ASTRO: Jupiter

Old March 7th 15, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Jupiter

I did my yearly shot of Jupiter in February. Imaging planets is better for
city dwellers anyway ;-) Especially if the sky always has bad transparency.
The pictures without the great red spot are from February 12, the pictures
with the GRS are from February 14.
The smaller picture with the GRS was taken with my Skywatcher Esprit 150ED
APO and the larger one with my 10" Meade ACF. Of course aperture wins.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JupMitBarlow.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	5561  Click image for larger version

Name:	JupiterE150doubleD-RRGBhigh.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5562  Click image for larger version

Name:	JupiterACF0004-150%.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	5563
Old March 8th 15, 07:27 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

What camera did you use? My 11K is way to slow for Jupiter. By the time I have enough frames downloaded its rotated too far. The way I'm set up I can't add a barlow to get much image scale. I'm stuck at my native 0.5" per pixel. Doesn't help my seeing of late has hit 6". Even with no moon I couldn't do anything at that seeing! I took some color data earlier this year at 4" and since red was worse than blue or green I had ref flares sticking out around the stars. The other night the temp dropped 22C in less than 2 hours. Seeing blows up with that happens. We went from -10 to -32 in 1:50.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post

Old March 8th 15, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

What camera did you use? My 11K is way to slow for Jupiter. By the time
I have enough frames downloaded its rotated too far. The way I'm set up
I can't add a barlow to get much image scale. I'm stuck at my native
0.5" per pixel. Doesn't help my seeing of late has hit 6". Even with no
moon I couldn't do anything at that seeing! I took some color data
earlier this year at 4" and since red was worse than blue or green I had
ref flares sticking out around the stars. The other night the temp
dropped 22C in less than 2 hours. Seeing blows up with that happens. We
went from -10 to -32 in 1:50.

Rick

I used an iNova PLA-MX310 camera, which is an ICX618 based camera that
allows for 60fps on my laptop computer. Could go faster if I had a SSD drive
in the laptop. Short exposures (and a lot of them) have given me much
sharper images than in the old times with a webcam that was doing 15fps.

Stefan