!st human supersonics

Old November 11th 03, 12:17 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default !st human supersonics

(Ken S. Tucker) :

I was asked awhile ago if supersonic or hypersonic catapults
were possible, to economically test modeled aircraft.
When I researched supersonic speeds created by humans
I found that the tip of a bull-whip was the first time humans
were able to consistently *break the sound barrier*.
Is this a myth? ie. Is it true that a *bull-whip's* tip breaks
the sound barrier at the tip?

I am pretty sure that is true, but ofcourse I could be wrong

I figure if this is true, then an improved mechanical system
could accelerate models to supersonic and hypersonic speeds
with an improved mechanical system.

Already thought on that, it will not be easy to design, plus the tip of a
whip does not mass much, you need to put as much engry into the system as is
needed to move the model that fast.

Thanx
For Conception Dynamics
Ken S. Tucker

PS: I'd respond to some of the threads in this NG,
except everybody is smarter than me.

Not true, if you realize that there are people existing who are smarter than
yourself, then automaticlly you are smarter than some of the people who post
here who are in fact are too dumb to know that they are not smart. IE best
example B.G.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old November 12th 03, 12:26 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
I figure if this is true, then an improved mechanical system
could accelerate models to supersonic and hypersonic speeds
with an improved mechanical system.

Already thought on that, it will not be easy to design, plus the tip of a
whip does not mass much, you need to put as much engry into the system as is
needed to move the model that fast.

It is almost certainly cheaper and simpler to just build a rocket sled.
(Yes, there are supersonic and even hypersonic rocket sleds.)
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old November 12th 03, 03:45 PM
Ken S. Tucker

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in message ...

Hi Earl, this goes back awhile.

(Ken S. Tucker) :
I was asked awhile ago if supersonic or hypersonic catapults
were possible, to economically test modeled aircraft.
When I researched supersonic speeds created by humans
I found that the tip of a bull-whip was the first time humans
were able to consistently *break the sound barrier*.
Is this a myth? ie. Is it true that a *bull-whip's* tip breaks
the sound barrier at the tip?

I am pretty sure that is true, but ofcourse I could be wrong

Henry Spencer seems to think so too.

I figure if this is true, then an improved mechanical system
could accelerate models to supersonic and hypersonic speeds
with an improved mechanical system.

Already thought on that, it will not be easy to design, plus the tip of a
whip does not mass much, you need to put as much engry into the system as is
needed to move the model that fast.

The general principle I had in mind was to store the
energy in a flywheel. Then using the fact a flywheel
is moving slowly near the center and rapidly near
the circumference, spool on a cord starting near the
center. As it winds in the cord, the cord speed
accelerates, as it spools toward the circumference.

The model is attached to the cord of course and
detaches at a suitable time to glide away.

Earl Colby Pottinger

I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp

Regards Ken S. Tucker