chi Cyg still 'brightest object' in Cygnus..

Old August 18th 06, 06:06 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk
Default chi Cyg still 'brightest object' in Cygnus..

..in IR light. My shot for Wed Aug 15 with unfiltered 20s exp for comparison at

http://www.cloudynights.com/photopos...rv060815_3.jpg

Nytecam 51N 0.1W
Old August 19th 06, 05:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RT[_1_]

have you any idea where a recent spectrum of this object is (on the
net)?
Been looking but can find nothing so far - ?????
tia

nytecam wrote:

.in IR light. My shot for Wed Aug 15 with unfiltered 20s exp for
comparison at

http://tinyurl.com/nf2ay

Nytecam 51N 0.1W

--
nytecam

Old August 19th 06, 02:13 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT
have you any idea where a recent spectrum of this object is (on the
net)? Been looking but can find nothing so far - ????? tia
Mine's at http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/irstel.htm ...and scroll down

Nytecam 51N 0.1W
Old August 19th 06, 07:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
robin_astro

nytecam wrote:
RT Wrote:
have you any idea where a recent spectrum of this object is (on the
net)? Been looking but can find nothing so far - ????? tia

Mine's at http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/irstel.htm ...and scroll
down

And there is another from 2nd August on the Star Analyser group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/staranalyser
Not mine though - The laptop has eventually come back from repair and
now the weather is lousy :-(

Once correction is made for the CCD response, the increase in IR output
must be enormous!

Robin
www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.uk/astro.htm

Old August 20th 06, 05:13 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_astro

And there is another from 2nd August on the Star Analyser group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/staranalyser
Not mine though - The laptop has eventually come back from repair and
now the weather is lousy :-( Once correction is made for the CCD response, the increase in IR output must be enormous! Robin
Glad the laptop's resolved! Nice profile Robin - presumably by Brendon of Basingstoke? I agree the IR signal must be massive but this star is not exceptional for IR currently. My R Cnc at http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/gensp27.htm and omicron Cet at http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/gensp26.htm are perhaps the most IR stars I've recorded with little radiation less than 620nm !

As a matter of interest how do you correct/calibrate for a part of the spectrum that the CCD doesn't detect eg far IR?

Nytecam 51N 0.1W

Last edited by nytecam : August 20th 06 at 05:17 PM.
Old August 21st 06, 02:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
robin_astro

nytecam wrote:

As a matter of interest how do you correct/calibrate for a part of the
spectrum that the CCD doesn't detect eg far IR?

Well I suppose you could get a rough idea by fitting the part of the
spectrum you have to a black body curve. The output of a cool m9 star
at say 2000 degK would keep climbing in the IR up to around 1.5 microns
- beyond the range of most CCDs

Robin

Old August 24th 06, 02:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"nytecam" wrote

.in IR light. My shot for Wed Aug 15 with unfiltered 20s exp for
comparison at

http://tinyurl.com/nf2ay

Very interesting image!!

I did some DSLR wide-field images of the Cyg area two weeks ago. I've not
processed the images yet, but now I'll have to. Unfortunately I did jpg
rather than raw exposures.

George N