Brightest Type ll ever!

Old October 11th 07, 08:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MAT[_2_]

Default Brightest Type ll ever!

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/news/...age.php?id=111

100 billion times brighter than the sun at 4.7 billion LY's away.

Old October 11th 07, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
eddie[_2_]

Sorry, dim Supernovae billions of miles away that I cannot see don't
interest me

Old October 12th 07, 02:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MAT[_2_]

"eddie" wrote in message
ps.com...
Sorry, dim Supernovae billions of miles away that I cannot see don't
interest me

What are you doing in this newsgroup then? Just another lurking loser maybe?

Old October 12th 07, 02:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

eddie wrote:
Sorry, dim Supernovae billions of miles away that I cannot see don't
interest me

Right. OK, the next time there's a Supernovae (dim or bright) less than
billions of miles away I'll be sure to let you know about it, in case
you miss it.
Old October 12th 07, 05:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BGM

eddie wrote:

Sorry, dim Supernovae billions of miles away that I cannot see don't
interest me

funny. Stop driving then!

Old October 12th 07, 05:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Margo Schulter

lal_truckee wrote:
eddie wrote:
Sorry, dim Supernovae billions of miles away that I cannot see don't
interest me

Right. OK, the next time there's a Supernovae (dim or bright) less than
billions of miles away I'll be sure to let you know about it, in case
you miss it.

Please let me possibly take some of the humor here as an opportunity
to marvel at the scale of our universe, and mention a point that has
evidently occurred to lots of people commenting on this event.

This supernova is at 4.7 billion _light years_ away.
There's a very striking near-coincidence he the actual explosion
happened about 4.7 billion years ago, or just before our own
Solar System (often dated to around 4.6 billion years) formed!
This period of time is equal to about a third of the age of our
universe since the Big Bang, now understood to be somewhere around
13.7 billion years.

Since we owe the heavier elements of our Solar System and planet,
including the ones from which our bodies are formed, to previous
stellar generations and their supernova explosions, the idea of
being to detect such an explosion from around the same epoch as the
birth of our own Sun is really exciting. I hope that lots people
hear about this, and the fascinating connection with our own
history.

Most appreciatively,

Margo Schulter

Lat. 38.566 Long. -121.430

Old October 12th 07, 06:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On 12 Oct 2007 04:42:50 GMT, Margo Schulter
wrote:

This supernova is at 4.7 billion _light years_ away.
There's a very striking near-coincidence he the actual explosion
happened about 4.7 billion years ago, or just before our own
Solar System (often dated to around 4.6 billion years) formed!

While the number is a curious one, it should be noted that the
distance-redshift and age-redshift relationships are different. That is,
a supernova that is 4.7 Gly away did not occur 4.7 Gy in the past.
Because of the expansion of space, it actually occurred more recently.
The most distant objects we observe are over 46 Gly distant, but are not
older than about 13.7 Gy.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 12th 07, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MAT[_2_]

This supernova is at 4.7 billion _light years_ away.
There's a very striking near-coincidence he the actual explosion
happened about 4.7 billion years ago, or just before our own
Solar System (often dated to around 4.6 billion years) formed!

While the number is a curious one, it should be noted that the
distance-redshift and age-redshift relationships are different. That is,
a supernova that is 4.7 Gly away did not occur 4.7 Gy in the past.
Because of the expansion of space, it actually occurred more recently.
The most distant objects we observe are over 46 Gly distant, but are not
older than about 13.7 Gy.

Isn't the observed red-shift indicative of the amount of stretching the
light underwent
over a certain distance?

Old October 12th 07, 02:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:51:53 GMT, "MAT" wrote:

Isn't the observed red-shift indicative of the amount of stretching the
light underwent
over a certain distance?

Yes.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 12th 07, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MAT[_2_]

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:51:53 GMT, "MAT" wrote:

Isn't the observed red-shift indicative of the amount of stretching the
light underwent
over a certain distance?

Yes.

Then what are you talking about? The article was written by people who
either got the information from people higher up the astronomy rung than you
or it was written by the real deals.