General Cosmology: universal expansion as an illusion of changing spatial curvature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 2nd 19, 11:15 PM posted to sci.astro
Eric Flesch

Default General Cosmology: universal expansion as an illusion of changing spatial curvature

The text below is copied from my website http://quasars.org. Just as
Special Relativity was generalized into General Relativity, so I've
tried to generalize the Standard Cosmological Model into a General
Cosmological Model which uses the full range of mathematically valid
spatial curvatures. The below model seems viable. Eric Flesch

--------------------------------------

Is our Standard Cosmological Model "fit for purpose"? An engineer
wouldn't think so, because there are three pieces of non-scientific
magic built into it, being inflation. dark matter, and dark energy.
These 3 are placeholders, quantifications of what we don't know, the
gaps between the standard model and what is actually observed. That
"dark matter" is so often elaborated as a form of matter, just shows
the social power of a word. If instead the term was e.g.,
"gravitational scalar", then a more eclectic set of explanations would
be presented. Same story with "dark energy", so the terms "dark
matter" and "dark energy" are unfortunate. As for "inflation", it's a
magic wand for transitioning the universe from its initial singularity
to a larger universe that can be calculated and modelled. Well, magic
will hold up neither bridges nor universes.

Is today's cosmology run by a "new generation of flat Earthers"?
People have grown so used to the Big Bang interpretation of the
Universe, that they have grown inured to a sense of absurdity at the
scenario of things flying apart at high speed. My own view is that a
more general theory will remove the need for physical expansion. The
current Standard model is underpinned by the "flat universe", a
spatial manifold of zero curvature with local perturbations. Guth's
"inflation" theory provides a mechanism whereby a flat universe was
attained as the result of an unknown causal process in the Universe's
earliest moments. Today's cosmologists use this flat manifold in all
their cosmological calculations including matter ratios, missing
(dark) matter, and so-called accelerating expansion due to "dark
energy". Thus, *the flat universe is a crucial and indispensible
platform for the Standard Cosmological Model*.

So, to generalize the Standard Cosmological Model in a similar way as
relativity was generalized, we start by designating it as the "Special
Cosmological Model" -- special in that it requires a flat universal
manifold. We now generalize this into a "General Cosmological Model"
by incorporating non-flat geometries which is found to be a
surprisingly simple change, as follows.

First, a quick simple description of the geometries. In a flat (i.e.,
curvature=0) 3D manifold, a sphere has a surface area of 4pR˛. A 3D
manifold with curvature0 is called spherical and in it a sphere has a
lesser surface area, similarly curvature0 is called hyperbolic in
which a sphere has a greater surface area. These "non-Euclidean"
geometries are known to be mathematically complete and internally
consistent just as flat space is.

Note that these geometries seamlessly transition from one to the other
as curvature changes. Flat space of curvature=0 is but a single point
on the curvature range, just as, with time, the present is only a
single point on the past-present-future time range. These two
paradigms look the same and may indeed be the same paradigm -- given
that "spacetime" unifies 3D space with time. As we perceive time as a
forward flow akin to migration across past/future, so it is indicated
that spatial curvature may also be migrating from (say) hyperbolic to
spherical, with "flat" space simply being the current state -- not
because of any huge coincidence, but because we natively see the
current curvature as flat regardless of wherever on the curvature
scale it happens to be -- just as we see the current time moment as
the "present" even though it is always migrating.

This notion that our space is flat simply because we see the current
curvature as flat opens up interesting consequences:

(1) The value of lightspeed (c) varies with spatial curvature.
Hyperbolic space would look to us as the same as "flat", but if you
travel in it you will find that your destination is closer -- this is
because the "shells of space" contain larger volumes. As distances
are less, lightspeed would cover more distance, thus is faster in
terms of distance. Thus lightspeed is a simple scalar measure of the
background spatial curvature. Lightspeed would be invariate by some
other as-yet-unmodelled measure.

(2) As we look into deep space we are unknowingly looking into a
universe of greater spatial curvature, thus our luminosity functions
lose accuracy. It is like the whole universe is lensed darkly, moreso
the farther you observe. This accounts for what is currently
interpreted as "dark energy".

(3) This extrapolates to the first moment of the universe which then
would have been almost infinitely hyperbolic with every place
contiguous to all others, allowing instantaneous action over the
whole, a.k.a. "inflation". Since then, spatial curvature would decay
with time via the standard exponential decay function C(t) =
C(0)*e^(-kt) where k~Hubble time.

This model thus appears to replicate inflation & dark energy, and
provides a mechanism for the redshift by virtue of the slowing
lightspeed over the ćons. What we know as "universal expansion" is
just a naďve interpretation of the migrating spatial curvature. CMB
reverberations are thus far not accounted for, but its absence doesn't
make this TOE wrong, just incomplete. :-)

The possibility that lightspeed is decreasing with universal time puts
a crimp into the modern technique of defining the length of the metre
(meter) in terms of light cycles. Inflation will be seen to happen as
our metre grows smaller causing old objects to measure as bigger (and
heavier in metric terms), whether old standard kilograms or dinosaur
bones. Issues remain but the simplicity of this General Cosmological
Model appeals.