ASTRO: Full Moon Shots from the weekend

Old September 8th 09, 04:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Full Moon Shots from the weekend

all eline to avoid the moon issues.

first light: ML8300 camera with AP155EDF f/7

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...2hao3_page.htm

ML4022: with AP180EDT f/9

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m27...iumII_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m42...2hao3_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/sh2...2hao3_page.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m27_ap180edt_f9_ml4022_cs_haO3HeliumII_5H45M_vga.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2605  Click image for larger version

Name:	m42_ap180edt_f9_m4022_90min_s2hao3_vga.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2606  Click image for larger version

Name:	ic1396_ap155edf_f7_ml8300_flis2hao3_47x15min_vga.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	2607  Click image for larger version

Name:	sh2_101_ap180edt_f9_ml4022_13hours_vga.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2608
Old September 8th 09, 06:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
all eline to avoid the moon issues.

first light: ML8300 camera with AP155EDF f/7

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...2hao3_page.htm

ML4022: with AP180EDT f/9

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m27...iumII_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m42...2hao3_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/sh2...2hao3_page.htm

You are keeping FLI in business with all those new cameras. I keep
hearing folks saying how awful the 8300 chip is with such a low well
depth yet all the photos seem to say otherwise. Small pixels would seem
to be more difficult to achieve with a deep well capacity. In any case
it doesn't seem to be the problem all are making it out to be. Few deep
sky objects would ever reach that capacity anyway even in very long
subs. Though no where near the sensitivity of your NABG chips.

You are imaging up a storm but please no M42 shots, It isn't winter yet!
We never got any summer so far. Never turned on the air conditioner
but have used the heat pump many days for heat. My wife's tomatoes are
still very green yet. Lost some to frost the other night. Don't know
if she'll get any or not this year.

Full moon here but very smoky skies thanks to to southern Cal fires.
Last night best I could see was 2nd magnitude through the smoke and
moonlight. Not bothering you?

Rick
Old September 9th 09, 02:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
Richard Crisp wrote:
all eline to avoid the moon issues.

first light: ML8300 camera with AP155EDF f/7

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ic1...2hao3_page.htm

ML4022: with AP180EDT f/9

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m27...iumII_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/m42...2hao3_page.htm

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/sh2...2hao3_page.htm

You are keeping FLI in business with all those new cameras. I keep

Well I will have to admit that they sent me the ML8300 at my request to
test. Maybe I can hang on to it for a couple of months. I didn't get much
time with the PL16803, now THAT was a Man's Camera!!!

hearing folks saying how awful the 8300 chip is with such a low well depth
yet all the photos seem to say otherwise. Small pixels would seem to be
more difficult to achieve with a deep well capacity. In any case it
doesn't seem to be the problem all are making it out to be. Few deep sky
objects would ever reach that capacity anyway even in very long subs.
Though no where near the sensitivity of your NABG chips.

the peak QE of the KAF8300 is still well into the 40s.... It isn't bad at
all. And other than stars, nothing is going to fill up the wells, especially
with narrowband. The KAF39000C was below 20% across the board. The
Monochrome KAF39000 is about 2x the color version though

You are imaging up a storm but please no M42 shots, It isn't winter yet!

Hey I needed something to do between 3am and sunrise Rick. It was either
start a multi day Crab shot or do M42: something that could be completed in
a single session....

We never got any summer so far. Never turned on the air conditioner

We had some really hot weather this summer but not as much as the year
before.

but have used the heat pump many days for heat. My wife's tomatoes are
still very green yet. Lost some to frost the other night. Don't know if
she'll get any or not this year.

Full moon here but very smoky skies thanks to to southern Cal fires. Last
night best I could see was 2nd magnitude through the smoke and moonlight.
Not bothering you?

Well I smell smoke each morning about 4-5:30am but then it goes away. Never
see any but can smell a bit....

Been lucky so far on the fires overall this year. Last summer I could barely
see Vega one night despite the cloudless skies.... redder than Arcturus

Old September 8th 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great series Richard. Operating two scopes at the same time sure helps to
get the exposure times you have here.
As I am faintly considering to buy a camera with the Kodak 8300 chip I would
be interested to hear your opinion on it. Does it produce "noisier" images
than the 4022 chip? I saw a post by Terry Platt in the SXpress Yahoo group
where he said that he tested the 8300 chip and thought it's cosmetic specs
were not good enough compared to the 4022 chip. I shy away from the 4022
chip because it has such a low sensitivity in Halpha.

Stefan

m...

Old September 9th 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
Great series Richard. Operating two scopes at the same time sure helps to
get the exposure times you have here.
As I am faintly considering to buy a camera with the Kodak 8300 chip I
would be interested to hear your opinion on it. Does it produce "noisier"
images than the 4022 chip? I saw a post by Terry Platt in the SXpress
Yahoo group

not that I have seen Stefan. I measured the read noise to be less than 8 e-.
Considering that is for a 12MHz download that is darn good. It may be lower
than the competition and they most likely are running 1 or 2 MHz. This guy
is downloaded very fast.

I was expecting that Eline image of the IC1396 area to be noisier than it
was. It was pretty clean: I only did my usual SGBNR very light noise
treatment: nothing out of the ordinary.

The KAI4022 has some nice properties: the electronic shutter makes taking
flats easy.... but it has low Ha sensitivity just like the old STL11000's
KAI11002

The KAF8300 is a full frame and antiblooming but it seems sensitive enough
and works well with the tiny pixels. I got a decent image scale with the
AP155EDF f/7 and really enjoyed using it. I want to try it on the '180EDT
f/9 but so far I have the ML4022 stuck on it due to incompleted projects. I
want to shoot an unfiltered shot of NGC7331 with it and see how it looks
from the AP180EDT f/9 so I may make the change this weekend.

where he said that he tested the 8300 chip and thought it's cosmetic specs
were not good enough compared to the 4022 chip. I shy away from the 4022
chip because it has such a low sensitivity in Halpha.

If you ask me, I think Terry's excuse is a convenient one to prevent him
from having to deal with a mechanical shutter. Don't all his cameras use
interline chips with electronic shutters? Has he ever built one with a
mechanical shutter?

Old September 9th 09, 09:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

If you ask me, I think Terry's excuse is a convenient one to prevent him
from having to deal with a mechanical shutter. Don't all his cameras use
interline chips with electronic shutters? Has he ever built one with a
mechanical shutter?

Richard, you may be right here. SXpress do not have any cameras with a
shutter. Actually I like going without a shutter, one less part that can
fail.
Thanks for your answer.

Stefan

Old September 10th 09, 12:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
If you ask me, I think Terry's excuse is a convenient one to prevent him
from having to deal with a mechanical shutter. Don't all his cameras use
interline chips with electronic shutters? Has he ever built one with a
mechanical shutter?

Richard, you may be right here. SXpress do not have any cameras with a
shutter. Actually I like going without a shutter, one less part that can
fail.
Thanks for your answer.

the nice thing about interline sensors is the ability to take arbitrarily
short flats....

I do that with the ML4022: take 50 ms flats sometime: no shutter shading!

Stefan