5 Problems for Concordance Cosmological Model

Old June 11th 10, 05:00 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

Default 5 Problems for Concordance Cosmological Model

On Fri, 11 Jun 10, "Robert L. Oldershaw" wrote:
An international team of astrophysicists has identified "five new
possibly irreconcilable problems" for the Concordance Cosmological
Model having to do with the observed properties of Local Group
galaxies.

It's a well known problem that the Local Group is not like other
galaxy clusters -- we have too few galaxies. The paper you cite is
basically about the effects of having such a low population.

I find a more exciting problem discussed in arxiv.org/abs/1006.1655 ,
"Quasar feedback revealed by giant molecular outflows". It's a well
known model that black holes don't just suck up matter, but also blow
it outwards because of catastrophic effects near the event horizon --
sort of like being an untidy eater. These researchers have directly
measured the molecular outflows from Mark 231 (the nearest quasar) and
find to their consternation that the outflows are far more massive
than expected. They are seeing 2 billion Suns' worth of matter per
year being expelled normally out of the galaxy, 10x higher than the
star forming rate. They conclude (humorously IMO) that all the cold
gas will soon be expelled from the galaxy, thus bringing star
formation to a premature end.

That we do not see such (non-elliptical) galaxies stripped of all
their gas does not seem to prevent the reseachers from arriving at
this conclusion, I would suggest that quasars are more than just
black holes, but can be fountains of such molecular outflows. But I
have no back-of-the-envelope calculation for it.

cheers, Eric Flesch

[Mod. note: I don't think it's 2e9 M_solar/yr! try 2e3 -- mjh]
Old June 11th 10, 11:02 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

On Fri, 11 Jun 10 16:00:01 GMT, Eric Flesch wrote:
They are seeing 2 billion Suns' worth of matter per
year being expelled ...

[Mod. note: I don't think it's 2e9 M_solar/yr! try 2e3 -- mjh]

They say "2000 MSun/year", oops I read that as million suns, but of
course it means mass of the sun. I retract my post. (sheesh)