Reminder - Astronomy Day this Saturday May 6th, '06

Old May 4th 06, 01:59 PM posted to sci.astro.seti

Default Reminder - Astronomy Day this Saturday May 6th, '06

Every time I attend public events with my telescope, several people
will ask (of their own volition) whether or not I think there is life
in the universe. This is a good opportunity for SETI outreach.

Regards, Jason H.

Old May 5th 06, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.seti

Thanks for the link Peter. I noticed that the Astronomy Day events in
Orlando/Central Florida region are not listed there (or on other
websites either. My club for example is helping to staff two events at
the Orlando Science Center Planetarium, Seminole Community College
Planetarium and I'm aware of others in the region), and I'm guessing
that there are hundreds of events that aren't listed, so I would
recommend for those who are interested to also check with your local
Planetarium, Observatory, Museum, Astronomy Club or University for more
events.

Regards, Jason H.

Old May 8th 06, 02:45 AM posted to sci.astro.seti

Hello again Peter,

I see that you were busy on Astronomy day according to the
following article

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/new...l/14515542.htm

As positive as the overall piece is, perhaps the author had a few
errors? :^)

"Backus, from Mountain View, Calif., has spent the past 25 years
looking for little green men and trying to answer when ET phones home."

I would like to point out to the author that:
SETI researchers (generally) don't look for "little green men" (not
even in Ireland.)
And they aren't "...trying to answer when ET phones home" (ET was
pointing his umbrella dish skyward and SETI researchers are not on his
planet or mother ship to receive the signal, and even if they were,
they don't have the capability of "answer"ing.)

Golly-jeepers, gee-willikers, sheesh!!! Jason H.

wrote:
For more info on Astronomy Day events, check out

http://www.astroleague.org/al/astroday/adactiv06.html

....snip...