlzc"
wrote in .com:

Dear Jan Panteltje:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the long explanation and theory.
I am not sure if I understand it, will read it again a couple of times.
I will now get some coffee too:-)
Old January 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Jan Panteltje:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:31:03 -0500) it happened "Greg Neill"
wrote in
:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...
If you move to the centre of a black hole, where
gravitational forces sort of cancel, can light and
normal matter exist in some area there?

Gravitational forces don't cancel because the mass of a
black hole (except for the infalling matter from its
"feeding") is located at a singlularity at the center.

But why? image for a moment matter falling into a body.
As its mass increases,

The mass of infalling matter does not increase. Its "kinetic energy"
comes from the gestalt of the BH, so crossing the EH makes any change
in "system center of mass" problematic.

David A. Smith

Old January 5th 07, 06:03 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (5 Jan 2007 07:45:35 -0800) it happened "dlzc"
wrote in . com:

Dear Jan Panteltje:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:31:03 -0500) it happened "Greg Neill"
wrote in
:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...
If you move to the centre of a black hole, where
gravitational forces sort of cancel, can light and
normal matter exist in some area there?

Gravitational forces don't cancel because the mass of a
black hole (except for the infalling matter from its
"feeding") is located at a singlularity at the center.

But why? image for a moment matter falling into a body.
As its mass increases,

The mass of infalling matter does not increase.

I was trying to say that the mass of the body increaes.

Old January 5th 07, 06:05 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill

[...]

A black hole forms when the pressure due to self-gravitation
of the constituents exceeds the support capability of these
constituents. That is, when the inward pressure exceeds the
electron degeneracy pressure of matter, there is nothing
that can prevent gravity from "winning" and collapsing the
matter to a singularity (nothing, that is, that we currently
know about). There is no known from or state of matter that
can withstand the pressures created by gravity at the extremes
of a black hole.

Gravitational acceleration and tidal forces increase
without limit as you approach the center.

Nobody has been or even measured anything there via remote methods.
So that would be a postulate, creating nasty infinities.
Nature does not accommodate infinities :-)

That, too, is a postulate! Since we haven't been there, we
cannot know. General Relativity, which should hold true until
very close to the purported singularity, indicates that the
end of all matter entering the black hole will be to end at
a singular point at its center.

Or does the black hole simply get denser when you move towards it center,
as opposed to haveing a center with a dense shell around it (black egg)?

There's no shell. The event horizon is about as substantial
as a property line; it just demarkates the boundary beyond
which there's no escape.

I agree with that (except for 'evaporation' of particles).

One could speculate that the same process that generates
the particle pairs for Hawking Radiation might increase
in effect as one approaches the singularity, so that rather
than being devoid of matter between the horizon and singularity,
the mass is spontaneously and continuously being recycled
close to the singularity as particle pairs. So the
space inside could be populated by a continuously annihilating
soup of particles which increases in density towards the
center.

Old January 5th 07, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:05:20 -0500) it happened "Greg Neill"
wrote in
:

Gravitational acceleration and tidal forces increase
without limit as you approach the center.

Nobody has been or even measured anything there via remote methods.
So that would be a postulate, creating nasty infinities.
Nature does not accommodate infinities :-)

That, too, is a postulate! Since we haven't been there, we
cannot know. General Relativity, which should hold true until
very close to the purported singularity, indicates that the
end of all matter entering the black hole will be to end at
a singular point at its center.

I do not know enough about particle physics to argue one way or the other here.
But 'singular point' is purely theory, and if I would bet, then I would bet
that it is of finite size.
If _anything_ in nature was infinite, then there would be no place for us to exist :-)'
A bit philosophical perhaps.

For example, we say the electron is a point charge, but at the same time they
are trying very hard to find out what its size is :-)

Assuming those exist, if you press hard enough and all the quarks become lose,
and a quark-soup, can these occupy zero space? Or even the same space?
If not, then we no longer have a point.
Perhaps long before that new structures form..... structures we do not even
now know about.

But _point_ no, no point :-)

Old January 5th 07, 06:58 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Neill

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...

For example, we say the electron is a point charge, but at the same time they
are trying very hard to find out what its size is :-)

True. All measurements to date are consistent with an electron
radius of zero.

Assuming those exist, if you press hard enough and all the quarks become lose,
and a quark-soup, can these occupy zero space? Or even the same space?
If not, then we no longer have a point.
Perhaps long before that new structures form..... structures we do not even
now know about.

There would needs be new forces that come into play for
any structure to exist that opposes the gravitational
pressure. So far there's no sign of any such thing.

But _point_ no, no point :-)