Fastest star leaving our galaxy was blasted out by a supernova

Old March 10th 15, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Fastest star leaving our galaxy was blasted out by a supernova

Fastest star leaving our galaxy was blasted out by a supernova
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...y-a-supernova/

Most of the stars in our galaxy perform an orderly orbit around the
galactic core. But, in recent years, researchers have discovered a
class of stars that are moving remarkably quickly, in many cases fast
enough to have achieved escape velocity—they'll eventually leave the
Milky Way for intergalactic space.

What can account for a star moving at nearly 1,000 kilometers a
second? One model involves our galaxy's supermassive black hole. When
a binary star system gets drawn close to it, orbital interactions can
leave one member of the binary orbiting the black hole, while
slingshotting the other out of the system at high velocities. Several
of the hypervelocity stars can have their paths traced back to the
galactic core, providing support for this model.

But apparently not all. Researchers have revisited a hypervelocity
star called US 708 and found that it's both the fastest moving star
we've seen in our galaxy and that it didn't originate in the galactic
core. Instead, the properties of the star suggest that it was blasted
to its current speed by what's called a double-detonation supernova.

US 708 was first recognized as a hypervelocity star back in 2005.
It's part of an unusual class of stars called hot subdwarfs. These
are the helium-burning former cores of red giants, left over after
all the hydrogen has been stripped off. The process of stripping them
leaves them low mass (about half the mass of the Sun) and spins them
up to high rotational speeds.

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated to the discussion
of physics, news from the physics community, and physics-related

Old March 10th 15, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 3:39:16 PM UTC, Sam Wormley wrote:
Fastest star leaving our galaxy was blasted out by a supernova
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...y-a-supernova/

This is truly desperate pseudo-science which is obscuring productive research.

https://www.nav.no/no/NAV+og+samfunn...i+folketrygden

It is truly amazing that the solar system's galactic orbital motion is ignored when looking at variable orbital speeds of planets as they move part of their orbits with the Sun in our galactic orbital motion and part of their orbits moving in the opposite direction. It is though like magnetic deflection as a large scale analogy but this is what is supposed to occupy empiricists as I rarely stray into this area of research.

Old March 10th 15, 07:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:23:54 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

It is truly amazing that the solar system's galactic orbital motion is ignored when looking at variable orbital speeds of planets as they move part of their orbits with the Sun in our galactic orbital motion and part of their orbits moving in the opposite direction.

Boy, has your 'intuitive intelligence' failed you once again. The Sun, along with its planets and other orbiting bodies, travel at an average speed of 828,000 km/h (230 km/s) within its trajectory around the galactic center....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_year

.... whereas the fastest planet, Mercury, has an average orbital speed of only
47.362 km/s, with virtually everything else in the solar system moving somewhat slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(planet)

In other words, with respect to the galactic center, Mercury moves 17,000 times faster than it moves with respect to the Sun... not even worth talking about!

The solar system's galactic orbital motion is mostly ignored for good reason...
Old March 10th 15, 07:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:23:54 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

It is truly amazing that the solar system's galactic orbital motion is ignored when looking at variable orbital speeds of planets as they move part of their orbits with the Sun in our galactic orbital motion and part of their orbits moving in the opposite direction.

Boy, has your 'intuitive intelligence' failed you once again. The Sun, along with its planets and other orbiting bodies, travel at an average speed of 828,000 km/h (230 km/s) within its trajectory around the galactic center....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_year

.... whereas the fastest planet, Mercury, has an average orbital speed of only
47.362 km/s, with virtually everything else in the solar system moving somewhat slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(planet)

In other words, with respect to the galactic center, Mercury moves almost 5 times faster than it moves with respect to the Sun... so it never moves backwards wrt the galactic center!

The solar system's galactic orbital motion is mostly ignored for good reason...
Old March 10th 15, 08:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 7:56:04 PM UTC, palsing wrote:
[...]

The Sun moves constantly in one direction through space.

The planets orbit the Sun hence they spend part of their orbits moving with the Sun in our galactic orbital motion and partly in the opposite direction.
Old March 10th 15, 09:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

oriel36 wrote:
[...]

Of course you lot have all the stars wrapped up in a celestial sphere
extend out from the Earth's rotation within the calendar framework hence
all the academic pseudo-science

The solar system's galactic orbital motion is mostly ignored for good reason...

You truly unfortunate people can't even handle the daily rotation of the
planet , the fixed reference of the central Sun and the number of
rotations to an orbital circuit -

" During one orbit around the Sun, Earth rotates about its own axis
366.26 times " Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

The pure and utter misery of thugs with no sense of wrong nor know when to stop.

No the planets move in a helix (roughly)

http://calgary.rasc.ca/howfast.htm

From the link above.

Can we add the Earth's orbital speed to the Sun's Galactic speed to get a
total?
Not really - relative to the plane of the Milky Way Galaxy, the Earth and
other planets orbit the Sun kind of "up and down", in other words the Solar
System is tipped on its side as the Sun goes around the Galaxy so the
speeds don't really add or subtract - they are almost at right angles to
one another
Old March 10th 15, 09:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 3/10/15 3:30 PM, oriel36 wrote:
The Sun moves constantly in one direction through space.

Direction and speed are both observer dependent -- no absolute
velocity.

Old March 10th 15, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 9:01:45 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
[...]

From the link above.

Can we add the Earth's orbital speed to the Sun's Galactic speed to get a
total?
Not really - relative to the plane of the Milky Way Galaxy, the Earth and
other planets orbit the Sun kind of "up and down", in other words the Solar
System is tipped on its side as the Sun goes around the Galaxy so the
speeds don't really add or subtract - they are almost at right angles to
one another

Up and down indeed !, because you celestial sphere thugs can't say which planets are above us in the galactic plane, which are below us, which are moving ahead of us around the galactic axis and stars that are following behind.

You can't even handle the annual motion of the stars behind the Sun as the Earth moves through space minus stellar circumpolar motion which defines the orbital plane of the Earth around the Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFrE7hWj0A

Just lazy academics making up stories because they are not good enough to see the possibilities of working the solar system's direction in space into planetary orbital dynamics and the strong hint of electromagnetic influences.

That is what you get when you try to equate the fall of an apple with the motions of planets, a worthless overreaching notion where you can't deal with the bigger picture I see.

Have a good look at the YouTube demonstration -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkoEz-4RN1Q

Old March 10th 15, 09:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 9:21:13 PM UTC, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 3/10/15 3:30 PM, oriel36 wrote:
The Sun moves constantly in one direction through space.

Direction and speed are both observer dependent -- no absolute
velocity.

Relics of the early 20th century where they understood nothing of Newton's absolute/relative scheme yet you and the rest can now. Newton wasn't defining 'time' - he was botching the timekeeping facility which renders variations in the natural noon cycle into the 24 hour average -

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions.The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Newton

I have helped some people grow out of the jargon fest of the early 20th century guys and maybe even shown Newton's disruptive scheme but what they haven't done yet is see the possibilities of doing things right for a change.

There are compound motions involved that do not involve daily rotation - the Sun's motion through space and the planets motions around the Sun. The more power influence is that the solar system is corralled as all the other stars are into galactic motion so it is no longer possible to use analogies of the behavior of objects at a human level to consider this motion.
Old March 10th 15, 10:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

oriel36 wrote:
[...]

From the link above.

[...]

That should be which 'stars' are above us in the galactic plane , below us and so on.