threading query

Old June 11th 07, 11:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Default threading query

Does anyone know what the size and threading is for the standard
thread-in reticle illuminaters? Might save me some trial and error time
down at the hardware store trying out all their likely looking SAE and
Metric bolts.

Here's hoping it's not British Standard - had MG-TD and Singer autos
once upon a time and the Brit tooling and threading was a PITA.
Old June 12th 07, 07:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Pyoe

lal_truckee wrote:

Does anyone know what the size and threading is for the standard
thread-in reticle illuminaters? Might save me some trial and error time
down at the hardware store trying out all their likely looking SAE and
Metric bolts.

Here's hoping it's not British Standard - had MG-TD and Singer autos
once upon a time and the Brit tooling and threading was a PITA.

good question. I am trying to fix one of the club's finders as I write -
took a break. People just must take things apart to make them work better
so with one finger poke into the recticle! In any event
I haveno idea what wire one uses. Years ago I was told nichrome
but that cant be right become it wont solder, so I have used thin
copper wire stretched and then soldered. Also did one with human hair and
glued it and that recticle still works years later. If youfind
out what wire to use let us all know! Probably something so special
only a auto body shop has it - smile.

Old June 12th 07, 11:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Roger Hamlett

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know what the size and threading is for the standard
thread-in reticle illuminaters? Might save me some trial and error time
down at the hardware store trying out all their likely looking SAE and
Metric bolts.

Here's hoping it's not British Standard - had MG-TD and Singer autos
once upon a time and the Brit tooling and threading was a PITA.

The one on my GM-8, measures as M6*1.
Suprised me, I expected it to be UNF or UNC (given the American source of
this, and that the mounting bolts are UNC), but it definately appears to
be metric.

Best Wishes

Old June 12th 07, 03:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Roger Hamlett wrote:
"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know what the size and threading is for the standard
thread-in reticle illuminaters? Might save me some trial and error time
down at the hardware store trying out all their likely looking SAE and
Metric bolts.

CLIP

The one on my GM-8, measures as M6*1.
Suprised me, I expected it to be UNF or UNC (given the American source of
this, and that the mounting bolts are UNC), but it definately appears to
be metric.

Interesting. From what I could gather from Googling 8mm was the
semi-standard so I thought my query was mostly about the thread pitch -
your 6mm tosses me another variable.

Illuminator internals look pretty simple so I thought I'd look into
building one since I have this illuminator eyepiece laying around.
Old June 13th 07, 05:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Roger Hamlett

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
t...
Roger Hamlett wrote:
"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know what the size and threading is for the standard
thread-in reticle illuminaters? Might save me some trial and error
time down at the hardware store trying out all their likely looking
SAE and Metric bolts.

CLIP

The one on my GM-8, measures as M6*1.
Suprised me, I expected it to be UNF or UNC (given the American source
of this, and that the mounting bolts are UNC), but it definately
appears to be metric.

Interesting. From what I could gather from Googling 8mm was the
semi-standard so I thought my query was mostly about the thread pitch -
your 6mm tosses me another variable.

Illuminator internals look pretty simple so I thought I'd look into
building one since I have this illuminator eyepiece laying around.

Hopefully we are talking about the same bit. The little LED illuminator,
that screws into the polar scope, or my Takahashi finder scope?. Can
confirm that the one on my AP, is also the same size.

As a further 'note', the body musn't be larger than 10mm diameter for the
first few mm. On the Takahashi, the threaded hole, is recessed into the
body of the finder by a couple of mm.

If you want, email me directly, and I'll send a photo of an illuminator,
with a M6 bolt for 'comparison'.
Maybe the ones on eyepieces are larger?.
Ah Ha!.
Can confirm this!. I have a 9mm illuminated reticule eyepiece as well.
This has a larger thread. This one is _imperial_ 5/16"*32TPI. One of the
special 'fine' UNF thread versions.
You are going to need to verify which thread your unit has.

I do love the standardisation in this...

Best Wishes

Old June 13th 07, 05:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:12:11 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

Ah Ha!.
Can confirm this!. I have a 9mm illuminated reticule eyepiece as well.
This has a larger thread. This one is _imperial_ 5/16"*32TPI. One of the
special 'fine' UNF thread versions.
You are going to need to verify which thread your unit has.

I have three devices that accept illuminators- a Meade finder and two
reticle eyepieces. All are 5/16-32 threads.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Meade filter threading [email protected] Astronomy Misc 4 June 28th 06 04:37 PM
Meade filter threading [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 June 28th 06 04:37 PM
FAQ Query John D. Tanner UK Astronomy 3 June 12th 05 07:06 PM
GPS Query Richard Griffith UK Astronomy 0 December 27th 04 07:59 AM
sun query Richard Griffith UK Astronomy 5 June 10th 04 11:21 PM