What do you define as a space station?

Old October 14th 05, 12:14 AM
S. Wand

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"S. Wand" wrote in message
So my question is what is your definition of 'space station'?

I'd define a space "station" as a vessel with limited autonomy, capable

of
keeping a person alive for more than 2 weeks with no outside input.

That
requires a means of generating electricity, regulating temperature, and
scrubbing the atmosphere. But requires regular resupply.

More than 2 weeks? Like a space shuttle? Or almost a Gemini.

I was trying to pick a time beyond the capability of fuel cells - about two
weeks for Gemini and Apollo, but I guess 30 days for a shuttle-sized
vehicle. Anyway, something solar, nuclear, (space tether?) powered.

Old October 14th 05, 12:23 AM
S. Wand

"blart" wrote in message
news
A space station is a space habitat - capable of supporting a significant
population of humans in comfort indefinitely. Such humans should be able

go about normal human activities, in a normal human way (no pooing into a
plastic bag for example)
As such artificial gravity is a must, and the only way we can think to do
that now is via Von Braun wheel.
This sets a minimum size so that coriolis forces and tidal forces don't
impinge noticibly - about 1km diameter.
Other parameters are set by the current limits of technology and
engineering, but are eminently doable.

So - we have not had anything like a space station yet, and until the
Chinese put one up, we won't be seeing one any time soon.

Artificial gravity might only be a must if you plan to return to a gravity
well. If you live out your days in space, the calcium/muscular loss may not
mean that much. Prehensile toes are all you need...

Old October 14th 05, 05:16 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

. ..

"S. Wand" wrote in message
So my question is what is your definition of 'space station'?

I'd define a space "station" as a vessel with limited autonomy,

capable
of
keeping a person alive for more than 2 weeks with no outside input.

That
requires a means of generating electricity, regulating temperature,

and
scrubbing the atmosphere. But requires regular resupply.

More than 2 weeks? Like a space shuttle? Or almost a Gemini.

I was trying to pick a time beyond the capability of fuel cells - about

two
weeks for Gemini and Apollo, but I guess 30 days for a shuttle-sized
vehicle. Anyway, something solar, nuclear, (space tether?) powered.

I know. I was just being nitpicky :-)

Old October 15th 05, 09:18 PM
Nicholas Waller

Default What do you define as a space station?

S. Wand wrote:

Artificial gravity might only be a must if you plan to return to a gravity
well. If you live out your days in space, the calcium/muscular loss may not
mean that much. Prehensile toes are all you need...

Here's a recent article from New Scientist on work at UCSF about
microgravity possibly suppressing the immune system. ""There is a
specific signal pathway that is not working in the absence of gravity,"
says Hughes-Fulford. "You're short-circuiting a whole lot of the immune
response - namely, the ability to proliferate T-cells - which shouldn't
be a surprise, because life evolved in Earth's gravity field."

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

--
Nick

Old October 16th 05, 07:05 AM
S. Wand

"Nicholas Waller" wrote in message
oups.com...

S. Wand wrote:

Artificial gravity might only be a must if you plan to return to a

gravity
well. If you live out your days in space, the calcium/muscular loss may

not
mean that much. Prehensile toes are all you need...

Here's a recent article from New Scientist on work at UCSF about
microgravity possibly suppressing the immune system. ""There is a
specific signal pathway that is not working in the absence of gravity,"
says Hughes-Fulford. "You're short-circuiting a whole lot of the immune
response - namely, the ability to proliferate T-cells - which shouldn't
be a surprise, because life evolved in Earth's gravity field."

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

--
Nick

Thanks for the link - I hadn't heard that before. Given the long flight
times to Mars, it seems that artificial G might be a requirement. I wonder
if lunar or Martian gravity would be sufficient to trigger the immune
response?

Old October 16th 05, 07:38 AM
Pat Flannery

S. Wand wrote:

Thanks for the link - I hadn't heard that before. Given the long flight
times to Mars, it seems that artificial G might be a requirement. I wonder
if lunar or Martian gravity would be sufficient to trigger the immune
response?

If we hadn't canceled one of the few worthwhile experiments on the ISS -
the centrifuge module - we might have actually been able to determine that.

Pat
Old October 17th 05, 03:39 AM
blart

Indeed

There are a lot of really basic questions STILL unanswered after 4 decades
of space 'exploration'.
IMHO you HAVE to have artificial gravity - how much remains to be seen, but
this is probably the fundamental question to be answered.

How to accomplish this is a matter of engineering, considerably easier than
engineering 'humans' to do without gravity.

I like to picture a Von Braun Wheel, about a km across, with inflatables
shielded by water for living areas, and a decore somewhat similar to the
insides of the Enterprise - Picards suite would be nice...

Large, inflatable recreation areas for enjoying zero g, and having a look at
Earth, maybe a large water filled structure for shielding and scuba diving -
a 'Barrier Reef' populated with a nice selection of fish - nice to look at,
nice to eat; perhaps trips to the Moon or Mars to assist with pioneering
efforts - but nothing too strenuous - let the robots do the risky stuff.

Fantasy - probably, but there is no technological or engineering reason not
to have this
Why - well why not? sounds like FUN, what better reason is there for
anything
Will it ever happen - jeeeez I hope so

cheers

ps: I think I am going to do a degree in mining engineering, it may be my
best shot at getting into space!
And my poor old Dad, GorBlessIm, would be spinning in his grave if he knew -
he went into the coal mines at age 14...
and vowed his child would never have to the same, little did he know that it
may be the best chance for his offspring to space, rather than
astrophysics...

the irony, the irony