any way to use Amazon Fire tablet in front of telescope ep?

Old January 16th 17, 07:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David[_17_]

Default any way to use Amazon Fire tablet in front of telescope ep?

A friend just donated an Amazon Fire tablet to the school. This is the
latest, cheapest model ($49 I believe on Amazon). It seems to have a
built in 720p camera. Two questions:

1) Can I use it in front of the ep we use for our ETX-90, that being
Scopetronix 40mm and 14mm eyepieces?

2) What adapter would I need?

3) What sort of image scale could I expect on the screen?

This is the first time I've ever run across such a device (tablet), so
not very familiar with it, but if we can get it going to use as a basic
camera in front of the eyepiece, it would be the most convenient set up
yet.

thanks,
Dave
Old January 16th 17, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:12:38 -0500, David
wrote:

A friend just donated an Amazon Fire tablet to the school. This is the
latest, cheapest model ($49 I believe on Amazon). It seems to have a
built in 720p camera. Two questions:

1) Can I use it in front of the ep we use for our ETX-90, that being
Scopetronix 40mm and 14mm eyepieces?

2) What adapter would I need?

3) What sort of image scale could I expect on the screen?

This is the first time I've ever run across such a device (tablet), so
not very familiar with it, but if we can get it going to use as a basic
camera in front of the eyepiece, it would be the most convenient set up
yet.

There are various eyepiece adapters made for phones. I wouldn't be
surprised if you could find something for a tablet, or do a bit of DIY
modification to a phone adapter.

Although the camera in that tablet is far from ideal for the purpose,
it's likely to produce decent enough results on bright objects like
planets and the Moon. You can probably get a fair idea by just holding
it up to the eyepiece.
Old January 16th 17, 08:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

David wrote:
A friend just donated an Amazon Fire tablet to the school. This is the
latest, cheapest model ($49 I believe on Amazon). It seems to have a
built in 720p camera. Two questions:

1) Can I use it in front of the ep we use for our ETX-90, that being
Scopetronix 40mm and 14mm eyepieces?

2) What adapter would I need?

3) What sort of image scale could I expect on the screen?

This is the first time I've ever run across such a device (tablet), so
not very familiar with it, but if we can get it going to use as a basic
camera in front of the eyepiece, it would be the most convenient set up
yet.

thanks,
Dave

I have a "toy" telescope (Skywatcher infinity 76" which I thought would be
interesting to my grandchildren.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...JtuC-IIMsAM%3A

It will show the moon and the moons of Jupiter but it has no finder. I use
a tablet PC with a planetarium program as a finder by putting the tablet
against the front of the telescope and centring the target on the screen. I
admit this is using a £400 item as a finder for a £35 scope but just about
everyone has a tablet or smartphone anyway.
For photography you could probably make something like this:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/origi...1599897670.jpg
Old January 22nd 17, 12:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 2:44:25 PM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:

I have a "toy" telescope (Skywatcher infinity 76" which I thought would be
interesting to my grandchildren.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...JtuC-IIMsAM%3A

The blurbs on this scope indicate that it has a parabolized primary. Can you verify? Does the secondary give full illumination?
Old January 17th 17, 01:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 16 January 2017 13:12:41 UTC-5, David wrote:
A friend just donated an Amazon Fire tablet to the school. This is the
latest, cheapest model ($49 I believe on Amazon). It seems to have a
built in 720p camera. Two questions:

1) Can I use it in front of the ep we use for our ETX-90, that being
Scopetronix 40mm and 14mm eyepieces?

2) What adapter would I need?

3) What sort of image scale could I expect on the screen?

This is the first time I've ever run across such a device (tablet), so
not very familiar with it, but if we can get it going to use as a basic
camera in front of the eyepiece, it would be the most convenient set up
yet.

thanks,
Dave

Very cumbersome method. Why not just let people look through the eyepiece unless you plan on taking videos which except for the Moon would be a wasted exercise with an ETX 90?
Old January 17th 17, 08:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 01:36:27 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
[...]

Group enjoyment instead of standing in a queue?
Old January 18th 17, 07:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 02:21:16 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Easiest solution. Large scale image and plugs right into a tablet, laptop, etc.
Might need a usb to mini-usb conversion cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2MP-Tele...UAAOSwzaJX4k-n

Old January 18th 17, 04:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 22:44:04 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Easiest solution. Large scale image and plugs right into a tablet, laptop, etc.
Might need a usb to mini-usb conversion cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2MP-Tele...UAAOSwzaJX4k-n

There are a great many solutions that are better than using a tablet.
But the question was prompted by the fact that there's a tablet in
hand, with no need buy something else.

Certainly, if purchasing a mount of some kind for the tablet ends up
costing more than a simple device like the one you link, that's
something to seriously consider. But if a bracket can be put together
for free, or a couple of bucks worth of hardware, trying that makes
perfect sense.
Old January 18th 17, 05:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wrote:

Easiest solution. Large scale image and plugs right into a tablet, laptop, etc.
Might need a usb to mini-usb conversion cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2MP-Tele...UAAOSwzaJX4k-n

There are a great many solutions that are better than using a tablet.
But the question was prompted by the fact that there's a tablet in
hand, with no need buy something else.

Certainly, if purchasing a mount of some kind for the tablet ends up
costing more than a simple device like the one you link, that's
something to seriously consider. But if a bracket can be put together
for free, or a couple of bucks worth of hardware, trying that makes
perfect sense.

The tablet adapters I have seen are rather pricey.

Fixing the HD on the laptop might be worthwhile assuming that he can somehow restore the original OS and software for the Toucam.

Old January 22nd 17, 12:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 2:21:16 AM UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Or they can just look at lunar images on their cell phones while waiting in line?

Amazon rocks. Double-A[_4_] Misc 3 October 28th 14 12:08 AM
Al-Lawh wa-l-Qalam: The Tablet and The Pen Warhol Misc 12 June 17th 06 03:01 AM
Astro art: Earth as seen from Mars with powerful telescope, Moon in front astrobob Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 06 08:55 AM
Bray Tablet Mount BigBob UK Astronomy 1 October 23rd 05 05:45 PM
Arizona fire threatens Large Binocular Telescope Vic Amateur Astronomy 8 July 6th 04 12:41 AM